Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 45723 times)

Offline techdude06

• Ohio
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #220 on: 03/28/2019 11:22 pm »
10 minutes ago:

Error 525Ray ID: 4beda21fca5f2501 • 2019-03-29 00:12:37 UTC

SSL handshake failed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #221 on: 03/28/2019 11:23 pm »
Thanks yeah, went away for a bit and came back and saw we had a five min downtime with a SSL handshake issue, but had already come back by the time I sat down! :)

Sorry about that!

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 1034
  • Likes Given: 611
« Reply #222 on: 04/02/2019 10:17 pm »
Just want to express my gratitude to all who are involved in running this forum - Chris Bergin and all other NSF team members and authors, the mods who keep the threads tidy, and all of you who contribute to this enormous collection of knowledge. I am greatly impressed by how this forum is managed and by the content quality. Thanks!
I normally dread reading "new posts" on this thread as it's usually about a problem, so that was nice! ;D

Chris:  I'd like to echo that same sentiment and use it as a jumping off point to make a Constructive Inquiry here.    There might be a better place to ask but I wasn't sure how well it would be seen so if so I apologize.

I'm about to carve up my BFH Pictorial Thread to branch off a Starship Mk1 Pictorial.  Is there any way I can do that without having to reload the Attached pictures.  I'm not adverse to reloading them but prefer to be wise (if possible) in consumption of system resources.

I'm sure in the big scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket, but I thought it worth asking because ....
« Last Edit: 04/02/2019 10:20 pm by AC in NC »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #223 on: 04/03/2019 12:40 am »
Just want to express my gratitude to all who are involved in running this forum - Chris Bergin and all other NSF team members and authors, the mods who keep the threads tidy, and all of you who contribute to this enormous collection of knowledge. I am greatly impressed by how this forum is managed and by the content quality. Thanks!
I normally dread reading "new posts" on this thread as it's usually about a problem, so that was nice! ;D

Chris:  I'd like to echo that same sentiment and use it as a jumping off point to make a Constructive Inquiry here.    There might be a better place to ask but I wasn't sure how well it would be seen so if so I apologize.

I'm about to carve up my BFH Pictorial Thread to branch off a Starship Mk1 Pictorial.  Is there any way I can do that without having to reload the Attached pictures.  I'm not adverse to reloading them but prefer to be wise (if possible) in consumption of system resources.

I'm sure in the big scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket, but I thought it worth asking because ....

Yep! I'll PM you later (or in the morning as I'm already up to 18 hours on the day ;D) Carry on as normal for now.

Offline JDTractorGuy

• USAF
  • Liked: 61
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #224 on: 04/03/2019 11:31 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been reported before, but since its still messed up after over a year I'll post something.  Also forgive me if this is the wrong place to put this...

When a new visitor visits the site and it has the accept cookies text at the bottom, the accept button has a lowercased I in it, reading "Okay, i agree", instead of "Okay, I agree".  I know its a small thing but its been wrong for a long time now, and looks a little silly on such a serious site.  Just wanted to let somebody know.

I attached a screenshot of the issue.

Online OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 1638
  • Likes Given: 1187
« Reply #225 on: 04/12/2019 12:07 am »
Suggestion: On super fast moving threads with multiple posts per minute (as in Beresheet or FH launch today) its nearly inevitible that when you press the "post" button your post won't initially go through, you'll be warned that there have been other postings (which in a normal world with less rapid information flow you would look at and make adjustments or delete your post) so you have press "post" again, possibly a few times before you make it through thus delaying the message.  Can this warning be suspended in high flow rate situations?  Or maybe we could have a checkbox that says "by checking this box I acknowledge that I may look like a dufus because I'm posting duplicate information but I want to proceed anyway without stopping at the intervening post gateway".

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #226 on: 04/12/2019 12:11 am »
Ah, you can turn that off. No idea why most forums have that, but yes, you can turn it off.

Profile.
Look and Layout.
Here:

Offline vipeout

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #227 on: 04/17/2019 09:31 am »
Hey, I'm just suggesting using some way of bot prevention on account creation. A new bot registered today just spammed the same add on all subforums (40+ posts). I've reported 5 or 6, but come on, that's boring to do on all 40+, especially due to the "20 seconds between reports" rule.

User: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=profile;u=58271
Example topic: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47972.0

I had a similar issue on my forum and adding a custom captcha solved the issue. Custom is the key part, those used often are long cracked and you have to keep updating and blocking VPN in the process. I used one that allows several types (questions to be asked, names to sort left and right by category and similar) and then typed in my own questions and words that are not from the default setting.

I'm suggesting this because this account has been clearly created recently with heavy intent on spamming ads. This is not a case when a legitimate user was hacked and starts spamming. Bots are easier to mitigate and something should be there to protected from them, I believe.

I see you have captcha and a Elon Musk SpaceX question when I post the reply here, I assume this failed or did not trigger for the bot.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2019 09:38 am by vipeout »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #228 on: 04/17/2019 11:21 am »
Yes, that was the worst one I've seen. All now resolved. Sadly, they aren't bots, they are real people, thus get around the protection. It happens every day, but most of you never get to see it as a mod removes what is usually one post before most people see it. Today was a case of no mods being around that hour or so and the spammer starting multiple threads.

They aren't bots as 99 percent of spammers are Indian IP addresses (as much as they claim to be from the States etc as part of their spamming technique) and they literally have people creating these spam posts. India is the capital of the world for spamming and scamming, sadly - and it is almost always the IP address of the person doing it.

So the solution will be to get more mods in for early UTC (when India wakes up, notably) and probably find a way to ban Indian IPs from signing up and make the valid Indian users (I think one in the last 200 to sign up with an Indian IP address was someone wanting to post about ISRO and wasn't a spammer) apply/validate before being allowed to post here.

--

Actually, I can stop registration from being approved during the early UTC hours, and that'll solve it at least. Will do that from now on.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2019 11:49 am by Chris Bergin »

Tags: