Author Topic: The Privacy Policy change all sites are doing  (Read 1507 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Obviously nothing is held here at NSF HQ, like e-mail addresses used to sign up to the forum, etc. Our web stuff is a mix of Wordpress, SMF...and Paypal for subscriptions for example.

Noticed SMF (for the forum) thankfully didn't take the route most sites have been taking with that annoying "policy" e-mail and instead it simply flashes up with a "agree, don't agree" page, a bit like the one when you first signed up to the forum. Happened for me when I was going between threads, so it looks automatic.

-- Edit. That was thanks to Mark, I've just noticed :)

Looks very simple, but covers the bases. For example, I'm pretty sure the "DOB" is because some SMF forums require that. We don't. So yeah, I think you'll all see that today. Can't remember if it's worldwide or just European. If the latter it might just happen for people on European IPs.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2018 12:35 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

Re: The Privacy Policy change all sites are doing
« Reply #1 on: 05/26/2018 01:12 pm »
Heh, some sites have been snoozing over this!

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 389
  • Likes Given: 301
Re: The Privacy Policy change all sites are doing
« Reply #2 on: 05/26/2018 01:59 pm »
Heh, some sites have been snoozing over this!
Newspaper sites that are blocking access to readers in the EU include: The Los Angeles Times, The New York Daily News and the Chicago Tribune.  There are several others doing the same.

This may get messy very quickly:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40577794/google-and-facebook-are-already-accused-of-breaking-gdpr-laws
« Last Edit: 05/26/2018 02:05 pm by Eric Hedman »

Tags: