Author Topic: BFR Manufacturing Facility in San Pedro (Los Angeles)  (Read 50094 times)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4609
  • Likes Given: 2768
Re: BFR Manufacturing Facility in San Pedro (Los Angeles)
« Reply #400 on: 01/18/2019 07:50 pm »
The quote was that Falcon&Dragon ops will remain in the Port of LA. This can be the original Falcon site instead of a part of the new lease.
And we have no info about the tent site.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood it then. Do you have the source quote?

Offline enbandi

• Hungary
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #401 on: 01/18/2019 07:58 pm »
Its from the SpaceX statement. In this form from the LAtimes article:

The SpaceX statement said the Starship decision “does not impact our current manufacture, design, and launch operations in Hawthorne and Vandenberg Air Force Base” and that the company will “continue recovery operations of our reusable Falcon rockets and Dragon spacecraft at the Port of Los Angeles.”
« Last Edit: 01/18/2019 08:02 pm by enbandi »

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #402 on: 01/18/2019 08:06 pm »
What is the status for the lease on the BFTent area? While it's not a 'permanent' building, it is a factory sufficiently sized to handle monolithic SH/SS sized parts and that has been making and handling said parts for a significant period of time. Build tank/hull segments at Hawthorne plant (along with Raptors, and all the various wiring/plumbing/actuators/etc), road the parts to the BFTent for assembly into a full vehicle, then ship it (via ship) to Boca Chica to be offloaded and tested prior to launch.

Why assemble in the BFTent rather than on-site Boca Chica? So you don't have to relocate a large number of staff to the other side of the country. And minor cost savings from not having to run a large haulage fleet (more expensive than moving the same amount via sea freight). The only downside is that you then need to overland the completed vehicles from Brownsville port to Boca Chica rather than just shuttling them around the Boca Chica site itself.

And I as I understand it that is one of the roadblocks. The wide enough roads are not completed yet and maybe as long as a year(Any better estimate?) to be done.

Maybe after brownsville to boca chica road gets finished then san pedro assembly for "final" version can be used. But in the mean time the prototypes need to get going fast.
Until the roads are completed, a handful of vehicles can be delivered at slow pace the same way larger and MUCH heavier objects are transported: slowly, and using portable load distribution surfaces (e.g. big sturdy sheets to lay down in front of the crawler).

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 730
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #403 on: 03/07/2019 01:18 am »
It looks like the temporary BFR/Starship tent facility no longer exists.

Edit: Keep reading below. This might just be definitely was bad imagery.
« Last Edit: 03/08/2019 05:51 am by theinternetftw »

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2756
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #404 on: 03/07/2019 04:31 am »
Or they had Google replace  that with-Sprung image with a pre-Sprung image.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2019 06:22 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline su27k

• Liked: 1296
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #405 on: 03/07/2019 06:37 am »
It looks like the temporary BFR/Starship tent facility no longer exists.

Are you sure? Planet.com shows it's still there on Feb 19, 2019

Use this shortened link created by Ronsmytheiii in this post, click "Browse", then Feb 19, 2019
« Last Edit: 03/07/2019 06:38 am by su27k »

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
« Reply #406 on: 03/07/2019 07:14 am »
Are you sure? Planet.com shows it's still there on Feb 19, 2019

If Planet's visible thumbnails for their paid products are accurate, it's still there in part of March as well.

Further conflicting evidence is that while I can't find the current tentless photos that you can see on Google Maps in Google Earth Pro's history function, I can find a site setup that's a lot like the one being shown, and it dates back to October 2016.  You'd have to go back through two and half years worth of imagery to get a scene like this.

If that's the case, what's 2016 imagery doing on Google Maps in 2019, when the tent was available to see in multiple instances of imagery for large swaths of the past year?  Surely if they got an ITAR call or some such, they'd just blur or censor it?
« Last Edit: 03/07/2019 08:03 am by theinternetftw »

Offline su27k

• Liked: 1296
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #407 on: 03/08/2019 01:55 am »
If that's the case, what's 2016 imagery doing on Google Maps in 2019, when the tent was available to see in multiple instances of imagery for large swaths of the past year?  Surely if they got an ITAR call or some such, they'd just blur or censor it?

I think it's just a quirk of google map, it's not too good at letting us go through satellite images from history via precise date/time. If I go to your google map link, I can see the tent, and it says the image is from 2019.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #408 on: 03/08/2019 02:52 am »
Google Earth for desktop is free and allows scrolling through historical imagery more easily than Google Maps.

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
« Reply #409 on: 03/08/2019 03:39 am »
For the record, it's been confirmed that the tent indeed still exists.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4609
  • Likes Given: 2768
« Reply #410 on: 03/08/2019 04:58 am »
For the record, it's been confirmed that the tent indeed still exists.

Right. You can not take the various commercial satellite/air view providers at their word for dating images. You need truth from the ground.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 205
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #411 on: 03/13/2019 02:51 pm »
Truth is they took that temporary building down yesterday.
« Last Edit: 03/13/2019 02:53 pm by D_Dom »
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1298
  • Likes Given: 1241
« Reply #412 on: 03/13/2019 04:23 pm »
/thread

Online 2megs

• Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #413 on: 03/20/2019 11:00 am »
Epilogue: Some pictures of the scrapped mandrel and tooling. That's not gonna buff out.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-all-in-steel-starship-super-heavy/

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5615
  • Likes Given: 951
« Reply #414 on: 03/20/2019 12:27 pm »
#neverLookBack
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8965
  • Likes Given: 5771
« Reply #415 on: 03/20/2019 01:11 pm »
#burntheships
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Wargrim

• Berlin, Germany
  • Liked: 301
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #416 on: 03/20/2019 02:33 pm »
Hm that tent was fully useable and made of road-transportable segments. A shame they scrapped it too, they probably did not even bother looking for a buyer.

As for the way more expensive tooling, well, i dont think there are many buyers for barely used 9m carbon fiber cylinder production tooling. So unsellable -> scrap away.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 3212
  • Likes Given: 1602
« Reply #417 on: 03/20/2019 02:47 pm »
Hm that tent was fully useable and made of road-transportable segments. A shame they scrapped it too, they probably did not even bother looking for a buyer.

As for the way more expensive tooling, well, i dont think there are many buyers for barely used 9m carbon fiber cylinder production tooling. So unsellable -> scrap away.

I'd be very surprised if they scrapped the tent. It's designed for easy disassembly, transportation, and small storage footprint, and I'm sure they have other uses for it.

The big mandrel would be much more difficult to disassemble, transport, or use for anything else.

Offline RoboGoofers

• NJ
  • Liked: 305
  • Likes Given: 297
« Reply #418 on: 03/20/2019 05:52 pm »

I'd be very surprised if they scrapped the tent. It's designed for easy disassembly, transportation, and small storage footprint, and I'm sure they have other uses for it.

The big mandrel would be much more difficult to disassemble, transport, or use for anything else.
Well then they sure had a whole bunch of metal piping inside that tent.

Tags: