Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 7  (Read 162377 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Thread 7 for SpaceX's development of a Boca Chica launch site.

Previous threads.

Thread 1 COVERAGE
   Thread 2 COVERAGE
   Thread 3 COVERAGE   
   Thread 4 COVERAGE
   Thread 5 COVERAGE
   Thread 6 COVERAGE

L2 Coverage:
  Master L2 Level All SpaceX Launch Facilities Section

Remember the rules of posting here, from civility, to on topic, to not copyright breaching, etc. etc. Don't make us get the big stick out! ;)

Offline joesmith

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 61
Nomad, when are you getting back out to Boca Chica for some on-the-scene reporting?
« Last Edit: 05/06/2018 03:24 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10336
  • Likes Given: 412
 NET 28 May. Return day probability of violating beer drinking at beachfront bars restraint: 40%.
 Primary concern(s): enjoying that more than going back to a mosquito infested swamp rule.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online HeartofGold2030

• England
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  That photo came from an earlier version of this thread. I took it.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline BadgerLegs

• North Carolina Sandhills
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 29
  That photo came from an earlier version of this thread. I took it.
Watermarks? 

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 441
  • Likes Given: 568
A picture of the crane shed:  http://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=SpaceX%20Texas%20&src=typed_query

HeartofGold2030, welcome to the forum.  Please see my signature below for guidance on how to properly embed information from outside sources (e.g. Twitter).  In this case, the tweet from yesterday is using an old photo but providing new news (or at least a rumor).  To wit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CowboyDanPaasch/status/992891144462831616

Meanwhile in South #TEXAS: This week, @SpaceX allegedly is having a roll-up door installed on the big shed they had built around the newish marine crane assembly parts. #Progress #FlyBocaChica : @Nomadd2029
« Last Edit: 05/06/2018 03:37 pm by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline groundbound

• Liked: 202
  • Likes Given: 8
A picture of the crane shed:  http://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=SpaceX%20Texas%20&src=typed_query

HeartofGold2030, welcome to the forum.  Please see my signature below for guidance on how to properly embed information from outside sources (e.g. Twitter).  In this case, the tweet from yesterday is using an old photo but providing new news (or at least a rumor).  To wit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CowboyDanPaasch/status/992891144462831616

Meanwhile in South #TEXAS: This week, @SpaceX allegedly is having a roll-up door installed on the big shed they had built around the newish marine crane assembly parts. #Progress #FlyBocaChica : @Nomadd2029

Speculation: the roll-up door is being installed so that aforementioned large insects do not abscond with the crane.

Offline bocachicagal

• boca chica
  • Liked: 3802
  • Likes Given: 35
The crane shed with it's new door. A couple of garages were installed on the two pads within gate B2.
My name is NOT Maria.

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 1994
  • Likes Given: 240
The crane shed with it's new door. A couple of garages were installed on the two pads within gate B2.
Looks like R-19 insulation. Meaning the ďshedĒ will be occupied by people. Most likely some maintenance and repair space along with more permanent construction office space.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 7
« Reply #10 on: 05/06/2018 08:17 pm »
 The dishes still need considerable work and they might need them going for the first D2 flight, so they could be moving on that project.

Online testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #11 on: 05/06/2018 08:34 pm »
Still a very very very long way from the activity expected after the Falcon Heavy launch.  Itís a long way to go even for limited operations, didnít say launch, in late 2018.  Is it time to discuss the reasons for the lack of progress?
« Last Edit: 05/06/2018 08:41 pm by testguy »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2059
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2018 12:19 am »
Still a very very very long way from the activity expected after the Falcon Heavy launch.  Itís a long way to go even for limited operations, didnít say launch, in late 2018.  Is it time to discuss the reasons for the lack of progress?
The idea that SpaceX would instantaneously transition from the Cape to Boca after the first FH launch was a minority opinion not widely shared AFAICT.

In the Cape threads there are continued reports of work being done on LC-39A to transition it from FH to Block 5 as well as to install the crew access arm and other modifications needed for crew dragon.  In fact, one rumor seemed to pin the delay of the first Block 5 launch on delays finishing up the pad work.

I wouldn't be surprised if significant resources weren't shifted from the Cape to BC until the Crew Access Arm was installed at LC-39A, at least.
« Last Edit: 05/07/2018 01:17 am by cscott »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4453
  • Likes Given: 2696
« Reply #13 on: 05/07/2018 12:22 am »

It does seem like BC might be changing initial focus from a F9/FH launch pad to a BFS/BFR test site. (although it could be both) Perhaps this is part of the delays.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA -- previously in Ann Arbor, MI
  • Liked: 833
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #14 on: 05/09/2018 03:38 am »
My 2 cents for what it's worth:

* Boca Chica won't be used for a F9/FH launch site. There is no need for it.
* For the very near term Boca Chica will be for Crew Dragon tracking.
* For the somewhat near term Boca Chica will be for BFS testing (TBD if BFR testing will be done there or not).
* BFS will floated in via the harbor, and BFS will never go to McGregor unless it is welded together in McGregor and stays in McGregor after being welded.
* I see no future for putting a floating platform off shore of Boca Chica until they're nearing full scale BFR/BFS testing which wont happen for several more years. Even then, why put it off shore of Boca Chica when they can put it off shore of LA where they're building it. It doesn't make sense to me.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2018 03:53 am by mlindner »
Internal combustion engine in space. It's just a Bad Idea.TM - Robotbeat

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2644
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: 05/09/2018 07:03 am »
My 2 cents for what it's worth:

>
* For the somewhat near term Boca Chica will be for BFS testing (TBD if BFR testing will be done there or not).

* BFS will floated in via the harbor, and BFS will never go to McGregor unless it is welded together in McGregor and stays in McGregor after being welded.
>

I'm thinking that the BFx thrust structures will be road  transportable before assembly, but no welding because they'll be bolted together like Block 5's Octaweb.

Reconfigurable, transportable etc..
DM

Offline joesmith

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #16 on: 05/09/2018 04:22 pm »
......will the BFx structure be landing back into the clamps used on launch?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4453
  • Likes Given: 2696
« Reply #17 on: 05/09/2018 04:36 pm »
......will the BFx structure be landing back into the clamps used on launch?

The BFB, yes, but not the BFS.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8430
  • Likes Given: 6777
« Reply #18 on: 05/09/2018 08:19 pm »
* I see no future for putting a floating platform off shore of Boca Chica until they're nearing full scale BFR/BFS testing which wont happen for several more years. Even then, why put it off shore of Boca Chica when they can put it off shore of LA where they're building it. It doesn't make sense to me.

Offshore of LA doesn't allow launch to the east. So I am dubious of them doing a platform there early (prior to P2P or production level launches for Skylink)
« Last Edit: 05/09/2018 08:21 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline biosehnsucht

• Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #19 on: 05/09/2018 10:44 pm »
If you're just doing suborbital test hops, there's no reason you have to fly in any given direction. You could flight off the shore of LA if you wanted... but it's a busy area, lots of air and sea traffic. Easier to do it someplace like Boca Chica, especially if doing it using off shore platform anyways.

Tags: