Author Topic: NSF SpaceX Iridium-2, Doubleheader Part Deux - Electric Boogaloo Landing Bingo  (Read 31912 times)

Offline TripD

• Waiting for longer boats
  • Liked: 503
  • Likes Given: 364
Grats Daniels30!

At least this time my square (J-24) got to rub elbows with the victor. 

Hey, maybe there should be a Hollywood stars walk of fame to commemorate each successful landing.  Could make for a nice poster.

edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: 07/02/2017 06:55 AM by TripD »

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7647
  • Likes Given: 5480
A scattergram of all the landings would be super cool.

Also, I really think we fen are getting disrespected by SpaceX here. A simple grid to make this easy is really NOT an unreasonable request. They have to repaint it anyway. Get Octocrabby to do it...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Daniels30

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 122
There are a thousand things that can happen when you go to light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good. -
Tom Mueller, SpaceX Co founder and Propulsion CTO.

Offline GeneBelcher

• Colorado
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 248

Also, I really think we fen are getting disrespected by SpaceX here. A simple grid to make this easy is really NOT an unreasonable request. They have to repaint it anyway. Get Octocrabby to do it...

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, and not sure if this is what you meant, but this is what popped into my head.

Did I miss any? I only plotted those that Helodriver declared a square. Iridium-1 was mentioned in a picture thread he posted.

Edit - Fixed K-25. Of course I mess up the one for this thread!

Edit 2 - Changed layout a little and fixed typo.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2017 04:20 PM by GeneBelcher »

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 351
  • Likes Given: 3

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, and not sure if this is what you meant, but this is what popped into my head.

Did I miss any? I only plotted those that Helodriver declared a square. Iridium-1 was mentioned in a picture thread he posted.

There's definitely a bias for the right side of the board! Wonder why? Any educated (or wildly speculative) guesses?

Online Tuts36

• Memphis, TN
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 1207

Interesting.  Nothing below the 20 line.

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 821
haha nice! makes me want to plot all my picks... im sure theyre all on the left side.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1124
  • Likes Given: 243
I would hazard a guess that the barge is always oriented the same direction towards the prevailing winds so as the properly ride the waves. Hence a bias to land either a little up, or down wind.

Which direction have the prevailing winds tacked across the barge?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7647
  • Likes Given: 5480
Exactly what I meant. Thanks!  Interesting bias all right...

I would hazard a guess that the barge is always oriented the same direction towards the prevailing winds so as the properly ride the waves. Hence a bias to land either a little up, or down wind.

Which direction have the prevailing winds tacked across the barge?

The barge is always turned end on to the prevailing waves (not wind but those are sometimes the same) I think. And the tow is at one end, the front of the barge (see a side view of a Marmac and it has a sloped front end (bow) and a more vertical stern) so that's the end sailing into the waves when under thruster power.

But I'm not sure which end is which in this diagram. An enterprising person could take a look at a drone shot from Port Canaveral that's high enough to show the lettering, but low enough to show which end is the stern, and that would give the answer I would think.

I could do it but I'm lazy. In true software architect fashion, I've sketched out a solution to your question. Implementation is an exercise left to others. :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline GeneBelcher

• Colorado
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 248
The barge is always turned end on to the prevailing waves (not wind but those are sometimes the same) I think. And the tow is at one end, the front of the barge (see a side view of a Marmac and it has a sloped front end (bow) and a more vertical stern) so that's the end sailing into the waves when under thruster power.

But I'm not sure which end is which in this diagram. An enterprising person could take a look at a drone shot from Port Canaveral that's high enough to show the lettering, but low enough to show which end is the stern, and that would give the answer I would think.

I could do it but I'm lazy. In true software architect fashion, I've sketched out a solution to your question. Implementation is an exercise left to others. :)

Based on the first photo here of the hole punched by SES-9, it appears the stern is the right side of the diagram. So the landings seem to happen towards the aft end half of the barge.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2017 03:54 AM by GeneBelcher »

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 351
  • Likes Given: 3
That far out I would think the prevailing wind and wave directions (probably the same but not always as Lar suggests) are pretty stable over time. It suggests that the rocket always seem to land downwind of center and can't completely compensate for the effect of wind on its location.

Offline TripD

• Waiting for longer boats
  • Liked: 503
  • Likes Given: 364
It would be interesting to get the wind speed and direction for each of those landings.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1570
  • Likes Given: 1304
Yes but...
Except for SES-9, the "downwind" bias looks to be somewhat less than the scatter.
(I am sure an enterprising forum member can fit an assymetric distribution to the data to prove or refute that, but with an evolving system and few data points it's probably not worth it. )
Leaving the effect of wind uncompensated seems to be "good enough".
And we all know that "better is the enemy of good enough"
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Tags: