Author Topic: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related  (Read 76158 times)

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 1262
Re: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related
« Reply #100 on: 03/10/2018 06:16 PM »
My stream was having buffering issues, but apparently he started his talk by saying, "Anyone hoping for major news today, I can say that that is not what's going to be included here." Only mentionables are the confirmation that launch mount booster recovery is still the goal and that first operational cargo missions to Mars are NET "mid-2020s."

If we're over-analysing this, you could look at the mention of the moon as significant, while some other bits (large satellite launch) were downplayed with the slides being skipped.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2018 06:16 PM by speedevil »

Offline Craig_VG

• Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #101 on: 03/10/2018 08:43 PM »
He's the guy to watch.

He joined SpaceX a long time ago, it was the first concrete evidence that SpaceX is actively working on a Mars program...

Back in the very early days of F9 IIRC.

In addition, he took the title "Principal Mars Development Engineer" in November 2017 according to his LinkedIn. Before that he was a Systems Engineer and Spacecraft GNC Manager

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4497
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #102 on: 03/10/2018 09:24 PM »
He's the guy to watch.

He joined SpaceX a long time ago, it was the first concrete evidence that SpaceX is actively working on a Mars program...

Back in the very early days of F9 IIRC.

In addition, he took the title "Principal Mars Development Engineer" in November 2017 according to his LinkedIn. Before that he was a Systems Engineer and Spacecraft GNC Manager
Yeah, but I originally found him from looking at Mars transfer trajectory work.  The fact they gave him a non-Mars title was cute, since they of course knew who they were hiring...

-----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #103 on: 03/11/2018 07:07 AM »
Elon Musk Crashes Westworld Panel at SXSW 2018 (YouTube)

Rarely hear Elon so emotional!

Offline Danny452

• London, UK
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #104 on: 03/11/2018 12:44 PM »
At 6:26 the Falcon Heavy centre core crashes into the sea---the first time I've seen this.  Is there a better video of the attempted centre core landing?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
« Reply #105 on: 03/11/2018 01:19 PM »
At 6:26 the Falcon Heavy centre core crashes into the sea---the first time I've seen this.  Is there a better video of the attempted centre core landing?
- a clip from the longer video .

Offline Inoeth

« Reply #106 on: 03/11/2018 02:06 PM »
Elon is doing a Q &A at SXSW at 1 pm EST. I imagine it'll be a bit of a shitshow and only a couple questions related to SpaceX and I doubt we'll get any new information, but there ya go.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 345
« Reply #107 on: 03/11/2018 05:09 PM »
SXSW is live!

A few BFR questions, first ship currently under construction!

Online LucR

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #108 on: 03/11/2018 06:00 PM »
Anyone have a working link for SXSW? It went "This video is unavailable" while I was watching it...

Offline dnavas

• San Jose
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #109 on: 03/11/2018 06:11 PM »
Anyone have a working link for SXSW? It went "This video is unavailable" while I was watching it...

I watched the whole thing (the link I used is currently marked as unavailable), and the only spacex thing I heard that seemed worthy of being repeated was the goal of having some short hops of the new rocket in first half of 2019.  [I enjoyed the discussion about pre-Tesla as well, as I had a very similar set of (frustrating) conversations with Tom, but that's not spacex-related in the least.]

Offline speedevil

• Fife
« Reply #110 on: 03/11/2018 06:15 PM »

I watched the whole thing (the link I used is currently marked as unavailable), and the only spacex thing I heard that seemed worthy of being repeated was the goal of having some short hops of the new rocket in first half of 2019.  [I enjoyed the discussion about pre-Tesla as well, as I had a very similar set of (frustrating) conversations with Tom, but that's not spacex-related in the least.]

Even that's been said before.

Well I don't want to get too off-topic but you know I think we might, if we get lucky, be able to do short hop flights with the spaceship part of BFR maybe next year.

(transcript of FH post-launch press conference upthread).

An interesting interview nonetheless, even though almost no technical information was revealed.

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 517
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #111 on: 03/11/2018 06:19 PM »

Offline dnavas

• San Jose
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #112 on: 03/11/2018 06:42 PM »
...the goal of having some short hops of the new rocket in first half of 2019.

Well I don't want to get too off-topic but you know I think we might, if we get lucky, be able to do short hop flights with the spaceship part of BFR maybe next year.

Yeah, it was marginally more specific, and it seemed to move the goal posts *in* from "maybe next year" to "first half of next year"  ~5:45 in the above video.
« Last Edit: 03/11/2018 06:42 PM by dnavas »

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4497
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #113 on: 03/11/2018 07:27 PM »
...the goal of having some short hops of the new rocket in first half of 2019.

Yeah, it was marginally more specific, and it seemed to move the goal posts *in* from "maybe next year" to "first half of next year"  ~5:45 in the above video.
Time flies...  Originally I thought they wanted end of 2018...

So it's moved from 100 years before anyone else would have done it to 99.

I'm still happy, and waiting for the first pics from the factory floor.

Lighting the engines in 2019 means there are pieces existing somewhere today.

-----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 1857
  • Likes Given: 2235
« Reply #114 on: 03/12/2018 07:07 PM »
Shotwell will be on a panel at Satellite 2018, 4:15-5:15pm EST on March 12. Excitingly, on the same panel will be Stephane Israel of Arianespace, Bob Smith of Blue Origin, Tory Bruno of ULA, and Dr. Ko of Mitsubishi (H-II manufacturer). Should be an awesome time ;D

Launch Services Panel: Breaking Through the Bottleneck
The process and challenge of launching satellites to orbit breaks down to three basic elements: availability, costs and reliability. While costs and reliability have long been the focal points of industry discussion, the rapidly increasing line of constellations, with thousands of satellites waiting to be launched, has shifted our attention to the problem of availability. In order to meet current demand, the world's leading launch services need to dramatically increase their speed of operations. Some say we need to start seeing weekly launches. How can this be achieved without rushing or risking failure? Is it even physically possible to launch weekly? Will it ever be? This year's launch leaders panel will take a break from costs and focus exclusively on the challenge of availability, and discuss the impact of reusable rockets and other technologies on turnaround times. Open to conference -level attendees.

Any NSF users attending SatShow 2018? Shotwell's panel begins in 10 minutes. I'd die for a periscope or transcript ;D

Online Roy_H

• Liked: 263
  • Likes Given: 1441
« Reply #115 on: 03/12/2018 08:24 PM »
Shotwell will be on a panel at Satellite 2018, 4:15-5:15pm EST on March 12. Excitingly, on the same panel will be Stephane Israel of Arianespace, Bob Smith of Blue Origin, Tory Bruno of ULA, and Dr. Ko of Mitsubishi (H-II manufacturer). Should be an awesome time ;D

Launch Services Panel: Breaking Through the Bottleneck
The process and challenge of launching satellites to orbit breaks down to three basic elements: availability, costs and reliability. While costs and reliability have long been the focal points of industry discussion, the rapidly increasing line of constellations, with thousands of satellites waiting to be launched, has shifted our attention to the problem of availability. In order to meet current demand, the world's leading launch services need to dramatically increase their speed of operations. Some say we need to start seeing weekly launches. How can this be achieved without rushing or risking failure? Is it even physically possible to launch weekly? Will it ever be? This year's launch leaders panel will take a break from costs and focus exclusively on the challenge of availability, and discuss the impact of reusable rockets and other technologies on turnaround times. Open to conference -level attendees.

Any NSF users attending SatShow 2018? Shotwell's panel begins in 10 minutes. I'd die for a periscope or transcript ;D

Is there a link for this? Where do we watch it?
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline Inoeth

« Reply #116 on: 03/13/2018 12:15 AM »
It wasn't live-streamed, tho people like Jeff Foust live-tweeted what happened.

Will be “significant overlap” between Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy and BFR, given the effort required to develop Falcon vehicles and getting government certification for them. Source

Customers have accepted “flight-proven” first stages much faster than I expected. About half of our launches this year will be on reused first stages. Source

Block upgrades are behind us now, we can get cadence up; 9 flight-proven 1st stages launched so far, and 1/2 of this year's flights will use flight-proven stages. Customer acceptance happening faster than we thought. Source

BFR will probably be orbital in 2020, but you should start seeing hops in 2019. Source

We are going to fly Spaceflight Inc's smallsat group in a dedicated flight this summer. Source

SpaceX and ULA agree - Bruno: “Satellites are getting bigger and smaller.” Shotwell: “Disaggregated systems are very helpful to the launch industry.” Source

Market is not just demand, it's demand with money. A lot of smallsat guys dont have much money. That's why we ended Falcon 1. But with constellation replacement, small launchers may find a market. Source

After demonstrating reusable boosters, it’s now “soul-crushing” to even dispose of payload fairings now. Source

SpaceX needs a fully reusable rocket to get humans to other planets. Source

Hard to say how declining launch prices will affect emerging market for satellite servicing. Interest was driven in part by high launch prices. Source

Edit/gongora:  This was (badly) copied from a Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/83xx3k/shotwell_is_on_a_panel_with_bruno_israel_and/dvlgelc/
« Last Edit: 03/13/2018 01:08 PM by gongora »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5878
  • Likes Given: 1698
« Reply #117 on: 03/13/2018 07:37 AM »
A picture of the panel

Launcher panel @SATELLITEDC today: Thanks @torybruno for emphasizing how valuable the investment from suppliers is, when it comes to the development of next gen rockets. #SATShow @ulalaunch @blueorigin @SpaceX @Arianespace    @ILSLaunch

https://twitter.com/ruagspace/status/973321579772960768?s=21

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2846
  • Likes Given: 1716
« Reply #118 on: 03/13/2018 12:31 PM »
It wasn't live-streamed, tho people like Jeff Foust live-tweeted what happened.

Will be “significant overlap” between Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy and BFR, given the effort required to develop Falcon vehicles and getting government certification for them. Source

Customers have accepted “flight-proven” first stages much faster than I expected. About half of our launches this year will be on reused first stages. Source

Block upgrades are behind us now, we can get cadence up; 9 flight-proven 1st stages launched so far, and 1/2 of this year's flights will use flight-proven stages. Customer acceptance happening faster than we thought. Source

BFR will probably be orbital in 2020, but you should start seeing hops in 2019. Source

We are going to fly Spaceflight Inc's smallsat group in a dedicated flight this summer. Source

SpaceX and ULA agree - Bruno: “Satellites are getting bigger and smaller.” Shotwell: “Disaggregated systems are very helpful to the launch industry.” Source

Market is not just demand, it's demand with money. A lot of smallsat guys dont have much money. That's why we ended Falcon 1. But with constellation replacement, small launchers may find a market. Source

After demonstrating reusable boosters, it’s now “soul-crushing” to even dispose of payload fairings now. Source

SpaceX needs a fully reusable rocket to get humans to other planets. Source

Hard to say how declining launch prices will affect emerging market for satellite servicing. Interest was driven in part by high launch prices. Source

Was this just copied/pasted from another forum somewhere?  What's with the inactive "Source" at the end of each line?  Please link your sources.
« Last Edit: 03/13/2018 12:31 PM by gongora »

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7977
  • Likes Given: 5328
« Reply #119 on: 03/13/2018 12:34 PM »
Looks like it came from Twitter.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: