Author Topic: LOST IN SPACE Trailer #1 NEW (2018) Netflix Sci-Fi Series HD  (Read 7510 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2796
  • Likes Given: 7345
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1174
  • Likes Given: 2253
It's all about the writing, in my view. Original series actor Bill Mumy has given it a resounding thumbs-up, which he didn't do for the 1997 remake. And just to show you the idiocy of 'social media' these days; some people seem far more hung up on the fact that one of the Robinson kids is black or at least mixed-race?! Sci-Fi fans should be far more worried about this series having good writing, rather than most any other factor.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 316
I am glad Netflix is distributing this show,  couldn't see SyFy miss up again.  Hopfully its awesome.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771
FWIW, as this is a hard reboot, I have no real objection to changes to the number and identity characters. For example there seems to be no Major Don West or Dr Zachary Smith obviously shown. Given that the character of Dr Smith (as well as being a repeat antagonist) was the main comic relief in the original show, it's a gutsy move if they exclude him from the story.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1174
  • Likes Given: 2253
Major West and Doctor Smith are there. Ignacio Serricchio plays Major West and Parker Posey is a female Doctor Smith. Posey is an excellent actress, known for being a bit dark and quirky in style. Professor Robinson is played by Toby Stephens. He once made a decent James Bond villain for Pierce Brosnan. Incidentally; he's Dame Maggie Smith's son.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline hopalong

• Milton Keynes
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 38
FWIW, as this is a hard reboot, I have no real objection to changes to the number and identity characters. For example there seems to be no Major Don West or Dr Zachary Smith obviously shown. Given that the character of Dr Smith (as well as being a repeat antagonist) was the main comic relief in the original show, it's a gutsy move if they exclude him from the story.

They are listed in the IMDB entry for Lost in Space (2018) as in all ten episodes, and Dr. Smith (no first name given) is female.

Yes, a hard reboot.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1818
  • Likes Given: 183
The Robot now doing an impression of a Cylon by the sounds of it.

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 2
New Full Trailer is out. 

Ed. So in the trailer I hear the theme (2nd & 3rd seasons) of the original series.  That was written by John Williams, as was around 80% of the iconic incidental background music of the series.  Wonder if they will be able to use some.  Back in the 1965-68 run, Williams was in the credits as "Johnny Williams".  Little did anyone know what would be in store for him.

« Last Edit: 03/07/2018 02:39 AM by RedSky »

Offline sanman

• Liked: 652
  • Likes Given: 8
It sounds like the story takes place on one particular planet, which they're marooned on and are trying to leave

Meanwhile it also seems like they find the Robot on this very planet, which means the Robot is of alien origin - I suppose that makes it more mysterious and enigmatic (looks a bit like one of the Geth from Mass Effect)

Gee, this gives me hope that Space 1999 will eventually get its own reboot.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771
It definitely looks like they're dumping one of the core aspects of the series - that the Robinsons were just one family sent out into the dark. It looks like they're part of a much larger colonial effort with a large numbers of doomed-to-die nameless colonists also involved.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 310
As a kid, I always thought the TV show was a poor ripoff of the comic book series, "Space Family Robinson: Lost in Space"
In the comic books, the Robinson family was on a space station that moved from planet to planet rather than being stuck in one place. Best of all, the comic didn't have a back-stabbing character named Doctor Smith!

As bad as I thought the show was, I never missed an episode. I guess I was a sci-fi junkie at an early age. ;D

More on the comic book series here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Family_Robinson

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 146
It sounds like the story takes place on one particular planet, which they're marooned on and are trying to leave

That's the same as the original LiS. All of Season 1 was on the same planet. Season 2 was all on one other planet, and then in Season 3 they actually went around space from planet to planet.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 1
I watched the first two episodes. It is very slow and rather dull. You know you're in trouble when the very first scene shows the family playing a game of cards in zero-g, which is about as exciting as watching grass grow. The first episode spends an enormous amount of time (over half the episode) with one character stuck in frozen ice and two other characters sitting nearby. Seriously, they don't move. And a major part of the relationship plot is that the parents are both tired with each other and don't want to be married anymore. It's not that they hate each other, they're just exhausted. You can practically hear them sigh every time they talk to each other. So they're bored, and the plot and pacing is boring, and I was getting tired watching it after 10 minutes.

The show is also hamstrung by the fact that it needs to explain everything because there are kids watching. There's a scene in the second episode where an adult could easily understand what happened, but they suddenly have to rewind and explain the sequence of events in case some 10-year-old watching is confused. Numerous times my brain was two minutes ahead of the plot, waiting for it to catch up and tell me what I had already figured out. Even when it tries to be clever, it has to pause to explain things.

I'm giving up. It's just too dull to continue.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 1053
So it is worse than the 1998 movie with Liam Neeson ?  :o
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 1
So it is worse than the 1998 movie with Liam Neeson ?  :o

No. It's not worse.* It's just boring. And because it's something like 12 episodes, that's six times as much to sit through, assuming you want to put up with all of it.

What I don't get is the directing/editing. Take that very first scene, for instance. It starts out with the whole family playing cards, quickly followed by the spaceship crashing. (Yeah, I'm spoiling the first two minutes of it for you, but you're not losing anything.) Why not just start with the crash? Why not just jump right into the excitement? I suspect that the director thought he needed to show all the characters as a family, then the peril. But it really was the wrong choice and a better one would have been to capture the audience with the very first shot.

And that just goes back to what Hank Stuever wrote in his Washington Post review, which is that the show is stuck between being a show for kids and a show for grown-ups, which means it is really just not able to go for excitement or for conflict (or violence), it's always held back, slowed-down, and watered-down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/lost-in-space-is-adrift-in-that-vast-area-between-shows-for-kids-and-shows-for-grown-ups/2018/04/11/cbb62a22-3ce2-11e8-974f-aacd97698cef_story.html?utm_term=.2f1d66c0d4e9

*(Hey, look! A footnote!) The 1998 movie was pretty bad in a lot of ways. Now it did have Heather Graham in it, but that was negated by Lacey Chabert as whiny Penny. (A few years later Chabert became very easy on the eyes, but back in 1998 she was portraying the worst kind of teenager, the kind who would throw a fit at maximum danger and get everybody killed.)

Oh, yeah, you're welcome:

Online ThereIWas3

• Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 265
The Original Series was so bad that I can not imagine watching this.  Oh yes, Wil, when entering a strange and unexplored place, walk backwards so that the bad guy/alien/man-eating-plant (all of whom speak perfect English) can grab you.  Oh yes, Mr+Mrs Robinson, let your provenly stupid kid wander around strange planets by himself.  Repeatedly.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 1053
Mrs Robinson

Are you trying to seduce me, Ben ?

(now that was one good movie !)
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 146
I've watched the first three episodes and I think it is pretty good. It is clearly marketed as a Family Friendly show, so don't expect Game Of Thrones or Altered Carbon violence and nudity here. A few "SOBs" is about the worst of the language. So this might be why some are calling it boring. I don't think it is, although the card game scene at the beginning is indeed a slow start and Episode 1 has flashbacks to the family on Earth before they left, which establishes the characters but slows things down some. But Episode 2 and 3 have much more action.

It is enormously better than the horrendous 1998 movie, which was a very good cast in a very bad movie.

The acting is mostly good, and the redesigned Jupiter 2, Robot, and Chariot are nice.

Bill Mumy (original Will Robinson) has a cameo appearance, and Episode 2 has a shout out to Mark Goddard (original Major West.) Another character's name being J. Harris is probably a shout-out to the original Dr. Smith.
« Last Edit: 04/15/2018 01:44 AM by Thorny »

Offline sanman

• Liked: 652
  • Likes Given: 8
Did anyone notice the cameo near the very end of episode 1?

Offline su27k

• Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 75
Yeah, this is a good show, I don't find it boring at all, probably because I wanted to know how they get to where they are and the flashbacks provided the context. Also what's wrong with starting the show with a card game? I think several TNG episodes started with card games. For me the card game represents normality, it's boring and boring is good in spaceflight. One minute it's everything normal then the next minute, bang, everything went to hell, that's the perfect introduction of the premise of the show. Of course via flashback we know the disaster started earlier, but the whole sequence would be too long and confusing for starting the show, thus the card game as stand-in for normality.

The visual is stunning, and it has good music scores as well, especially the title sequence. Characters are not annoying and plot mostly fits together. There're some technical inaccuracies that would jump out to readers of this forum, but for a family show its respect for physics and engineering is admirable.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2018 08:25 AM by su27k »

Tags: