Author Topic: Pad 39A - SpaceX Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy - Post Transition (Thread 4)  (Read 7503 times)

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 1051
Isn't that a tent which has been up for a while and is now being removed?  I thought it was near the HIF during the last hurricane.

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 538
Enclosing the tower would be a big change in how the tower acts in high winds (e.g. hurricanes; this is Florida, remember).  There's more to consider than just if it would make maintenance cheaper/easier.
Not at all.  The FSS is built stronger than the VAB, and they don't worry about the VAB.  The FSS would fail because of rust first.  I don't think wind is their primary concern.  It's the salt air, ultraviolet light, etc.
And the siding would rip off first before the structure took much wind loads.

I used to manage a hangar built for two C-130's.  They didn't build it strong enough for tornado force winds, but it's held up to some pretty strong winds.  That cladding isn't going to be thin siding like you see in standard industrial buildings.  I think they have engineers to pick the right materials.
It would likely be similar materials used on other pads (E.G. SLC-6 and former CCAFS ITL FSS's and MST's formerly standing at SLC-40 and SLC-41.

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 308
  • Likes Given: 812
is the far side of the tower covered in any of the renders? if its only for blast protection you'd think they'd skip the leeward side?

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 674
  • Likes Given: 1101
is the far side of the tower covered in any of the renders? if its only for blast protection you'd think they'd skip the leeward side?

Itís much easier to render and the focus is the rocket, not the steel structure.  I donít see this as an issue.

Enclosing the tower would create maintenance issues and hugely change the structural loads. 

Itís been there for 40 years, why change whatís not broken?
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline ngilmore

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 66

Itís much easier to render and the focus is the rocket, not the steel structure.  I donít see this as an issue.

Please see woods170 post from April 5th in Pad 39A Thread 3. Since the artist(s) actually did model the steel structure of the tower, I think we can drop "simplification of the rendering" as a reason to ignore the renderings. As woods170 points out in his annotations, we can even see future planned structure in the rendering.

The fun thing is that the new "In between" level was revealed publically almost two years ago, yet almost nobody noticed it at the time.
It was when SpaceX released two pieces of artwork detailing the launch of Red Dragon. One of them is a close-up of Falcon Heavy, carrying a Red Dragon, lifting off from LC-39A.
The cladding that covers the FSS is, in that artwork, slightly transparent and reveals the structure of the FSS underneath the cladding.

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: 05/16/2018 05:16 AM by ngilmore »

Offline BadgerLegs

• North Carolina Sandhills
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 15
I donít see this as an issue.

Enclosing the tower would create maintenance issues and hugely change the structural loads. 

Itís been there for 40 years, why change whatís not broken?

Having maintained a structure of similar size and complexity (though admittedly shorter), I can say you're going to have to qualify your opinion some.  Others have already echoed what I've said that maintenance is simplified by enclosing the structure.  The, "if it's not broke" mentality is not an engineering principle.  Especially since we're talking about SpaceX here.  I don't think they're just trowing money out there without good reason.

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 538
Reports of higher than normal crane activity at 39A per some people whom just went on a KSC tour.

Online jjyach

• Denver, CO
  • Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 37
Reports of higher than normal crane activity at 39A per some people whom just went on a KSC tour.

There are 3 cranes on site, 2 that are very tall.

Tags: