Author Topic: Tourist photos of Baikonour - some great images!  (Read 3453 times)

Offline emarkay

• Regular
  • Southern Indiana, USA
    • Local personal site including link to 1960 Electra crash data.
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.                                            W. von Braun, 1957

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Global Moderator
  • Milan, Italy; Spain; Japan
  • Liked: 681
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Tourist photos of Baikonour - some great images!
« Reply #1 on: 09/19/2006 10:54 PM »
Argh, look at that poor old Buran and even its launch pad... I'd seen it before, but at this resolution it's even more awful... it's really sad!

I know there are many money problems, but it's just unfair that some pieces of hardware and facilities like these are rusting and rottening this way...

Nevertheless, I wish I could go there and see it myself! The images are superb!
-DaviD-

Offline sammie

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: 09/19/2006 11:50 PM »
Sorry that Im not that sentimental, but I see tons of cash for scrap dealers overthere that could be invested in the future instead. Why keep two pads of the Buran to rust when it's never ever gonna fly again. Nah, there are tons of materials that could be recycled or can be sold for hard currency. Maybe it's time to strip down Biakonur to it's well running core and build it up again.
"The dreams ain't broken downhere, they're just walking with a limp"

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita
  • Liked: 446
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #3 on: 09/20/2006 12:08 AM »
sammie - 19/9/2006  6:37 PM

Sorry that Im not that sentimental, but I see tons of cash for scrap dealers overthere that could be invested in the future instead. Why keep two pads of the Buran to rust when it's never ever gonna fly again. Nah, there are tons of materials that could be recycled or can be sold for hard currency. Maybe it's time to strip down Biakonur to it's well running core and build it up again.

I was at Baykonur with author of this photos (I have all the photos that he took during the days we stayed there and I was the guy that took this particular photo!). Yes, the Buran model there is rusting and has lots of graffiti painted on the side. Some parts of the thermal tiles are missing and the rest is in a very poor state. If you wish to see the interior of the modeil go here: http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/content/photogallery/gallery_089/index.shtml

Yes, there are tons and tons of materials that could be recycled but to do that it was needed to take a very drastic decision. I don't think that they even have the money to do that kind of work and I don't see any company of scrap dealers working at Baykonur (remember that is a military area).

We may not be sentimental about it, but when you listen someone that has worked there for years and that has devoted a great part of his life to that structures and specialy when you look at his eyes, you'll know what those pads represent to the people of the cosmodrome.

Offline emarkay

• Regular
  • Southern Indiana, USA
    • Local personal site including link to 1960 Electra crash data.
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: 09/21/2006 01:39 AM »
Satori - 19/9/2006  6:51 PM

I was at Baykonur with author of this photos (I have all the photos that he took during the days we stayed there and I was the guy that took this particular photo!). Yes, the Buran model there is rusting and has lots of graffiti painted on the side. Some parts of the thermal tiles are missing and the rest is in a very poor state. If you wish to see the interior of the modeil go here: http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/content/photogallery/gallery_089/index.shtml

Yes, there are tons and tons of materials that could be recycled but to do that it was needed to take a very drastic decision. I don't think that they even have the money to do that kind of work and I don't see any company of scrap dealers working at Baykonur (remember that is a military area).

We may not be sentimental about it, but when you listen someone that has worked there for years and that has devoted a great part of his life to that structures and specialy when you look at his eyes, you'll know what those pads represent to the people of the cosmodrome.

WOW - It' truly is a small world after all!!!!!

It is sad to see politics invade science, and unfortunately even sadder to have seen the potential and then to watch it decay.  The Russians have always done equal with less, and sometimes even better with lesser, than the Americans, and it truly is sad that the efforts of the many talented people will be forgotten with the sands of time.   It is even sadder is that many will never be known to the world, due to politics (secrecy, and paranoia during the USSR days).

Again, I wish one of our Capatalist multi-millionaires could help Kashakstan and Russia return the #2 Buran and Energia to flight status and find a safe and secure environmnt for worldwide access, along with as much of the research and documentatino that remains.

MIR!

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.                                            W. von Braun, 1957

Tags: