Author Topic: Scale Models of ISS  (Read 39392 times)

Offline Apollo_fan

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Scale Models of ISS
« on: 09/15/2006 07:05 pm »
My apologies if this should go somewhere else, I'm still getting my bearings on the overall board. :)

Question:  Which models company has the best scale model of the ISS?  

I'm looking for a relatively large model, with the best possible accuracy to the eventual, fully assembled ISS configuration.

Thanks very much,  cheers,

Jack

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
RE: Scale Models of ISS
« Reply #1 on: 09/15/2006 07:15 pm »
There are two in 1:144 scale...

The Intermountain Railway ISS is generally agreed to be slightly more detailed than the others, but it costs plenty more too.   On that page you'll also find some upgrade/enhancement kits which will help detail it even more.

If you're good at building kits, you may prefer to just build the Revell kit.   You can probably pick it up for about $30 at most model shops.   That's the option I went for and with a bit of time and effort, I have a very nice model for half the price.

Neither will give you an easy way to build the ISS as it is today though.

-Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: 09/16/2006 02:45 am »
kraisee - 15/9/2006  2:02 PM

Neither will give you an easy way to build the ISS as it is today though.

-Ross.

The IMR model does make it easier than the Revell model, though. Its design allows almost all intermediate configurations to be built, though the instructions aren't laid out that way and don't mention many of the extra parts that make it possible. It requires that you be familiar with the assembly sequence so that you know which parts to glue and which not to (for example, don't glue the cap onto the Z1 truss or you won't be able to insert the P6 to build the 4A through 13A.1 configs). The IMR kit also includes temporary endcaps for the truss (which also are not documented in the instructions) so that you can build the configs with the truss partially assembled without having to leave the ends open. The S0 truss must be attached permanently to Destiny but you can get around that by using the Hab module to stand in for Destiny on the pre-8A configs. The FGB solar arrays can be built in both the deployed and stowed positions. Just about the only configs the IMR kit can't do are 12A and 13A, since the P5 and S5 spacers are molded as part of the P4 and S4 segments. Unfortunate but pretty much unavoidable. I also had to poke extra holes in the P6 to attach the EEATCS radiators. Other than that and the price, I've got no complaints.

The truss on the Revell kit, OTOH, makes it impossible to build any config between 8A and 15A without cutting the truss apart (and weakening its structure).

The big irony is that the IMR kit even includes parts for an ODS that is designed to fit the Revell 1:144 space shuttle. You can tell because the Revell kit has a "ribbed" payload bay liner and the IMR ODS has a slot in the bottom which fits neatly onto one of the ribs.
--
JRF
JRF

Offline mastronaut

• Veteran
  • Spacebound Entity
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: 09/16/2006 03:35 am »

Jorge - 15/9/2006 10:32 PM
kraisee - 15/9/2006 2:02 PM Neither will give you an easy way to build the ISS as it is today though. -Ross.
The IMR model does make it easier than the Revell model, though. Its design allows almost all intermediate configurations to be built, though the instructions aren't laid out that way and don't mention many of the extra parts that make it possible. It requires that you be familiar with the assembly sequence so that you know which parts to glue and which not to (for example, don't glue the cap onto the Z1 truss or you won't be able to insert the P6 to build the 4A through 13A.1 configs). The IMR kit also includes temporary endcaps for the truss (which also are not documented in the instructions) so that you can build the configs with the truss partially assembled without having to leave the ends open. The S0 truss must be attached permanently to Destiny but you can get around that by using the Hab module to stand in for Destiny on the pre-8A configs. The FGB solar arrays can be built in both the deployed and stowed positions. Just about the only configs the IMR kit can't do are 12A and 13A, since the P5 and S5 spacers are molded as part of the P4 and S4 segments. Unfortunate but pretty much unavoidable. I also had to poke extra holes in the P6 to attach the EEATCS radiators. Other than that and the price, I've got no complaints. The truss on the Revell kit, OTOH, makes it impossible to build any config between 8A and 15A without cutting the truss apart (and weakening its structure). The big irony is that the IMR kit even includes parts for an ODS that is designed to fit the Revell 1:144 space shuttle. You can tell because the Revell kit has a "ribbed" payload bay liner and the IMR ODS has a slot in the bottom which fits neatly onto one of the ribs. -- JRF

Now that sir was a mouthfull! ;)

Offline Apollo_fan

« Reply #4 on: 09/16/2006 09:06 pm »
Thanks very much, for the input and analysis, but it looks like I'll stick with one of the plastic kits rather than IMR's extremely sexy models. I just prefer building and painting my own models and I've got enough rare earth magnets kicking around from other models projects that creating interchangeable components for various configurations won't be all that much of an issue.

Besides, I need something to lean back and gaze at when it's too cloudy to go outside with the binos and the laptop to spot the real McCoy.  ;)

Thanks again, cheers.

Jack

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
Re: Scale Models of ISS
« Reply #5 on: 09/16/2006 09:13 pm »
I'm planning to use the left over Spacelab and satilite kits from the Monogram orbiters I have to modify into the ISS. Any ideas? The russian modules I'm stuck on how to build those and the truss.

Offline psklenar

• Knowledge Sponge
  • Southern New England
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #6 on: 09/16/2006 11:08 pm »
MarkD - 16/9/2006  5:00 PM

... The russian modules I'm stuck on how to build those and the truss.

what about picking up one of the old Revell Armeggedon stations?  That's just a reissue of the oldMIR station with some extra bits.  Aren't the Russian ISS bits (FGB, etc) similar enough to a couple of the Mir bits for them to be the starting basis?

pat----

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #7 on: 09/16/2006 11:57 pm »
Pat, the Revell ISS model only costs a little more than the Armagedon Mir.   The difference shouldn't even be $10.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Linden

« Reply #8 on: 09/17/2006 12:49 am »
kraisee - 16/9/2006  7:44 PM

Pat, the Revell ISS model only costs a little more than the Armagedon Mir.   The difference shouldn't even be $10.

Ross.

I humbly disagree with you on this Ross. From what I've seen the Revell ISS goes for $50-$60 these days. You could probably get an Armagedon kit for $10-$15. Ironically, the Armagedon kit usually sells for less than the smaller Mir kit.

I do agree with the assessment that the IMR kit is the best. I have both but have yet to tackle the Revell kit. The IMR kit comes pre-painted so you can essentially plug the pieces together and build your model to match the current configuration as it changes. I plan to take it apart again, paint it properly and superdetail it some day but for now it's fun to follow along with the real thing. The solar arrays on the IMR kit are nice too. They're very sturdy but lightweight so they don't sag like the plastic Revell ones.

Linden

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
« Reply #9 on: 09/17/2006 01:14 am »
Well the project I have is the 1/72 scale kits. 4 Spacelabs and sattilite modules.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #10 on: 09/18/2006 04:58 am »
I built the Revell kit in Phase 2 configuration a few years back....it was not designed to be built that way and I ran into a bunch of issues.  The arrays sagged too much and the thing ended up falling apart after several months.  Now I have another Revell kit as well as the IMR kit, and I plan on building several ISS stations in various stages of the assembly sequence (one Unity-Zarya, one Phase 2 w/Discovery on STS-114, and the completed ISS).  

Here's my ISS model on the Aircraft Resource Center website:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/501-600/Fea502_ISS_Davenport/fea502.htm
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #11 on: 09/18/2006 05:03 pm »
Bubbinski - 17/9/2006  11:45 PM

I built the Revell kit in Phase 2 configuration a few years back....it was not designed to be built that way and I ran into a bunch of issues.  The arrays sagged too much and the thing ended up falling apart after several months.  Now I have another Revell kit as well as the IMR kit, and I plan on building several ISS stations in various stages of the assembly sequence (one Unity-Zarya, one Phase 2 w/Discovery on STS-114, and the completed ISS).  

Here's my ISS model on the Aircraft Resource Center website:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/501-600/Fea502_ISS_Davenport/fea502.htm

Cool! Good job on the patterning for the MMOD shields on Destiny/Unity/MPLM... those looked pretty hard.

Almost hate to point it out, but you installed PMA-2 upside-down... the "flat" side should be facing nadir, not zenith...
--
JRF
JRF

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #12 on: 09/19/2006 03:06 am »
Thanks Jorge!  Evergreen styrene and Tamiya liquid cement were my friends on the MMOD shield job.  And you're right, that PMA is upside down, I just compared it to ISS pictures on NASA's site.  Live and learn.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline shostetler

« Reply #13 on: 09/19/2006 04:17 am »
This is the best link to find the Intermountain ISS... http://www.imrcmodels.com/index.html

Look to the right. I have seen this model on Ebay one time and it did go fairly high. Very good model!

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #14 on: 11/11/2012 06:54 am »
So does any company make a sub-$100 model that represents either of the two below configurations?
« Last Edit: 11/11/2012 06:57 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #15 on: 11/11/2012 02:50 pm »
So does any company make a sub-$100 model that represents either of the two below configurations?

It's available out of the 3D printer section.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29378.msg927111#msg927111 

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Paper Kosmonaut

• Grunn NL
    • PK's blog
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: 11/12/2012 07:12 am »
A very good - and I think cheapest - ISS model which has a great amount of detail, a lot of possibilities in displaying the different configurations and even can have a docked shuttle, HTV, Soyuzi, Progress and ATV, is Alfonso Moreno's (AXM) paper model of the station. He still is working on the last bits (Rassvet and Nauka) but the rest is there already and awesome.
You can find it here: http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ISSpage.html
Elsewhere on his site Alfonso has all shuttles in all liveries and all flight numbers (different ET colours, different details)
(As always with paper models, if something goes wrong while cutting or gluing, just print out the page again.)
PK - dei t dut mout t waiten!

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #17 on: 12/03/2012 09:30 pm »
Apparently Dragon plans to sell an updated model of the ISS.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline axmor61

• Port Saint Lucie, Fl
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #18 on: 09/08/2013 07:19 pm »
Now the AXM ISS 1:100 paper model is complete and available for purchase at:

http://store.payloadz.com/details/1363235-other-files-arts-and-crafts-iss-1100-axm-combo-kit.html

The free ISS combo kits 2 and 3 are available at:

http:// www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ISSpage.html
« Last Edit: 09/08/2013 07:23 pm by axmor61 »

Offline Foxtrot42

• Truxton, NY
« Reply #19 on: 04/10/2014 01:31 pm »
Has anyone tried to scale the axm paper model of ISS up to 1:72?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography