Author Topic: ESA proposes new logistics vehicle for cis-lunar outpost (Deep Space Gateway)  (Read 2318 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1218
  • Likes Given: 598
ESA proposes new logistics vehicle for cis-lunar outpost: http://russianspaceweb.com/imp-lcub.html

Read then Discuss. LCUB was formally proposed at the latest Multilateral Coordination Board (MCB) meeting for DSG and would become a permanent module of the DSG.

Offline Joris

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 2
A lot of the components on this thing can be acquired off-the-shelf I imagine.

Does ESA itself have any experience with these components? It seems like something NASA would do themselves, with a lot of investment into these sort of systems. (from project prometheus till Dawn)

I mean I can't find any information on the mentioned ESA "Hall Effect Auxiliary Thruster". Does ESA even have investments in large scale electrical propulsion.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 02:53 PM by Joris »
JIMO would have been the first proper spaceship.

Offline Chasm

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 0
Sounds a bit like someone took the propulsion section of BepiColombo and ran with it.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5219
  • Likes Given: 1672
A lot of the components on this thing can be acquired off-the-shelf I imagine.

Does ESA itself have any experience with these components? It seems like something NASA would do themselves, with a lot of investment into these sort of systems. (from project prometheus till Dawn)

I mean I can't find any information on the mentioned ESA "Hall Effect Auxiliary Thruster". Does ESA even have investments in large scale electrical propulsion.
ESA's SMART-1 lunar mission flew with a Hall Effect thruster more than a decade ago. And yes, ESA has significant investments in (large scale) electric propulsion. Next mission to go up using significant electric propulsion is BepiColombo.

Offline floss

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 116
Read the article and it occurred to me that they should use the freighters for station keeping seeing s fuel transfer is so hard.Each freighter would have a year and a half lifespan .Six months travel six months station keeping and six months garbage disposal.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4068
  • Likes Given: 5580
Read the article and it occurred to me that they should use the freighters for station keeping seeing s fuel transfer is so hard.Each freighter would have a year and a half lifespan .Six months travel six months station keeping and six months garbage disposal.

Using expendable components (freighter, Orion, SLS, etc.) will severely limit the capability of the 'outpost.'
It will remain too expensive and be a road to no where.

Refueling needs to become standard.  Reuse everything... or don't bother.  (This probably means the outpost needs to be at EML-1 or 2.)
« Last Edit: 07/06/2018 10:21 AM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline floss

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 116
True but the bulk of the supplies will be fuel for lunar landers and food for the astronauts NASA tv had programmes about this after the Columbia disaster  .

Station keeping will be a tiny part of the supplies  that station will consume and it makes sense to use the freighter engines while they are docked . 

Tags: