Author Topic: What Happened To Proposed SpaceX Orbital Tourism Flights?  (Read 7409 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3140
  • Likes Given: 8763
A few years back Elon spoke of orbital tourism flights for private individuals. The plan was the use refurbished Dragons from NASA missions for the trips to orbit and back. Apart from the proposed loop around the Moon, nothing that I can find has been mentioned unless I've missed it which is entirely possible...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1884
  • Likes Given: 1933
Re: What Happened To Proposed SpaceX Orbital Tourism Flights?
« Reply #1 on: 07/27/2017 12:52 pm »
A few years back Elon spoke of orbital tourism flights for private individuals. The plan was the use refurbished Dragons from NASA missions for the trips to orbit and back. Apart from the proposed loop around the Moon, nothing that I can find has been mentioned unless I've missed it which is entirely possible...

I am pretty sure that when Elon Musk announced the lunar flyby he also mentioned that there is interest in LEO flights. But nothing concrete. I don't see it as a major revenue flow for SpaceX. It does help to keep up the momentum and interest which is important too.

Offline Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #2 on: 07/27/2017 02:26 pm »
Would probably help to actually get the D2 operational for the primary customer.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1473
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #3 on: 07/27/2017 02:47 pm »
SpaceX has been offering private crewed services since 2013 and the link on their webpage for these services is easy to find:

http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/05/19/spacex-crew-program
« Last Edit: 07/27/2017 02:59 pm by yg1968 »

Offline whitelancer64

It would help if there were a destination for tourists to go to. Fortunately, that should be changing in 2020.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #5 on: 07/27/2017 03:13 pm »
SpaceX has been offering private crewed services since 2013 and the link on their webpage for these services is easy to find:

I appreciate the link yg however that page doesn't really address an individual purchasing a trip similar to an airline ticket on a scenic flight. The webpage states "commercial customers seeking to transport astronauts to alternate LEO destinations". What about a couple of orbits or so and then return? The page is fours years old and perhaps could use an update to reflect the company state of play today in 2017...

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 4609
  • Likes Given: 2768
« Reply #6 on: 07/27/2017 03:58 pm »

I appreciate the link yg however that page doesn't really address an individual purchasing a trip similar to an airline ticket on a scenic flight. The webpage states "commercial customers seeking to transport astronauts to alternate LEO destinations". What about a couple of orbits or so and then return? The page is fours years old and perhaps could use an update to reflect the company state of play today in 2017...

What did you expect, an online booking form? If you are interested, reach out to SpaceX directly. Just like the people doing the lunar flyby did.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #7 on: 07/27/2017 04:09 pm »

What did you expect, an online booking form? If you are interested, reach out to SpaceX directly. Just like the people doing the lunar flyby did.
I don't have the funds at this time...
« Last Edit: 07/27/2017 04:35 pm by Lar »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1473
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #8 on: 07/27/2017 04:53 pm »

I got to that link through their commercial capabilities & services page (which has been recently updated) which is a page for prospective customers:

Quote from: SpaceX
SpaceX offers competitive pricing for its Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launch services. Modest discounts are available, for contractually committed, multi-launch purchases. SpaceX can also offer crew transportation services to commercial customers seeking to transport astronauts to alternate LEO destinations.

http://www.spacex.com/about/capabilities

I think that tells us that they are still commited to private spaceflight.
« Last Edit: 07/27/2017 05:03 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #9 on: 07/27/2017 06:04 pm »
I don't doubt their commitment yg, I'm just looking for an update similar to this article on BO which states: "Bezos said the company planned to give first access on those orbital space trips to customers who had already purchased suborbital trips on New Shepard" as an example...
https://www.space.com/36267-blue-origin-space-capsule-interior-sneak-peek.html

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 640
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #10 on: 07/27/2017 07:33 pm »
Once they have D2 flying regularly I suspect there will be some private missions. The lunar flyby was a a pretty special case. It's an opportunity to buy a place in history and get lots of global publicity. The second and third time not so much. Once SpaceX passenger launches to the ISS are common, there won't be so much attention paid to private astronauts in LEO.

I think SpaceX did try to stir up interest from foreign governments and private citizens without getting many deposits. They had a similar experience with F1 that lots of people said it was a great idea until it came time to sign contracts and write checks then things got a lot quieter.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #11 on: 07/28/2017 01:01 pm »
Once they have D2 flying regularly I suspect there will be some private missions. The lunar flyby was a a pretty special case. It's an opportunity to buy a place in history and get lots of global publicity. The second and third time not so much. Once SpaceX passenger launches to the ISS are common, there won't be so much attention paid to private astronauts in LEO.

I think SpaceX did try to stir up interest from foreign governments and private citizens without getting many deposits. They had a similar experience with F1 that lots of people said it was a great idea until it came time to sign contracts and write checks then things got a lot quieter.
You raise an interesting point, is there really a market for orbital tourism without a stay at a station?

Offline Bynaus

• Scientist, Teacher, Writer, Family man
  • Switzerland
    • Final-Frontier.ch
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 271
« Reply #12 on: 07/28/2017 01:18 pm »

You raise an interesting point, is there really a market for orbital tourism without a stay at a station?

There's a Mr Bigelow outside and he wants to talk to you about your question. ;)
« Last Edit: 07/28/2017 01:19 pm by Bynaus »
More of my thoughts: www.final-frontier.ch (in German)

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #13 on: 07/28/2017 01:58 pm »

There's a Mr Bigelow outside and he wants to talk to you about your question. ;)
Better to refer him to Mr. Trump, perhaps they could create the "first space hotel" together... Hilton talked about it for decades...
https://theoutline.com/post/1073/hilton-never-ending-quest-to-build-a-hotel-in-space
« Last Edit: 07/28/2017 02:29 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: 07/28/2017 02:34 pm »
Gwynne Shotwell was on the space show back on 6/22. Around 20:45 she spoke about private flights: "There is a larger than I would have anticipated market for private passengers."

As said by others here, she also emphasized that they are first focused on their prime paying customer (NASA) and getting commercial crew going. Then they can expand to other orbital markets.

Listen to the show at http://www.thespaceshow.com/show/22-jun-2017/broadcast-2934-ms.-gwynne-shotwell

A great time stamp index of the show provided here on NSF forums at http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43197.msg1692769#msg1692769

Offline su27k

• Liked: 1296
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #15 on: 07/28/2017 03:17 pm »
Yeah, it looks like they are keeping the private flight plans under wraps for now. We only heard about the lunar flight because SLS/Orion was trying to one up them.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 540
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #16 on: 07/28/2017 03:41 pm »
I think there is a possibility that circumlunal flight announcement was also used by Musk as a signal to NASA that if they try to play bureaucracy game of making process of certifying crewed Dragon flights to ISS increasingly painful to SpaceX, an entirely different type of crewed Dragon flights would happen anyway, making NASA look silly.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #17 on: 07/28/2017 05:53 pm »
Making NASA look silly.
That ship sailed years ago... :o :(

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6728
  • Likes Given: 1314
« Reply #18 on: 07/29/2017 01:02 am »
Making NASA look silly.

Well for some ;)  Obviously silly enough to pay them to develop the spacecraft- glad to see that every thread can still dissolve into NASA bashing.

Offline gospacex

« Reply #19 on: 07/29/2017 01:04 am »
Making NASA look silly.

To be honest, only "manned" part of NASA looks... let's say "not so good".
The part which does space telescopes and unmanned missions is impressive (JWST budget saga being a notable exception).

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6728
  • Likes Given: 1314
« Reply #20 on: 07/29/2017 01:08 am »
Making NASA look silly.

The part which does space telescopes and unmanned missions is impressive (JWST budget saga being a notable exception).

I don't know- they're flying astronauts right now with their partners.  This "SpaceX makes everyone look silly", "SpaceX sending a message to NASA to not make things difficult" and "They were afraid SLS would steal their thunder" talk is ridiculous.  (If anything, being a supplier trying to embarrass your primary customer publicly would usually go poorly for anyone but Musk)

Offline gospacex

« Reply #21 on: 07/29/2017 01:57 am »
Making NASA look silly.

I don't know- they're flying astronauts right now with their partners.

After having to stop using the most expensive launch vehicle in history, NASA manned program now has no option but to resort to using a spacecraft made by "partners" who are political enemies of the West in general and US in particular, whose political leadership routinely murder journalists and opposition politicians and invade neighboring countries? Good job at "not looking silly".

But no worries, NASA manned program is well on the way of making a new most expensive launch vehicle in history! It should be ready by 2014! Oops...

I know that you are a SLS fanboi, but try to see some facts.
« Last Edit: 07/29/2017 01:59 am by gospacex »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #22 on: 07/29/2017 02:08 am »
To be fair NASA's robotic and probe exploration are second to none and the ISS is an engineering marvel and a model example of international political cooperation....
« Last Edit: 07/29/2017 02:14 am by Rocket Science »

Offline Confusador

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #23 on: 07/29/2017 09:43 am »
Making NASA look silly.

I don't know- they're flying astronauts right now with their partners.

After having to stop using the most expensive launch vehicle in history, NASA manned program now has no option but to resort to using a spacecraft made by "partners" who are political enemies of the West in general and US in particular, whose political leadership routinely murder journalists and opposition politicians and invade neighboring countries? Good job at "not looking silly".

But no worries, NASA manned program is well on the way of making a new most expensive launch vehicle in history! It should be ready by 2014! Oops...

I know that you are a SLS fanboi, but try to see some facts.

If you want facts, the "manned" part of NASA is what contracted for Dragon and Starliner; I'm not sure why you think those vehicles look "not so good".  They've got their fingers in many pots, some are better than others, but that's the nature of risk taking.  If they never make a bad decision, they're doing it wrong.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #24 on: 07/29/2017 12:04 pm »
Could we please bring the discussion back to SpaceX orbital tourism...

Tags: