Author Topic: Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew  (Read 2987 times)

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 29
Mike Leinbach just published an incredible story of the Columbia disaster with details I never knew a thing about... As an emergency manager I have had a hard time putting this book down - as it steps through hour by hour the issues they had to deal with in recovering the crew and the Columbia debris.

It’s a must-read for anyone interested in the accident, and I challenge you to read it without reading it using his voice that we’re so familiar with after so many press conferences :)

https://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Columbia-Home-Untold-Shuttle/dp/1628728515

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline punder

• Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 239
Mine's in the mail.

From age 13 I grew up in Grapeland, Texas, which was in the debris field; and graduated from a state college in Nacogdoches, also in the debris field. I'd have bought the book anyway, but...

Online AS-503

• Orion Fab Team
  • Colorado USA
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 114
In July of 2005 the Space Shuttle was on the front page of several newspapers on my morning coffee stop.
At the time, I had no idea why and there were incredible on-orbit photos of the thermal protection system (again I didn’t know why most of the photos were of the TPS) on the front page of the newspaper machine.
I didn’t buy (or read) the paper that morning but looked it up later when I got home from work.
After discovering that this was return to flight from the two year stand down post Columbia I now understood why the front page news coverage and also why the on-orbit TPS photos.

Later that evening, I downloaded a copy of the STS-107 accident investigation from the NASA website (at that time it was no longer available in print) and read it cover to cover over the next few days.

That chance encounter of seeing Discovery on the front page of the newspaper in July of 2005 subsequently led to a complete obsession of space flight (history, physics, launch vehicles, ground support equipment, etc.). Which, of course, led me to nasaspaceflight.com (Thanks Chris!).

Such was the obsession, I went back to school for the first time since dropping out of high school and earned an undergrad EE degree at 47 years old. I am now in my second year as an engineer working on flight hardware. The upcoming launch of GOES-S will be the first mission I have played a very small role in.

So….thank you so much Columbia! I am forever in your debt!
« Last Edit: 01/05/2018 06:58 PM by AS-503 »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 343
  • Likes Given: 1047

Columbias "white ET" missions made me an instant fan.
Paul

Offline Ike17055

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 8
“Bringing Columbia Home” book
« Reply #4 on: 02/08/2018 03:56 AM »
Anyone read this new release yet? Saw a segment published somewhere recently, and it appeared interesting.

Offline JohnR

• Florida
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: “Bringing Columbia Home” book
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2018 10:04 AM »
It's focused on the search and recovery efforts in Texas as well as the reconstruction at KSC. Great stories about the hard work all of those various teams did. While sad, I found it informative and a good read.

Online mtakala24

Re: “Bringing Columbia Home” book
« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2018 02:53 PM »
I have this on preorder. I thought there was already a thread about this book on the forum, but strangely I can't find it right now.

Online mtakala24

Found the tooic and merged.

Today, I also got a pre-shipment email from Amazon.de, telling that this should ship next week.

Online mtakala24

This should be in my mailbox today. Weekend read, hopefully.

I still remember what I did, ate and felt on that day in Feb 2003...

Online mtakala24

Very good read so far. I hope I had a map of Texas to go with the book..

Offline cebri

• Spain
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 87
I've just finished the first half. Great book, lots of detail and i must admit that it almost made me cry sometimes. Incredible sacrifice of all those involved in the search operations.

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 988
Recently read this and it's a must for any Shuttle fan.  Highly respectful of both the lost Orbiter and her final crew and all of the people involved in bringing them home.

Offline thammond

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
Sounds interesting.  I'm reading "Comm Check... the Final Flight of Shuttle Columbia" right now which is very good too.

I'm also interested in any books on Columbia's last flight that are more technically focused, if anyone knows of any good ones.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 361
  • Likes Given: 412
This opened my eyes with how incredibly difficult and how amazing was the work. A testament what everyday people can accomplish. Plus the dedication and care that was throughout the work.

Online wholmeswa

• Wayne Holmes
  • Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 54
I was touched by the stories of the people in Texas who helped in the search. The mysterious dog who “helped” in the recovery of some remains had me in tears.

Tags: