Author Topic: Schedule for First SLS Core Stage Still Sliding  (Read 21708 times)

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2949
  • Likes Given: 3890
Re: Schedule for First SLS Core Stage Still Sliding
« Reply #120 on: 06/07/2018 02:23 AM »
In a perfect world, I'd love to cancel SLS and Orion and channel all the money to BO and SpaceX and we'd have moon bases and Mars bases in ten years.

Except that Moon and Mars bases are not the reason why Congress created the SLS, since Congress (and the U.S. Government as a whole) currently has no plans for Moon or Mars bases. If they did have such plans they would have funded them, since there should be no doubt that Boeing can build a safe, workable rocket, and there is plenty that needs to be worked on so that payloads are ready for when the SLS is operational.

We're stuck with SLS until it is superseded by something far superior.

As a government transportation system, the SLS will exist for as long as Congress wants to fund it, regardless of what it is doing or slated to do.

Notice in all of this how little attention these schedule slips get in Congress. The SLS is a $35B program, and Congress stipulated in 2010 that the SLS was supposed to be operational by December 31, 2016.

I was 13 when man landed on the moon, 62 now, and like to see humans on the surface of the moon before I die.

We've had the ability to return to the Moon since Apollo, yet Congress has refused (so far) to fund any plans to return. That's not because of a lack of interest, but because of the cost vs the value to the U.S. Taxpayer.

So my suggestion is that if you want to see humans return to the Moon before your untimely demise, then I suggest you support all efforts to lower the cost to access space, travel through space, and to stay in space. Because it has been money (or the lack thereof) that has kept us from returning to the Moon, so money is the issue that has to be solved.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline MaxTeranous

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Schedule for First SLS Core Stage Still Sliding
« Reply #121 on: 06/07/2018 12:34 PM »
So my suggestion is that if you want to see humans return to the Moon before your untimely demise, then I suggest you support all efforts to lower the cost to access space, travel through space, and to stay in space. Because it has been money (or the lack thereof) that has kept us from returning to the Moon, so money is the issue that has to be solved.

I think with all the changes that we've seen in spaceflight over the past few years, it's no longer lack of money that's the problem, more specifically it's the money allocation that's the problem. 15 years ago, $4 bill/year for 5 years wouldn't get us to the Moon. Now, $4 bil/year to "Old Space" companies wouldn't get us to the Moon either. But $4 bil/year to New Space almost certainly would !

Tags: