Author Topic: Jan 27th, 1967  (Read 379 times)

Online SkipMorrow

Jan 27th, 1967
« on: 03/02/2018 01:20 PM »
Today I learned that Jan 27th, 1967 was not just a famous day in history because of the Apollo 1 fire. It was also the day the Outer Space Treaty was signed by President Johnson. The signing ceremony was less than an hour before the Apollo 1 fire. I found an interesting video series documenting Johnson month-by-month. Here's the video for Jan, 1967. The beginning of the video talks about the early part of the month, including his State of the Union address, but the Outer Space Treaty and Apollo 1 fire coverage starts a little later:

I was wondering, how much opposition was there to the treaty? It seems that nothing can pass with true universal appeal, so I do wonder what the nay-sayers were saying about this. I have read that this treaty is considered by many people the truest example of the good things that can come out of such agreements, and I tend to agree.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3279
  • Likes Given: 771
Re: Jan 27th, 1967
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2018 08:47 PM »
it was the official end of the space race... everything after was just momentum.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Online speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 770
Re: Jan 27th, 1967
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2018 09:08 PM »
I was wondering, how much opposition was there to the treaty?

The outer space treaty was essentially entirely noncontroversial at the time - as there was no real state interest in the bits where their might have been controversies, and non-state interest was essentially zero, as in 1967, commercial space meant billboards.