Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion  (Read 134319 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Falcon Heavy Demo Mission Payload Discussion
« Reply #400 on: 12/22/2017 04:05 PM »
Per what I said about not attaching.....well here it is in link form, before SpaceX lawyers call them at least:

https://twitter.com/vectorspacesys/status/944248007213563904

And it looks like Vector took that off Reddit (not that they cite origin).

This is getting messy. Elon needs to release some official pics. Heck, the adaptor stuff might be proprietary/ITAR as it is.

Please note: Link will die naturally if SpaceX parachute lawyers into Vector. ;)

« Reply #401 on: 12/22/2017 04:09 PM »
Per what I said about not attaching.....well here it is in link form, before SpaceX lawyers call them at least:

https://twitter.com/vectorspacesys/status/944248007213563904

And it looks like Vector took that off Reddit (not that they cite origin).

This is getting messy. Elon needs to release some official pics. Heck, the adaptor stuff might be proprietary/ITAR as it is.

Please note: Link will die naturally if SpaceX parachute lawyers into Vector. ;)

I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has to be honest. The post which got real traction on the SpaceX subreddit was deleted not too long ago so the lawyers are probably getting down to business.

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #402 on: 12/22/2017 04:15 PM »
Heck, the adaptor stuff might be proprietary/ITAR as it is.

There are plenty of pictures of SpaceX payload adapters out there. Why would this one specifically be ITAR?

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 1544
« Reply #403 on: 12/22/2017 05:08 PM »
Musk had to have handed over the roadster a little while back.  As has been pointed out, the batteries and their cooling system are not rated for vacuum, and would almost assuredly develop energetic leaks.  Possibly before you could attempt a TMI-type maneuver.

The batteries and cooling system have to have been removed, as well as the tires having had their inflation cores pulled out, to avoid them over-inflating and eventually exploding in the vacuum.  If any of the roadster systems are going to be powered up at the beginning, to provide super-kewl images of the headlights flashing and the cockpit panels all lit and alive, I imagine they will have to connect the roadster up to the Falcon upper stage's electrical system.

In any event, the conversion of the car to a vacuum-safe payload had to have taken several weeks, and likely wasn't even done at the Cape.  It could have conceivably been done at Hawthorne, the car being crated up and shipped to the Cape for encapsulation.  In fact, that makes a lot of sense -- it would have been useful to have the car there while building the payload module adapter that secures it in the fairing.

Since it appears it will be set at about a 30-degree angle to the base of the payload adapter, I'd say that argues for them planning on leaving the roadster permanently attached to the second stage.

I'll bet that the batteries, transmission/differential, motor and controller have all been removed. Going by the picture the COG has to be nearer the front of the car.  Primary reason to reduce mass. I wonder what the stripped Roadster weighs?
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Online NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #404 on: 12/22/2017 05:26 PM »
I'll bet that the batteries, transmission/differential, motor and controller have all been removed. Going by the picture the COG has to be nearer the front of the car.  Primary reason to reduce mass. I wonder what the stripped Roadster weighs?
I bet it doesn't have a transmission, either...since it didn't have one to start with.

It'll be the same with the Tesla BAMF (Semi).

Online Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #405 on: 12/22/2017 06:02 PM »
Primary reason to reduce mass. I wonder what the stripped Roadster weighs?

Absolutely not. Falcon Heavy easily has enough impulse to throw a full-mass vehicle probably well past Jupiter if not further. To the extent parts were removed it will have been to prevent energetic events (airbags & inflators, batteries and maybe displays), off-gassing that might interfere with the injection burn, or for dynamics/vibrational concerns during launch.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Craig_VG

• Liked: 635
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #406 on: 12/22/2017 06:14 PM »
And finally, officially from Elon Musk's Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/elonmusk/

Captioned:

Test flights of new rockets usually contain mass simulators in the form of concrete or steel blocks. That seemed extremely boring.
Of course, anything boring is terrible, especially companies, so we decided to send something unusual, something that made us feel.
The payload will be an original Tesla Roadster, playing Space Oddity, on a billion year elliptic Mars orbit.

Edited to add higher res photos
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 09:07 PM by Craig_VG »

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #407 on: 12/22/2017 06:16 PM »
Also would have likely removed springs, shocks, and bushings & locking the suspension in place.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 3129
  • Likes Given: 1841
« Reply #408 on: 12/22/2017 06:33 PM »
Is that the most complete picture of a fairing interior we've gotten?

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #409 on: 12/22/2017 06:35 PM »
Is that the most complete picture of a fairing interior we've gotten?
I was just thinking the same thing. Any recovery bits visible?

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 535
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #410 on: 12/22/2017 06:36 PM »
Well... I'll save my opinion about this one for myself, but ... can someone answer this question for final: Are there going to be smallsats on the mission?

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1194
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #411 on: 12/22/2017 06:38 PM »
Well... I'll save my opinion about this one for myself, but ... can someone answer this question for final: Are there going to be smallsats on the mission?
AFAIK from what I can find is Just the Tesla will be onboard.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 859
  • Likes Given: 1693
« Reply #412 on: 12/22/2017 06:54 PM »

Maybe in the trunk?

Offline Greg Hullender

• Seattle
    • Rocket Stack Rank
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #413 on: 12/22/2017 06:57 PM »
Gee, I hope the parking brake is good enough to keep it from rolling off during launch. :-)

Offline jimbowman

• Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #414 on: 12/22/2017 06:59 PM »

Maybe in the trunk?

Smaller unpressurized trunk than Dragon for sure

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 6245
  • Likes Given: 1878
« Reply #415 on: 12/22/2017 07:00 PM »
3 more Elon posted

Edit to add Elonís comment:

elonmusk A Red Car for the Red Planet

Test flights of new rockets usually contain mass simulators in the form of concrete or steel blocks. That seemed extremely boring.
Of course, anything boring is terrible, especially companies, so we decided to send something unusual, something that made us feel.
The payload will be an original Tesla Roadster, playing Space Oddity, on a billion year elliptic Mars orbit.
« Last Edit: 12/22/2017 07:02 PM by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline ZachF

• NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 592
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #416 on: 12/22/2017 07:06 PM »
One thing they should do is to put a mannequin with a space suit in the drivers seat.

Jebediah Kerman

Offline mgreb

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #417 on: 12/22/2017 07:38 PM »
I think that it would be fun to put the cowboy in the drivers seat

Offline Jim_LAX

• California
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #418 on: 12/22/2017 07:45 PM »
Perhaps a cowboy who resembles Slim Pickins, riding backward?
"I don't go along with going to the Moon first in order to build a launch pad to go to Mars.  We should go to Mars from Earth orbit."

Online IanThePineapple

« Reply #419 on: 12/22/2017 07:48 PM »
One thing they should do is to put a mannequin with a space suit in the drivers seat.

Jebediah Kerman

A Jeb plushie in the glove box, would be pretty safe from radiation for a while

Tags: