Author Topic: Developing the New NSF Online Store  (Read 3925 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Developing the New NSF Online Store
« on: 03/14/2018 12:58 PM »
We've had various versions of this over the years, the last being a cafepress store for merchandise with the previous logo on it.

Served its role. I still have various items and they've lasted well, but we really need to take advantage of the latest online store models and also have a lot more than just mugs and such with the site's logo on it. NSF likes to be different.

Wish list includes:

Ability to remotely design products (baseline products, add designs...calendars, etc.)
Quality of product.
Product range.
International shipping.
Discount code ability for L2 members.

The standard line would be items with the site's logo, but unique merchandise, utilizing our amazing photographers and render experts is attractive to me, so will likely be attractive to most on here and such items could be revenue shared promotions.

Throw your ideas in here, also links to other online stores you've had good experiences with as potential merchants and so on. Everything good we do here is thanks to the large community coming up with the best ideas.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 347
Re: Developing the New NSF Online Store
« Reply #1 on: 03/14/2018 09:42 PM »
Have you considered using shopify? A lot of newer estores are using it. Push Plastics, fillastuder, are two great examples if you are into 3D printing. It supports all major payment systems like standard CCs, Apple pay, amazon pay and others. It super nice on both mobile and desktop.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2018 02:50 PM »
So, spreadshirt?

ESA's store looks amazing per that foundation:
https://shop.spreadshirt.net/esashop/

Online mtakala24

« Reply #3 on: 05/09/2018 06:38 PM »
Would buy many things to support the site. ESA shop looks good indeed.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 09/28/2018 10:20 PM »
Right folks. I want to revisit this and drive it forward with the goal of going live in October in good time for Christmas.

I'll do some looking into things like Spreadshirt, but I'll take feedback and anyone with experience of such stores can chime in on advice, help with set up.

I now have a super quality PNG of the site logo as the opening round of products (obvious products being the logo - I want a NSF iPhone cover for example - and we build from there via our talented content producers/rev splits etc.).

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 09/28/2018 10:53 PM »
Baseball CAP with LOGO

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7738
  • Likes Given: 5656
« Reply #6 on: 09/28/2018 11:32 PM »
If you have the logo vectorised that's helpful too (.svg format for example) as then it scales to any size and never any dither jaggies from blowing up an image too large...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 09/29/2018 03:57 AM »
Yes, but it's only a small file size, so no idea if this is correct.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7738
  • Likes Given: 5656
« Reply #8 on: 09/29/2018 06:54 PM »

SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics

Vector: It's absolutely correct that it's a very small file size because vector descriptions are pretty compact. You're describing polgyons and ellipses by their control points so it is typically far smaller than a PNG save at the same size.

Scalable: You can render it at any size you want.

I tested this, downloaded it, edited it in GIMP and with a text editor.. and it scales and renders perfectly. This is ideal for those vendors that can work with this. Some may want eps instead but cross that bridge when you come to it. (there are svg to eps convertors out there. Maybe even GIMP)
« Last Edit: 09/30/2018 06:00 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #9 on: 09/29/2018 07:23 PM »

SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics

Vector: It's absolutely correct that it's a very small file size because vector descriptions are pretty compact. You're describing polgyons and ellipses by their control points so it is typicall far smaller than a PNG save at the same size.

Scalable: You can render it at any size you want.

I tested this, downloaded it, edited it in GIMP and with a text editor.. and it scales and renders perfectly. This is ideal for those vendors that can work with this. Some may want eps instead but cross that bridge when you come to it.l

Awesome!

So far, spreadshirt is looking the best one I've looked at for the store. Will check other options, but yeah - this looks good. Then I'll likely tweet out if anyone has such a store to help set it up the best possible way.

Online kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 515
« Reply #10 on: 09/29/2018 07:28 PM »
Chris.
Shopify is the one I would go for. We've integrated with it in the past, it has tons of add-ons/plugins and widely supported.

Right folks. I want to revisit this and drive it forward with the goal of going live in October in good time for Christmas.

I'll do some looking into things like Spreadshirt, but I'll take feedback and anyone with experience of such stores can chime in on advice, help with set up.

I now have a super quality PNG of the site logo as the opening round of products (obvious products being the logo - I want a NSF iPhone cover for example - and we build from there via our talented content producers/rev splits etc.).

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 09/29/2018 07:50 PM »
Chris.
Shopify is the one I would go for. We've integrated with it in the past, it has tons of add-ons/plugins and widely supported.

Looked at that and certainly seems to be for high volume, which we won't be.

Did notice: "Spreadshirt Goes Shopify". So starting with Spreadshirt still seems the best option and any need to expand means we can take it with us. Shopify is also a charge rate site, so you're starting a minus before you even begin. But getting a basic store going and then expanding the range (especially custom created items) in Shopify and adding Spreadshirt via their association looks like a future option!
« Last Edit: 09/29/2018 07:51 PM by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #12 on: 09/30/2018 11:51 AM »
Looked at both Spreadshirt and Shopify in detail. Both very interesting. Came across a potential location issue, but that gave me a lightbulb moment at the same time. Going to talk to the troops and see if there's a plan via my brainwave. ;D So likely a new thread if the team agrees.

Online kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 515
« Reply #13 on: 09/30/2018 01:10 PM »
Chris,
You're looking for a pay per transaction only and no flat monthly fee? I'll ask our customers what they use - I know Shopify is one they use a lot and we have customers from micro businesses all the way up so I'll check what they use.

kevin

Chris.

Looked at that and certainly seems to be for high volume, which we won't be.

Did notice: "Spreadshirt Goes Shopify". So starting with Spreadshirt still seems the best option and any need to expand means we can take it with us. Shopify is also a charge rate site, so you're starting a minus before you even begin. But getting a basic store going and then expanding the range (especially custom created items) in Shopify and adding Spreadshirt via their association looks like a future option!

Tags: