Author Topic: Orbital ATK OmegA (NGL) Rocket UPDATES/DISCUSSION - Thread 2  (Read 27880 times)

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1197
  • Likes Given: 1023
Re: Orbital ATK OmegA (NGL) Rocket UPDATES/DISCUSSION - Thread 2
« Reply #100 on: 08/02/2018 04:20 PM »
It is very well written, however it is also clearly from someone who is very pro-OmegA and seems to have some insight into the program beyond what's generally known.  It could be used as a PR piece supporting OmegA, honestly.  The stuff about how OrbATK is great with security and working with contractors in that environment, and the implication the post-Zuma back-and-forth wouldn't have happened - and in fact, maybe the presumed loss of the satellite might not have happened with them - is really weak sauce.

I'm not saying this to dismiss the content - it's very good! - but there's clearly a bias as well.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2018 04:26 PM by abaddon »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2553
  • Likes Given: 529
« Reply #101 on: 08/02/2018 08:09 PM »
It is very well written, however it is also clearly from someone who is very pro-OmegA and seems to have some insight into the program beyond what's generally known.  It could be used as a PR piece supporting OmegA, honestly.  The stuff about how OrbATK is great with security and working with contractors in that environment, and the implication the post-Zuma back-and-forth wouldn't have happened - and in fact, maybe the presumed loss of the satellite might not have happened with them - is really weak sauce.

I'm not saying this to dismiss the content - it's very good! - but there's clearly a bias as well.

Agreed, and the description of the solid propellant formulation and grain design is so detailed that it wouldn't surprise me if this guy is/was an ATK solid propulsion engineer.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #102 on: 08/02/2018 09:20 PM »
I'd just like to point out that if they renamed the rocket Onega they could capitalize the letters of Orbital, ATK, and Northrop Grumman. ONeGA.

I'll let myself out.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #103 on: 08/03/2018 07:24 AM »
I'd just like to point out that if they renamed the rocket Onega they could capitalize the letters of Orbital, ATK, and Northrop Grumman. ONeGA.

I'll let myself out.

You do realize that the most common web search result for Onega is a lake near Saint Petersburg Russia?

Somehow renaming the OmegA for a Russian lake seems far fetch. However with the current POTUS that is not totally impossible.  ::)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3951
  • Likes Given: 756
« Reply #104 on: 08/03/2018 05:58 PM »
Northrop Grumman Omega is how I write it.  We'll find out shortly if we have to keep writing the name, at least for awhile longer.

- Ed Kyle

Offline JH

• Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #105 on: 08/03/2018 06:26 PM »
The dual capitalization is used on its page on the Northrop Grumman website:

https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/omega/Pages/default.aspx

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #106 on: 08/03/2018 06:38 PM »
The dual capitalization is used on its page on the Northrop Grumman website:

https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/omega/Pages/default.aspx
Yes, I know, but it (the capitalization of the last letter) is an abomination.  I refuse!

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 08/03/2018 06:39 PM by edkyle99 »

Online GreenShrike

• Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 520
« Reply #107 on: 08/03/2018 06:56 PM »
Agreed, and the description of the solid propellant formulation and grain design is so detailed that it wouldn't surprise me if this guy is/was an ATK solid propulsion engineer.

I sent him a note about an error in one of his links, plus a couple thoughts of my own.

In his response, he stated that he wasn't "an Orbital ATK person or with Northrop, so I have no horse in this race."

Doesn't rule out past association, of course. The fact that he wrote "OmegA" even in private correspondence leads me to think at least a little koolaid has been sipped. Capital "abomination" is right. ;-)

TriOptimum Corporation            Science
                                      Military /_\ Consumer

Offline JH

• Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #108 on: 08/03/2018 09:04 PM »
Yes, I know, but it (the capitalization of the last letter) is an abomination.  I refuse!

Eh, I'm still grateful that we don't have to refer to the ULA "GalaxyOne"...

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2553
  • Likes Given: 529
« Reply #109 on: 08/04/2018 02:13 AM »

I sent him a note about an error in one of his links, plus a couple thoughts of my own.

In his response, he stated that he wasn't "an Orbital ATK person or with Northrop, so I have no horse in this race."

Doesn't rule out past association, of course. The fact that he wrote "OmegA" even in private correspondence leads me to think at least a little koolaid has been sipped. Capital "abomination" is right. ;-)

Well, for someone with no horse in the race, he does seem unusually well acquainted with at least one of the horses.

Thanks for reporting his reply.
« Last Edit: 08/04/2018 02:14 AM by Kabloona »

Offline jbenton

• Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 214
« Reply #110 on: 08/05/2018 05:52 PM »
The OmegA uses a shuttle derived booster that should have some commonality with that used on SLS. I was wondering though: is it going to be more similar to the current 5-segment boosters, or the more powerful 4-segment "Dark Night" advanced boosters? I'm assuming that the composite casing is the same as on the Dark Nights, but are they using the propellant mixture from the Block I boosters or the type that they developed for the Dark Nights?
Thanks.

I read this thread and the previous thread as well as the speculation thread. I saw a bunch of references to the SLS but not a determinate answer to this question.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
« Reply #111 on: 08/05/2018 06:22 PM »
The OmegA uses a shuttle derived booster that should have some commonality with that used on SLS. I was wondering though: is it going to be more similar to the current 5-segment boosters, or the more powerful 4-segment "Dark Night" advanced boosters? I'm assuming that the composite casing is the same as on the Dark Nights, but are they using the propellant mixture from the Block I boosters or the type that they developed for the Dark Nights?
Thanks.

I read this thread and the previous thread as well as the speculation thread. I saw a bunch of references to the SLS but not a determinate answer to this question.
The new Common Booster Segment is just that - new.  It shares the same general diameter with the STS/SLS booster, but most everything else differs.  It uses a composite case rather than steel.  It is longer than an STS/SLS segment.  It is HTPB rather than PBAN.  Etc.

The general assumption is that the Common Booster Segment development effort would eventually spill over to be shared with SLS, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 08/05/2018 06:23 PM by edkyle99 »

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #112 on: 08/05/2018 06:25 PM »

The fact that he wrote "OmegA" even in private correspondence leads me to think at least a little koolaid has been sipped. Capital "abomination" is right. ;-)

Still not as bad as "SpaceShipTwo"!

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 802
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #113 on: 10/10/2018 09:38 PM »
NGIS OmegA launch vehicle wins USAF launch services contract

Orbital Sciences Corp., Chandler, Arizona, has been awarded a $791,601,015 other-transaction agreement for the development of a Launch System Prototype for the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program

https://dod.defense.gov/News/Contracts/Contract-View/Article/1658771/
And this is a good reminder that just because one of your fellow space enthusiasts occasionally voices doubts about the SpaceX schedule announcements or is cautious about believing SpaceX has licked a problem before actually seeing proof that's true, it doesn't mean they hate SpaceX.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3669
  • Likes Given: 2260
« Reply #114 on: 10/10/2018 09:52 PM »
NGIS OmegA launch vehicle wins USAF launch services contract

Orbital Sciences Corp., Chandler, Arizona, has been awarded a $791,601,015 other-transaction agreement for the development of a Launch System Prototype for the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program

https://dod.defense.gov/News/Contracts/Contract-View/Article/1658771/

Interesting. They are really heading their bets here with juicy contracts...
$1 billion for Vulcan
$800 million for OmegA
$500 million for New Glenn.

Looks like Xmas came early. :)

Offline Chris Bergin

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/10/ngis-highlights-air-force-contract-win-omega/ - by Chris Gebhardt who visited their base and interviewed the officials face to face. Another article to come from it.

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1050853823303090177

Creating a standalone thread for specific discussion in this section.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1172
  • Likes Given: 7837
« Reply #116 on: 10/12/2018 09:26 PM »
Big solids make great weapon systems.

As long as they are not segmented, or have any requirement to be shut down in an emergency (the smallish ones on Atlas V can be jettisoned relatively easily).

So my question would be what will be powering the successor to Trident? Could this be it?

If you didn't have a skills base in solids that you wanted to preserve (or wanted to acquire) what good are they?

And note that once NASA walked away from actually funding Liberty for CCC all promises of company funded development would continue blew away like leaves in the wind.

Let's see if this goes anywhere other than the bottom line of NGL's company report.
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #117 on: 10/12/2018 10:33 PM »

So my question would be what will be powering the successor to Trident? Could this be it?

Some of the technology likely, but the motor is far too large for a submarine.

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 597
« Reply #118 on: 10/12/2018 11:06 PM »
Big solids make great weapon systems.

As long as they are not segmented, or have any requirement to be shut down in an emergency (the smallish ones on Atlas V can be jettisoned relatively easily).

If you didn't have a skills base in solids that you wanted to preserve (or wanted to acquire) what good are they?

And note that once NASA walked away from actually funding Liberty for CCC all promises of company funded development would continue blew away like leaves in the wind.

Let's see if this goes anywhere other than the bottom line of NGL's company report.
CBS is a cross and combination of Castor-120 heritage and modern experiments done under the AFRL/NRL Large Class Stage programme (LCS-1 through LCS-III stage motors equal an ICBM of Peacekeeper class (civilian versions of LCS motors Castor-120XL and Castor-30XL are now about to/already flying on NGIS rockets) and other motor programmes (STS SRB et cetera).

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5578
  • Likes Given: 716
« Reply #119 on: 10/13/2018 02:48 AM »

Comparing a paper rocket (Liberty) to one that is physical (OmegA) is a quick way to try to connect two things that have nothing to do with each other.   As the article states, NGL has already poured a significant amount of money into this rocket.  So your assertion of "let's see if they self-fund it" is already moot. 

I would also say that you should listen/read the full interview on L2.  OmegA is not a paper rocket.  And, as the article also reported, even if they don't continue to Phase 2 of the contract, OmegA will still exist in some capacity.

Tags: updates