Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : SAOCOM 1A : Oct. 7/8, 2018 : Vandenberg - DISCUSSION  (Read 51424 times)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5019
  • Likes Given: 1596
Any news about Mr.Steven and fairing?

Mr. Steven didn't sail due to heavy seas in the recovery area. So, there was no attempt to catch a fairing.
Or as speculated above SpaceX won't attempt nighttime fairing recovery until they have success in daylight.
Lar was correct when he assumed that time of launch is much more predictable than sea state. SpaceX knew this launch would be in darkness, and so would be the descending fairings. Therefore, had the fairing attempt been called off due to darkness than SpaceX would not have rushed to get Mr. Steven ready for a catch attempt. But rush they did.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 218

Offline hootowls

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
Any news about Mr.Steven and fairing?

There was no planned fairing recovery attempt for this mission.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4767
  • Likes Given: 890
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1049920490704388096
That's such a 50's photograph...  Bold days ahead!

-----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down

« Last Edit: 10/10/2018 04:20 PM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 733
  • Likes Given: 1200
That's such a 50's photograph

-----

I'm old enough to remember the early promise of the space shuttle but was born after Apollo. 

SpaceX's progress, launch, landing, resue and sending cars to Mars is the most exciting development in launch technology since the Saturn 5.

It feels like we are living in a 50's SciFi movie.
Jonesing for a copy of 'Tales of Suspense #39'

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 607
  • Likes Given: 1364
That's such a 50's photograph...  Bold days ahead!

-----

It has a Moonscape feel.

Offline r4mir3zx

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 7
Wow... has anyone noticed THAT GLORY AROUND MUSK'S HEAD?!?
Holy St. Musk!?! ;D

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 311
  • Likes Given: 74
Some hints of additional sightings of the deorbit burn are coming in.

Offline garcianc

• washington, dc
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 14

Just as I was getting used to the fact that there is no LZ-3, now I have to learn that there is no LZ-4 and that it is "Falcon LZ-1 Vandenberg".  :(

What's next? Is someone going to tell me that the "F" in BFR stands for Falcon?  :o

Congrats SpaceX for making what was impossible not long ago seem routine. After all, that first landing (at the "other" LZ-1) was less than 3 years ago.

EDIT: This was tongue-in-cheek to make light of SpaceX's naming conventions...  :P
« Last Edit: 10/11/2018 07:53 PM by garcianc »

Online Elthiryel

• Kraków, Poland
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 1267
SpaceX has been referring to the landing zone as LZ-4 everywhere: on their Twitter, on the official website, in the press kit and during the webcast. I guess it's just a typo in Elon's tweet.
GO for launch, GO for age of reflight

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 1119

Online Prettz

• Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 17
No updates about how this booster was taken down? I'm curious how long it took.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1840
  • Likes Given: 3993
No updates about how this booster was taken down? I'm curious how long it took.

The landing pad is on VAFB property and there's no line of sight to it from public areas.  Nor does the booster get transported off of base property to get returned to the refurbishment hangar like it does from CCAFS.  So, unless and until SpaceX decides to comment on the matter we won't publicly know anything.  Though there may be people with base access who might comment on it in L2.
« Last Edit: 10/16/2018 11:01 PM by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline CuddlyRocket

SpaceX has been referring to the landing zone as LZ-4 everywhere: on their Twitter, on the official website, in the press kit and during the webcast. I guess it's just a typo in Elon's tweet.
Hah! It'll be LZ-1 now that Elon's said it's LZ-1!

Reminded me of when HM Queen was opening a section - a tunnel or bridge, something - of a ring road in Birmingham and instead of saying 'I name this tunnel/bridge/something Queensway' she actually said 'I name this ring road Queensway' and Birmingham Council had to spend weeks renaming every other section on the ring road!

Online Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2099
  • Likes Given: 1504
Hah! It'll be LZ-1 now that Elon's said it's LZ-1!

Reminded me of when HM Queen was opening a section - a tunnel or bridge, something - of a ring road in Birmingham and instead of saying 'I name this tunnel/bridge/something Queensway' she actually said 'I name this ring road Queensway' and Birmingham Council had to spend weeks renaming every other section on the ring road!

President Johnson first announced in 1964 the existence of the RS-71, the Air Force two-seater Blackbird Johnson accidentally turned it around and called it the “SR-71.”.   

But still, this is not going to happened with LZ-4 at Vandy.

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 570

President Johnson first announced in 1964 the existence of the RS-71, the Air Force two-seater Blackbird Johnson accidentally turned it around and called it the “SR-71.”.   

But still, this is not going to happened with LZ-4 at Vandy.

Off topic but can't help :)

From wiki:
Air Force Chief of Staff General Curtis LeMay preferred the SR (Strategic Reconnaissance) designation and wanted the RS-71 to be named SR-71. Before the July speech, LeMay lobbied to modify Johnson's speech to read SR-71 instead of RS-71. The media transcript given to the press at the time still had the earlier RS-71 designation in places, creating the story that the president had misread the aircraft's designation.

Tags: