Author Topic: Mike Jenne Blue Gemini trilogy  (Read 624 times)

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 393
  • Likes Given: 955
Mike Jenne Blue Gemini trilogy
« on: 05/10/2018 04:25 PM »
http://www.mikejennebooks.com/

As said in the tin. Are they good readings ?
... that ackward moment when you realize that Jeff Bezos personal fortune is far above NASA annual budget... 115 billion to 18 billion...

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1639
Re: Mike Jenne Blue Gemini trilogy
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2018 08:46 PM »
It is one of my favorite trilogies.  I compare it to a Tom Clancy tech thriller, not really alternate history but close to it.  After reading, I really felt like it could have happened.  The tech is very real too, and I love the characters.  I did build a few models from it!

Offline DaveJ576

• Portage, MI
    • Pigboats.com
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 62
Re: Mike Jenne Blue Gemini trilogy
« Reply #2 on: 05/20/2018 11:10 AM »
Mike's books were very well researched and written, but if you read them with the idea that you will be reading a space thriller you will be disappointed. Throughout the three books only roughly 40% directly covers actual space missions. The rest is taken up with sub-plots that have very little to do with Blue Gemini. The pacing in the first book is almost glacially slow, and you don't get to the flight portion until the last quarter of the book. The third book delves deeply into a Vietnam sub-plot that does keep you engaged, but the spaceflight portion makes up only a small part of the plot.

With all that said, Mike is a highly capable and able author. His characters are well flushed out, believeable, and likeable. His Blue Gemini program is well thought out and accurately handled when it shows up. I liked the books and would recommend them, the scenes of the Paraglider Gemini swooping in for a landing were indeed thrilling. But at the end I was a little disappointed that the storytelling got so distracted with sub-plots that were only tangentially related to the main premise.
"We have a pitch and a roll program and man this baby is really going!"

Tags: