Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6  (Read 515919 times)

Offline Grandpa to Two

I like big bearings!
« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 08:11 am by Grandpa to Two »
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them" Galileo Galilei

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 1066
  • Likes Given: 1233
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6
« Reply #1001 on: 01/22/2018 02:46 pm »
I figured out that I wasn't getting full resolution because they're video frames, and the frame rate was set at max. Still only 1k...

Actually, your 1920 x 1080 (a.k.a. 1080p) pixel dimensions are nearly the same as the 2K projection systems still used in most movie theaters.  2K is 2048 pixels wide1080p is 1920 pixels wide.  See image below for relative size.

But as I've said before, pixel dimensions are only 1 measure of quality.  There are many others.  For example, 2K cinema projection typically uses Wavelet compression , while 1080p still uses DCT.  Also, most 1080p consumer cameras use 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, while 2K uses full 4:4:4 chroma. In addition, 2K projection typically uses 10 or 12 bits per pixel, while consumer grade cameras nearly all use only 8-bit color depth.

And obviously, the quality of the camera's specific lens and sensor can make a huge difference, especially in poor lighting.  But with good lighting, camera differences are less apparent.

I really believe 4K video is over-rated.  A professionally produced 2K or 1080p video up-sampled on a 4K TV will usually look better than a consumer quality 4K video, especially if it's been compressed to fit on a consumer SDHC flash card. To get better quality, you need to record at a much higher bit rate.  For example, professional 1080p cameras often record at 200 Mbits/sec.  For consumer cameras, you can also use the HDMI output to record onto SSD drives using an external recording device.  Many of these also double as a 7" monitor and XLR microphone interface, like this.

« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 02:50 pm by Dave G »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 10100
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1002 on: 01/22/2018 03:22 pm »
The 1080p of the photo is the resolution the software always uses when it saves the frame. The camera uses less at higher frame rates because of lack of processing power, I'm guessing from the difference in quality when I lowered the rate. Changing the BMP to JPG doesn't seem to hurt quality if I use the best setting.
 The bearing shot surprised me. I didn't think I'd get that quality at that distance with a $200 camera. The same camera at 3840 x 2160 is over $2,000, and the lens looks about the same, so I'm not sure the quality would be that much better.
 It's suppose to have tracking capability, so if I can figure that out, it should be good for a rocket launch or something.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 03:37 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1003 on: 01/22/2018 03:43 pm »
 I'm going to get lazy with this thing. These arrived this morning and I didn't even have to walk over to find them.
 The camera is still at 24 feet. I'm waiting for a calm day to get it all the way up.

« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 03:51 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline IanThePineapple

Powerpacks arriving, another big step

Offline midnightrider3000

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1005 on: 01/22/2018 06:20 pm »
I'm going to get lazy with this thing. These arrived this morning and I didn't even have to walk over to find them.

You'll still have to walk over to tell them where they missed a spot painting the dish, or other friendly guidance.

Maybe we can chip in for a loudspeaker to add under the camera. :-)

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1006 on: 01/22/2018 07:05 pm »

You'll still have to walk over to tell them where they missed a spot painting the dish, or other friendly guidance.

It actually has an audio output I could use from the computer. It's made as a security camera. I hadn't thought of sitting here, broadcasting advice to the crews.
 I finally got the wi-fi working. The power is 12VDC, so with a car battery, solar panel and external antenna, I could put these things just about anywhere.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 07:07 pm by Nomadd »

Offline midnightrider3000

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1007 on: 01/22/2018 09:00 pm »

It actually has an audio output I could use from the computer. It's made as a security camera. I hadn't thought of sitting here, broadcasting advice to the crews.
 I finally got the wi-fi working. The power is 12VDC, so with a car battery, solar panel and external antenna, I could put these things just about anywhere.

Well i see the solar panel and batteries in the pic. Now where could we find that antenna for ya?

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 122
« Reply #1008 on: 01/22/2018 09:37 pm »
Well i see the solar panel and batteries in the pic. Now where could we find that antenna for ya?

I pretty sure that first picture was an antenna ;D

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1009 on: 01/22/2018 09:45 pm »
 The numbers are all sort of adding up. Each dark gray interconnect cabinet goes to an interconnect rack out in the field, which have 5 interconnect boxes apiece, each box handling 8 panel racks for a total of 160 racks of 12 panels apiece. At 96 panels per box, it could mean strings of 24 or 32 panels.
 It would make wiring easy, with no wire handling 10 amps until they get to wherever the strings are combined, which I'd think would be inverter inputs.
 They're probably using older model battery racks from before they upgraded them to 210 kwh max. Or, there's empty spaces for future upgrades.
 It's pretty impressive to think it would take more than 200 large car batteries to equal one of those battery cabinets.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 10:10 pm by Nomadd »

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA -- previously in Ann Arbor, MI
  • Liked: 833
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #1010 on: 01/23/2018 04:09 am »
Nomadd, I seem to forget, do you have running water and sewage service at your house there? I remember discussion previously that said they're not allowed new sewer lines.
Internal combustion engine in space. It's just a Bad Idea.TM - Robotbeat

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1791
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #1011 on: 01/23/2018 04:15 am »
Are there practical reasons why LC39A should even be in consideration for BFR missions, or is it mostly for sentimental reasons that people try and argue for LC39A as a BFR launchpad?

Because the 39A pad design should already be able to handle the thrust of the BFR.

Why waste money on configuring a fourth site for Falcon family launches when you already have facilities that can do that? Just make Boca Chica your dedicated BFR launch site and be done with it.

Indeed. Does F9/FH really need yet another launch site, especially one suitable only for a subset of launches (GEO, BLEO)?

If the answer to the question "Will a Boca Chica range be privately owned and operated" is, as I imagine, "Yes", then the recent gov't shutdown -- which put all static fire and launch ops on hold for the duration-- surely answers your question.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1012 on: 01/23/2018 05:12 am »
Nomadd, I seem to forget, do you have running water and sewage service at your house there? I remember discussion previously that said they're not allowed new sewer lines.
Water is a pair of 1600 gallon tanks the city fills for $15 a month. Nobody drinks it, but two cups of Clorox and a filter makes it usable for other stuff. The houses have septic with drainfields, but codes would prohibit new installs now because they're too low and close to the water.
 They might eventually get a water line if they start launching, but SpaceX plans to truck water in for now. They'll have enclosed septic tanks that get pumped out. It's too remote and flat to ever get sewer lines out here.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1013 on: 01/23/2018 11:29 am »
And Boca Chica will still have to deconflict with the Cape at some times.
Will they be providing their own range or will they be apart of Eastern Range or hybrid if there was such a thing?
Down range comms and tracking with a rocket launching out of Boca Chica will have to make use of assets that belong to the Eastern Range.  Hence... conflicts that will need to be deconflicted.

Given that government shutdowns seem to the new norm with either party in power, what does this mean for Boca Chica? 

For example, if Boca Chica were operational today, would the range issues above block them from launching?

Offline Dave G

« Reply #1014 on: 01/23/2018 12:09 pm »
They might eventually get a water line if they start launching, but SpaceX plans to truck water in for now...

For potable water, I believe you're right.  For deluge water, I'm guessing they'll dig a well near the water tower.

The EIS basically lays out 3 options for water:
1) Drill a well, and use that for everything.
2) Truck water in, and use that for everything.
3) Well water for deluge system. Potable water trucked in.

Part of the EIS that lead me to guess 3) above include:

Quote from: EIS page 2-19
The water tower would contain at least 250,000 gal and would be approximately 250 ft high, which is required to provide sufficient pressure to the pad systems. During an actual launch, the water tower would discharge up to 100,000 gal of water for a Falcon 9 launch operation and up to 200,000 gal for a Falcon Heavy launch operation.

Quote from: EIS page 4-53
Currently, the TDS concentrations in the Chicot and Evangeline aquifers in south central Cameron County have the highest TDS values, with concentrations greater than 10,000 mg/L (Choudhury and Mace 2007). Therefore, it is likely that the groundwater in the Gulf Coast Aquifer at the location of the vertical launch area has concentrations of TDS exceeding the Texas Department of Health recommended drinking water standards.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1015 on: 01/23/2018 05:14 pm »
 The pole is finally up permanently, or until the next hurricane wanders through. If circumstances warrant, I'll put a 50' Rohn 25 up some day to clear that tree.
 Also, one new sliding glass door that required the whole wall to be rebuilt.
 Unfortunately, the power is off out here all day, and I'm too hungry to rig a battery right now, so testing will have be post Denny's. (Cooking skills pretty much summed up by "Microwave on high for 3 minutes")
« Last Edit: 01/23/2018 07:20 pm by Nomadd »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1016 on: 01/23/2018 06:00 pm »
 The end results of me spending two hours being absolutely certain a gust of wind was going to bend that pole over before I got it tightened down.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA -- previously in Ann Arbor, MI
  • Liked: 833
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #1017 on: 01/23/2018 06:10 pm »
Is this with the framerate turned down still? The images look fuzzier than some of your earlier very good images. Maybe the low light because of the clouds?
Internal combustion engine in space. It's just a Bad Idea.TM - Robotbeat

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 2650
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #1018 on: 01/23/2018 07:02 pm »
The end results of me spending two hours being absolutely certain a gust of wind was going to bend that pole over before I got it tightened down.
Thanks Nomadd.

Is that first image the crane shack?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #1019 on: 01/23/2018 09:35 pm »

Thanks Nomadd.

Is that first image the crane shack?
Yep. Partly blocked by a pine tree that grows faster than I can prune it.

Tags: