Author Topic: OSIRIS-REx/OSIRIS-APEX Mission Updates  (Read 146580 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3538
  • Likes Given: 1200
Re: OSIRIS-REx/OSIRIS-APEX Mission Updates
« Reply #320 on: 09/24/2023 09:30 pm »
LM rep dodging the question about possible re-entry sequence issues...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline punder

• Liked: 1841
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #321 on: 09/24/2023 09:30 pm »
Yes there was possibly a problem with the drogue. I went cold when I couldn’t see it, can’t imagine how they felt.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 733
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #322 on: 09/24/2023 10:22 pm »
I certainly couldn’t see the drogue at all, but the video quality from the WB-57 was pretty poor (and YouTube is sometimes not a help). Also, I thought I saw quite large wobbles once the capsule was under the main parachute despite what the commentator said.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 8066
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #323 on: 09/24/2023 10:40 pm »
I certainly couldn’t see the drogue at all, but the video quality from the WB-57 was pretty poor (and YouTube is sometimes not a help). Also, I thought I saw quite large wobbles once the capsule was under the main parachute despite what the commentator said.

From the press conference:

-The drogue chute is on top of the main chute, so by definition if the main deploys, the drogue comes out on top of it. That does not mean that the drogue deployed and then pulled out the main, however.

-The video onboard the WB-57 (which is almost certainly back in Houston by now), is apparently much better quality than what got beamed to the ground. And apparently the viewing angle was good. So they should be able to get a good answer on that.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82829
  • Likes Given: 37253
« Reply #324 on: 09/24/2023 10:41 pm »
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-first-asteroid-sample-has-landed-now-secure-in-clean-room

Sep 24, 2023
RELEASE 23-109
NASA’s First Asteroid Sample Has Landed, Now Secure in Clean Room

After years of anticipation and hard work by NASA’s OSIRIS-REx (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification and Security – Regolith Explorer) team, a capsule of rocks and dust collected from asteroid Bennu finally is on Earth. It landed at 8:52 a.m. MDT (10:52 a.m. EDT) on Sunday, in a targeted area of the Department of Defense’s Utah Test and Training Range near Salt Lake City.

Within an hour and a half, the capsule was transported by helicopter to a temporary clean room set up in a hangar on the training range, where it now is connected to a continuous flow of nitrogen.

Getting the sample under a “nitrogen purge,” as scientists call it, was one of the OSIRIS-REx team’s most critical tasks today. Nitrogen is a gas that doesn’t interact with most other chemicals, and a continuous flow of it into the sample container inside the capsule will keep out earthly contaminants to leave the sample pure for scientific analyses.

The returned samples collected from Bennu will help scientists worldwide make discoveries to better understand planet formation and the origin of organics and water that led to life on Earth, as well as benefit all of humanity by learning more about potentially hazardous asteroids.

“Congratulations to the OSIRIS-REx team on a picture-perfect mission – the first American asteroid sample return in history – which will deepen our understanding of the origin of our solar system and its formation. Not to mention, Bennu is a potentially hazardous asteroid, and what we learn from the sample will help us better understand the types of asteroids that could come our way,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “With OSIRIS-REx, Psyche launch in a couple of weeks, DART’s one year anniversary, and Lucy’s first asteroid approach in November, Asteroid Autumn is in full swing. These missions prove once again that NASA does big things. Things that inspire us and unite us. Things that show nothing is beyond our reach when we work together.”

The Bennu sample – an estimated 8.8 ounces, or 250 grams – will be transported in its unopened canister by aircraft to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston on Monday, Sept. 25. Curation scientists there will disassemble the canister, extract and weigh the sample, create an inventory of the rocks and dust, and, over time, distribute pieces of Bennu to scientists worldwide.

Today’s delivery of an asteroid sample – a first for the U.S. – went according to plan thanks to the massive effort of hundreds of people who remotely directed the spacecraft’s journey since it launched on Sept. 8, 2016. The team then guided it to arrival at Bennu on Dec. 3, 2018, through the search for a safe sample-collection site between 2019 and 2020, sample collection on Oct. 20, 2020, and during the return trip home starting on May 10, 2021.

“Today marks an extraordinary milestone not just for the OSIRIS-REx team but for science as a whole,” said Dante Lauretta, principal investigator for OSIRIS-REx at the University of Arizona, Tucson. “Successfully delivering samples from Bennu to Earth is a triumph of collaborative ingenuity and a testament to what we can accomplish when we unite with a common purpose. But let’s not forget – while this may feel like the end of an incredible chapter, it’s truly just the beginning of another. We now have the unprecedented opportunity to analyze these samples and delve deeper into the secrets of our solar system."

After traveling billions of miles to Bennu and back, the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft released its sample capsule toward Earth’s atmosphere at 6:42 a.m. EDT (4:42 a.m. MDT). The spacecraft was 63,000 miles (102,000 kilometers) from Earth’s surface at the time – about one-third the distance from Earth to the Moon.

Traveling at 27,650 mph (44,500 kph), the capsule pierced the atmosphere at 10:42 a.m. EDT (8:42 a.m. MDT), off the coast of California at an altitude of about 83 miles (133 kilometers). Within 10 minutes, it landed on the military range. Along the way, two parachutes successfully deployed to stabilize and slow the capsule down to a gentle 11 mph (18 kph) at touchdown.

“The whole team had butterflies today, but that’s the focused anticipation of a critical event by a well-prepared team,” said Rich Burns, project manager for OSIRIS-REx at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. “For us, this was the World Series, ninth inning, bases-loaded moment, and this team knocked it out of the park.”

Radar, infrared, and optical instruments in the air and on the ground tracked the capsule to its landing coordinates inside a 36-mile by 8.5-mile (58-kilometer by 14-kilometer) area on the range. Within several minutes, the recovery team was dispatched to the capsule’s location to inspect and retrieve it. The team found the capsule in good shape at 9:07 a.m. MDT (11:07 a.m. EDT) and then determined it was safe to approach. Within 70 minutes, they wrapped it up for safe transport to a temporary clean room on the range, where it remains under continuous supervision and a nitrogen purge.

NASA Goddard provides overall mission management, systems engineering, and the safety and mission assurance for OSIRIS-REx. The University of Arizona, Tucson leads the science team and the mission's science observation planning and data processing. Lockheed Martin Space in Littleton, Colorado, built the spacecraft and provides flight operations. Goddard and KinetX Aerospace are responsible for navigating the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft. Curation for OSIRIS-REx, including processing the sample when it arrives on Earth, will take place at NASA Johnson.

International partnerships on this mission include the OSIRIS-REx Laser Altimeter instrument from CSA (the Canadian Space Agency) and asteroid sample science collaboration with JAXA’s (the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) Hayabusa2 mission. OSIRIS-REx is the third mission in NASA’s New Frontiers Program, managed by NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, for the agency’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington.

To learn more about the asteroid sample recovery mission visit:

https://www.nasa.gov/osiris-rex

-end-

Karen Fox / Alana Johnson
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1257 / 202-358-1501
[email protected] / [email protected]

Rani Gran / Rob Garner
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
301-332-6975 / 301-286-5687
[email protected] / [email protected]

Last Updated: Sep 24, 2023
Editor: Claire O’Shea
Tags:  Asteroids, Bennu, OSIRIS-REx (Origins Spectral Interpretation Resource Identification Security Regolith Explorer), Solar System

Caption:

The sample return capsule from NASA’s OSIRIS-REx mission is seen shortly after touching down in the desert, Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, at the Department of Defense's Utah Test and Training Range. The sample was collected from the asteroid Bennu in October 2020 by NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft.
Credits: NASA/Keegan Barber

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #325 on: 09/24/2023 10:42 pm »

I was a bit annoyed by this press conference because it is clear that they all brought their soundbites but did not offer up any hard information until the media started to ask. So they all had statements about how they felt, etc., which will certainly go in all the media coverage. But I remember press conferences for other programs where somebody would sit up and read off key bits of information for the public and press. And I wish they had taken that approach. Yeah, we all know that they're overjoyed and thrilled and space is inspirational and there's a future generation and blah blah blah. Tell us what happened on the mission.

Offline punder

• Liked: 1841
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #326 on: 09/24/2023 11:46 pm »

I was a bit annoyed by this press conference because it is clear that they all brought their soundbites but did not offer up any hard information until the media started to ask. So they all had statements about how they felt, etc., which will certainly go in all the media coverage. But I remember press conferences for other programs where somebody would sit up and read off key bits of information for the public and press. And I wish they had taken that approach. Yeah, we all know that they're overjoyed and thrilled and space is inspirational and there's a future generation and blah blah blah. Tell us what happened on the mission.
Not to pile on, what an accomplishment, but another annoyance during the EDL coverage was putting the actual historic recovery operations in a microscopic corner window while treating us to mindless celebrity interviews etc., then putting the recovery operations full screen… when nothing was happening and the recovery crew was off camera.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #327 on: 09/25/2023 01:54 am »
One of the questions was about what happens if there is a government shutdown (as seems likely). The answer is that the OSIRIS-APEX mission will not be affected because it is a critical government operation. However, the sample analysis phase will be affected for however long the shutdown happens.

My guess is that they need to do a lot of assessment and curating of the samples before they can be sent to any of the analysis labs, and this all happens in Houston. They cannot just separate out a few grams and send them off to Arizona or some of the partners in a few days before everything gets shut down. So there will be a lot of impatient scientists at the whim of a few politicians.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #328 on: 09/25/2023 05:09 am »
https://flic.kr/p/2p51meH

NASA HQ PHOTO
OSIRIS-REx Sample Return
(NHQ202309240016)

Curation teams process the sample return capsule from NASA’s OSIRIS-REx mission in a cleanroom, Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, at the Department of Defense's Utah Test and Training Range. The sample was collected from the asteroid Bennu in October 2020 by NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft. Photo Credit: (NASA/Keegan Barber)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #329 on: 09/25/2023 05:21 am »
https://twitter.com/haya2e_jaxa/status/1706115058676412666

Congratulations on the return of the #OSIRISREx sample return capsule to Earth! We are looking forward to the new discoveries that will be revealed from the sample from asteroid Bennu. Our Hayabusa2 Project Members share their own messages in this thread below 🧵

None of the messages say ‘welcome to the club’ …

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #330 on: 09/25/2023 06:34 am »
More NASA processing images

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #331 on: 09/25/2023 03:43 pm »
Time to change the thread title to OSIRIS-APEX or create a new thread?

I wish someone, anyone, had asked a question about the origin of OSIRIS-APEX.  Was it planned from the beginning of the mission?  If not, when did it originate and how?  An internet search shows the ASU webpage on -APEX https://osirisrex.arizona.edu/osiris-apex appeared yesterday. I don't remember any mention of the new mission until the last few days but as usual, I'm probably wrong...
« Last Edit: 09/25/2023 03:52 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #332 on: 09/25/2023 03:50 pm »

Sadly this lack of offering actual facts without having to draw them out has become the NASA standard in my humble opinion.  With very few exceptions "briefers" have become PA shills who require dentists to extract facts like teeth but all too often, "reporters" don't want to be dentists...  Anyone remember Bill Harwood having to call out NASA/SPACE X for the unknown/unacknowledged Dragon launch delay reason?
« Last Edit: 09/25/2023 03:55 pm by Targeteer »

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #333 on: 09/25/2023 04:38 pm »
Time to change the thread title to OSIRIS-APEX or create a new thread?

I wish someone, anyone, had asked a question about the origin of OSIRIS-APEX.  Was it planned from the beginning of the mission?  If not, when did it originate and how?  An internet search shows the ASU webpage on -APEX https://osirisrex.arizona.edu/osiris-apex appeared yesterday. I don't remember any mention of the new mission until the last few days but as usual, I'm probably wrong...

The mission extension to Apophis was approved in April 2022.

https://news.arizona.edu/story/nasa-gives-green-light-osiris-rex-spacecraft-visit-another-asteroid
https://spacenews.com/nasa-to-repurpose-osiris-rex-for-second-asteroid-encounter/

NASA memo on the mission extension: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/NASA-academies-resources/PMSR22-NASA-Response.pdf

Further operations after sample collection at Bennu would be entirely dependent on how much fuel would be left in the probe after the return to Earth. They didn't know if it would take 2 or 3 tries to get a sample into the sample container, using up most of the fuel in the process. As such, a decision on if it would do anything else had to wait until after the sample was acquired.

As per the article, they had studied many different options depending on possible fuel reserves remaining, but Apophis is a great asteroid to go to.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2023 04:43 pm by whitelancer64 »
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 1808
« Reply #334 on: 09/25/2023 04:41 pm »

The extended mission (EM) to Apophis was approved by NASA as the spacecraft was on its way back.  Here is an April 2022 news release from UofA about it:
https://news.arizona.edu/story/nasa-gives-green-light-osiris-rex-spacecraft-visit-another-asteroid

Scrolling back in this thread to that time period, I see that it was indeed reported here at the time, starting at this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43833.msg2363413#msg2363413

Here is a short conference paper from April 2023 about the EM:
https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/acm2023/pdf/2353.pdf

Here are some visualizations that Goddard SFC published on July 26th:
https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5133/

My personal opinion is that we should just stick with this thread, and perhaps retitle it to "OSIRIS-REx / OSIRIS-APEX".

EDIT: ha, whitelancer beat me to it :) But our posts are mostly complementary.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2023 04:48 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #335 on: 09/25/2023 04:53 pm »
So I was wrong, again.  At least my error got the thread populated with references :)

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 393
« Reply #336 on: 09/25/2023 05:08 pm »
An internet search shows the ASU webpage on -APEX https://osirisrex.arizona.edu/osiris-apex appeared yesterday.

Arizona (arizona.edu) isn't ASU (asu.edu)

[/pedantic]

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 1808
« Reply #337 on: 09/25/2023 05:42 pm »
OK, since it looks like we are just piling on here, I would like to be clear that I deeply appreciate Targeteer's massive efforts in this forum.  Nothing I've posted was intended to draw attention to any errors, just to add information :)
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #338 on: 09/25/2023 06:40 pm »
https://twitter.com/nasa_johnson/status/1706377660044075438

Welcome to Houston, OSIRIS-REx!

The asteroid sample arrived today in Texas where it will be curated and preserved by our team here at Johnson. The information collected could help scientists around the world investigate planetary formation, the origins of life, and how asteroids might impact Earth.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #339 on: 09/25/2023 08:24 pm »
OK, since it looks like we are just piling on here, I would like to be clear that I deeply appreciate Targeteer's massive efforts in this forum.  Nothing I've posted was intended to draw attention to any errors, just to add information :)

:)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography