Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion  (Read 137311 times)

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 601
  • Likes Given: 238
Re: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion
« Reply #420 on: 12/22/2017 07:53 PM »
A Kerbal, safe? Seems wrong somehow.
One thing they should do is to put a mannequin with a space suit in the drivers seat.

Jebediah Kerman

A Jeb plushie in the glove box, would be pretty safe from radiation for a while

A Kerbal, safe? Seems wrong somehow.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 07:54 PM by nacnud »

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #421 on: 12/22/2017 08:17 PM »
The idea of Tesla Roadster in Space is delightfully whimsical, but I can't help thinking of the wasted opportunity. There are hundreds of student experimental payloads desperate for a launch opportunity; why not offer them a ride?

Not to mention the Lunar X Prize entrants.  Pretty much all of them are dependent on cheap rideshares on other launchers, since they are all operating on shoestring budgets. This could have been a golden opportunity to get them all to their destination in one fell swoop!
psas.pdx.edu - to orbit with stone knives and bearskins

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 601
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #422 on: 12/22/2017 08:26 PM »
I think that would be kinda cruel, Musk is not confident in this launch, so much so even a mass simulator seems a waste. (Where as exploding a Tesla is kinda cool). Puting one of a kind student experiments on it is enticing hope where it is undeserved.

Much better to use the spare capacity on launch 3 or 4 where there is a much greater expectation of success.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 1759
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #423 on: 12/22/2017 08:32 PM »
I can hear it now - if the alternate had happened - if SpaceX puts the hopes and dreams of high school and college kids, who toiled for years on their cubesats and the flight fails to make orbit...

“It was so irrational to put real payloads on a test flight”, “SpaceX should be ashamed of themselves to do that when Elon himself said low probability of success”, etc etc
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline TaurusLittrow

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #424 on: 12/22/2017 08:49 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I believe the Tesla Roadster payload is a missed opportunity. My first reaction to this payload was "too cool for school," but...

It would have been so much more meaningful if instead, the FH carried a BEAM-like inflatable module from Bigelow or another vendor. Put a few instruments aboard like radiation gauges or GoPro cameras. Just the image of a potentially habitable inflated module with Mars in the background would have wormed the idea of human flights to the Mars system into the public mind. Such a payload wouldn't even have to be stabilized if a low-gain antenna with low bit rate were used.

It's Elon's rocket and company, of course, and sniping from the peanut gallery doesn't matter. Still...

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #425 on: 12/22/2017 09:26 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I believe the Tesla Roadster payload is a missed opportunity. My first reaction to this payload was "too cool for school," but...

It would have been so much more meaningful if instead, the FH carried a BEAM-like inflatable module from Bigelow or another vendor. Put a few instruments aboard like radiation gauges or GoPro cameras. Just the image of a potentially habitable inflated module with Mars in the background would have wormed the idea of human flights to the Mars system into the public mind. Such a payload wouldn't even have to be stabilized if a low-gain antenna with low bit rate were used.

It's Elon's rocket and company, of course, and sniping from the peanut gallery doesn't matter. Still...

I think you are underestimating the risk of failure.

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 303
  • Likes Given: 354
« Reply #426 on: 12/22/2017 09:49 PM »
Is that the most complete picture of a fairing interior we've gotten?

Definitely seems to put the fairing cost into perspective.  Heck of a lot more there than just a composite shell.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4986
  • Likes Given: 904
« Reply #427 on: 12/22/2017 09:59 PM »
Engineers like to build for posterity, I guess as a substitute for immortality...

This Tesla will likely be in orbit long after humans are extinct.

Check.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline TaurusLittrow

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #428 on: 12/22/2017 10:11 PM »

I think you are underestimating the risk of failure.

Rest assured, that's unlikely. Twenty years in the pharma industry as a pathologist breeds pessimism, patience, and humility.

Online theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #429 on: 12/22/2017 10:31 PM »
Full-resolution shots (around 2x instagram) are now up on the SpaceX flickr.

Edit: More future-proof link.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 10:43 PM by theinternetftw »

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #430 on: 12/22/2017 10:33 PM »
Elon tweeted:

"Falcon Heavy launching from same @NASA pad as the Saturn V Apollo 11 moon rocket. It was 50% higher thrust with five F-1 engines at 7.5M lb-F. I love that rocket so much."

Maybe, as a homage to the Saturn V, he could put this LEGO set in the trunk... - Space aliens will be building a LEGO Saturn V millions of years into the future and grasp the true genius of mankind!

Offline midnightrider3000

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #431 on: 12/22/2017 11:16 PM »
Wow, That's a beautiful car!

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 382
« Reply #432 on: 12/22/2017 11:47 PM »
Elon tweeted:

"Falcon Heavy launching from same @NASA pad as the Saturn V Apollo 11 moon rocket. It was 50% higher thrust with five F-1 engines at 7.5M lb-F. I love that rocket so much."

Maybe, as a homage to the Saturn V, he could put this LEGO set in the trunk... - Space aliens will be building a LEGO Saturn V millions of years into the future and grasp the true genius of mankind!

Also a Commodore Vic-20 which was Elon Musk's first computer.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 11:47 PM by Patchouli »

Offline JAFO

• Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #433 on: 12/23/2017 12:39 AM »
Only bad thing is that with no antenna, stabilization, etc, they won't be able to beam images back to earth of it once it gets too far away. Or am I missing something?

Remember: pictures or it didn't happen.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2017 12:42 AM by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 609
  • Likes Given: 1157
« Reply #434 on: 12/23/2017 12:43 AM »

Sending the Roadster does a couple of things.

#1- It certainly has caught the attention of the news cycle. 

#2- It also has generated free publicity for Tesla. 

Both of those are good things.   
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline envy887

• Liked: 2716
  • Likes Given: 1446
« Reply #435 on: 12/23/2017 01:48 AM »
Only bad thing is that with no antenna, stabilization, etc, they won't be able to beam images back to earth of it once it gets too far away. Or am I missing something?

It doesn't look to be separating from the second stage, or transmitting on it's own. It will phone home as long as the second stage lives.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1631
  • Likes Given: 1958
« Reply #436 on: 12/23/2017 02:00 AM »

It doesn't look to be separating from the second stage, or transmitting on it's own. It will phone home as long as the second stage lives.

Does anyone recall how far out DSCOVR transmitted from?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 6086
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #437 on: 12/23/2017 02:00 AM »

I don't know....A 75kwh battery pack, jigger the suspension so the wheels can face odd angles and use them for reaction wheels....

Offline enzo

• USA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 715
« Reply #438 on: 12/23/2017 02:34 AM »
I am curious if the car+stage would be detectable via radar for orbit confirmation. Would anyone with knowledge of radio astronomy be able to calculate whether Arecibo is capable? Obviously I only expect a few pixels, if we knew where to look based on the last known trajectory.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #439 on: 12/23/2017 02:36 AM »
I am curious if the car+stage would be detectable via radar for orbit confirmation. Would anyone with knowledge of radio astronomy be able to calculate whether Arecibo is capable? Obviously I only expect a few pixels, if we knew where to look based on the last known trajectory.

They'll have active telemetry of the stage through the injection burn and then some ... The stage's own inertial measurements and Doppler tracking will tell them the final orbit just fine before LOS.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Tags: