Author Topic: Blue Origin General Discussion Thread 2  (Read 130554 times)

Offline rory

Re: Blue Origin General Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #540 on: 02/04/2019 04:35 pm »

The New York Post is reporting this morning that Blue Origin was originally meant to have a Super Bowl ad, at a cost of $15-20 million. It was pulled after the affair was made public, apparently because Bezos' mistress helped shoot the footage. (That spot was then given to the Washington Post for its last-minute ad.)

Seems likelier than not that this video would have been the ad to air, given the timing.

Online Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 370
« Reply #541 on: 02/08/2019 09:25 am »

I wonder if they expect to make that money back on NS flights or was it just for awareness? (I'll ignore the mistress motivation)

Offline Grandpa to Two

« Reply #542 on: 02/21/2019 01:04 am »
Bezos emphasizes altitude advantage of New Shepard over SpaceShipTwo
by Jeff Foust — February 20, 2019

NEW YORK — As Blue Origin prepares to start flying people on its New Shepard suborbital vehicle, the company’s founder says the altitude the vehicle can reach will put it at an advantage over Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo.

https://spacenews.com/bezos-emphasizes-altitude-advantage-of-new-shepard-over-spaceshiptwo/

Jeff Bezos confirms they expect to fly people this year. He also points out New Shepard goes above the Karman line and that SS2 hasn’t yet and says:

“We’ve always had as our mission that we wanted to fly above the Karman Line, because we didn’t want there to be any asterisks next to your name about whether you’re an astronaut or not,”

Ouch!

I’m sure somewhere this point has been hashed out on our site, but with more tourists about to be heading across the Karman line to get their ‘space wings’ should they really get to call themselves either an astronaut or cosmonauts? I feel only persons who actually work in space should get that title. Our astronauts and cosmonauts have earned their titles by increasing our knowledge of space or building and maintaining structures in orbit. Right from the start astronauts were involved in each spaceflight not just tourists although a different case could be made for the earliest cosmonauts. Space tourists are just that, passengers only with no other function except to play in micro gravity and look out the windows. We could give them wings, I’m actually not even sure about that do I recieved pilot wings for flying as a passenger in a 777? Let’s leave the titles to the professionals. My two bits worth.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them" Galileo Galilei

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 4673
« Reply #543 on: 02/21/2019 02:40 am »
I’m sure somewhere this point has been hashed out on our site, but with more tourists about to be heading across the Karman line to get their ‘space wings’ should they really get to call themselves either an astronaut or cosmonauts? I feel only persons who actually work in space should get that title. Our astronauts and cosmonauts have earned their titles by increasing our knowledge of space or building and maintaining structures in orbit. Right from the start astronauts were involved in each spaceflight not just tourists although a different case could be made for the earliest cosmonauts. Space tourists are just that, passengers only with no other function except to play in micro gravity and look out the windows. We could give them wings, I’m actually not even sure about that do I recieved pilot wings for flying as a passenger in a 777? Let’s leave the titles to the professionals. My two bits worth.
The word basically means "one that travels among the stars/above the atmosphere." You and I are mere aeronauts though the word was coined for people traveling in airships or balloons it should apply to all that travel "above." Sadly no one will give us wings.

Have enough money and you can be a Knight, have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, get multiple honorary doctorates, or pay to be an Astronaut.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 408
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #544 on: 02/25/2019 03:36 pm »
Another article on Jeff Bezos talking about Blue Origin:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8503517/amazon-jeff-bezos-space-blue-origin/

Offline JH

• Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #545 on: 02/26/2019 03:32 am »
Sadly no one will give us wings.

I distinctly remember being given wings by a very friendly pilot the first time that I flew alone as a child.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8549
  • Likes Given: 6970
« Reply #546 on: 02/26/2019 02:46 pm »
Sadly no one will give us wings.

I distinctly remember being given wings by a very friendly pilot the first time that I flew alone as a child.
Aero wings, not astro wings.  I have several sets, I sweet talk the flight attendents out of a set when they are done distributing to kids. Looks very sharp pinned to my long coat. Also accidentally saves my money from time to time...  But that's all very very off topic, including the post I was replying to. Don't be like me and reply to off topic posts.
« Last Edit: 02/26/2019 02:59 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Kryten

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #547 on: 03/14/2019 03:27 pm »
 Blue have filed for a trademark on 'New Lindbergh' in a number of areas including commercial space launches.
https://trademark.trademarkia.com/new-lindbergh-88227372.html
« Last Edit: 03/14/2019 03:27 pm by Kryten »

Offline refsmmat

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #548 on: 03/14/2019 03:43 pm »
Blue have filed for a trademark on 'New Lindbergh' in a number of areas including commercial space launches.

Lindbergh's name is damaged goods. I'd never use it again, although he had that one amazing flight.

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 294
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #549 on: 03/14/2019 04:24 pm »
Just speculating, but that sounds like Blue Origin has plans for P2P travel similar to SpaceX and Virgin Galactic.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

Online Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 294
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #550 on: 03/14/2019 04:58 pm »
They might want to look at his pre-war political tendencies and think again.

Offline refsmmat

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #551 on: 03/14/2019 06:57 pm »
They might want to look at his pre-war political tendencies and think again.
Those, and his secret families. The time to hold up a historic public figure to scrutiny is when their name is spotlighted for some reason. Is this that time?

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 791
  • Likes Given: 847
« Reply #552 on: 03/15/2019 03:39 am »
I have heard it said that: "The only good nazi is a dead nazi.' Lindbergh is quite dead as far as I know, so?

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #553 on: 03/15/2019 02:19 pm »
Seriously people???  >:( ::)  You all have a problem with a man's politics, but have NO problem embracing technology that was researched and perfected by active Nazi scientists???  Give me a break!
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5595
  • Likes Given: 949
« Reply #554 on: 03/15/2019 03:31 pm »
Seriously people???  >:( ::)  You all have a problem with a man's politics, but have NO problem embracing technology that was researched and perfected by active Nazi scientists???  Give me a break!

Exactly.  We have NO problem with the technology, since science is science.   We have a BIG problem with Nazis.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online intelati

« Reply #555 on: 03/15/2019 04:08 pm »

Exactly.  We have NO problem with the technology, since science is science.   We have a BIG problem with Nazis.

How about we leave the society impacts out of the tech talk though... I can read about Lindberg on my time. I come to NASASpaceflight to read about rockets and, well, uh, spaceflight...
"Stainless-steely-eyed missile men"-bob the martian

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 5595
  • Likes Given: 949
« Reply #556 on: 03/15/2019 04:12 pm »

How about we leave the society impacts out of the tech talk though... I can read about Lindberg on my time. I come to NASASpaceflight to read about rockets and, well, uh, spaceflight...
Sadly there is nothing technical about this entire subtopic.

NG is a mystery rocket, and has its own thread anyway.  NL is just a trademark.  What technical aspects do you want to discuss?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online intelati

« Reply #557 on: 03/15/2019 04:15 pm »

Sadly there is nothing technical about this entire subtopic.

NG is a mystery rocket, and has its own thread anyway.  NL is just a trademark.  What technical aspects do you want to discuss?

Exactly.
"Stainless-steely-eyed missile men"-bob the martian

Tags: