Author Topic: Opportunity rover updates and discussion  (Read 61181 times)

Offline JAFO

• Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: Opportunity rover updates and discussion
« Reply #260 on: 02/14/2019 06:01 am »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
Ernest K. Gann

Offline libra

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #261 on: 02/14/2019 06:27 pm »
Farewell, little Voyager of Mars. 15 years out of 90 days, talk about a ROI !! :o

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #262 on: 02/14/2019 10:14 pm »
It turned out to be 15 years and 28 miles.

One argument for human explorers on Mars in a nutshell.

That's not to take away from the achievement of those involved in the MER program. But even if you assume Opportunity managed to explore a very generous 400 square miles of Mars, it would have taken it nearly 4 million years to explore the whole planet.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #263 on: 02/14/2019 10:49 pm »
In 2009, Principal Scientist of the Mars Exploration Rovers, Steve Squyres was quoted in a Space.com article that feet on the ground could do all the years of work that Spirit and Opportunity over the years in a week.

Both (people and robots) are needed and are effective in their own ways.

Offline AS_501

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #264 on: 02/14/2019 11:02 pm »
Daydream:  An exceptionally powerful dust devil sweeps over Opportunity, clearing off the solar arrays and starting trickle-charging of the river's almost-dead batteries.  Meanwhile back on Earth, someone operating the Greenbank radio telescope turns the scope towards Mars on a whim, picks up a faint signal.  A week later Opportunity is on the move again.   ;)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 3195
« Reply #265 on: 02/14/2019 11:06 pm »
In 2009, Principal Scientist of the Mars Exploration Rovers, Steve Squyres was quoted in a Space.com article that feet on the ground could do all the years of work that Spirit and Opportunity over the years in a week.

I worked with Steve on the decadal survey (he's a great manager) and discussed this with him. His comment has really been taken out of context, and it's often used simply as a weapon in the "send astronauts now" argument. It's one aspect of a much larger discussion. Furthermore, there have been a number of automation improvements since 2009. For instance, Mars 2020 can do a lot more autonomous driving than Curiosity, plus it will have (I think) some ability to recognize interesting features as it is driving and call them out. So the machines are getting smarter.

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #266 on: 02/14/2019 11:16 pm »

I worked with Steve on the decadal survey (he's a great manager) and discussed this with him. His comment has really been taken out of context, and it's often used simply as a weapon in the "send astronauts now" argument. It's one aspect of a much larger discussion. Furthermore, there have been a number of automation improvements since 2009. For instance, Mars 2020 can do a lot more autonomous driving than Curiosity, plus it will have (I think) some ability to recognize interesting features as it is driving and call them out. So the machines are getting smarter.

One of the quiet, but significant, developments with Opportunity was the long, straight drives to Endeavour allowed NASA to test autonomous driving.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 3195
« Reply #267 on: 02/15/2019 03:11 am »
One of the quiet, but significant, developments with Opportunity was the long, straight drives to Endeavour allowed NASA to test autonomous driving.

I can believe that. During a JPL visit last year I saw a demonstration of the Mars 2020 update to the driving system. The rover will be able to navigate its way better than Curiosity. I don't remember all the details, but it's along the lines of Curiosity requires a bunch of commands to go to a location, and if it encounters a rock, it may simply stop and ask for instructions, which can cost a day or more. But Mars 2020 they point at a location and tell the rover to go there and it will navigate around obstacles much more freely on its own. This is also tied into the better vision system. But I'm vague on everything we were told. They did a number of tests in the Mars Yard to have the mockup avoid obstacles on its own.

Addendum: I'm not really telling it well. It's not that Curiosity is dumb when it comes to navigating, or that its software has not been improved over the years. It's just that Mars 2020 will have more capability, which should make it faster.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 03:15 am by Blackstar »

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1311
  • Likes Given: 2542
« Reply #268 on: 02/15/2019 03:38 am »
There have been some pretty good cartoons about Opportunity and Rovers in general.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Rondaz

• Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #269 on: 02/15/2019 02:21 pm »
Science: A Deeply Emotional Affair

Thomas Zurbuchen Posted on February 15, 2019

https://blogs.nasa.gov/drthomasz/2019/02/15/science-a-deeply-emotional-affair/

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #270 on: 02/15/2019 03:50 pm »
There have been some pretty good cartoons about Opportunity and Rovers in general.

To clarify, the bottom comic was published in 2010 for Spirit.  The Opportunity tribute has already been posted.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 6980
« Reply #271 on: 02/15/2019 04:07 pm »
I'm not crying. You're crying.

I don't know if I want Oppy brought home or enshrined right where it is. ...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 798
  • Likes Given: 856
« Reply #272 on: 02/15/2019 04:36 pm »
Opportunity is home already.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 176
« Reply #273 on: 02/15/2019 05:39 pm »
I'm kind of partial to

from https://xkcd.com/1504/
« Last Edit: 02/15/2019 05:39 pm by joncz »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3140
  • Likes Given: 8763
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1311
  • Likes Given: 2542
« Reply #275 on: 02/15/2019 10:48 pm »

To clarify, the bottom comic was published in 2010 for Spirit.  The Opportunity tribute has already been posted.
Yeah, I know. Thank you, Sheldon...

EDIT: I did say Rovers (as in plural).
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 02:38 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline JAFO

• Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #276 on: 02/16/2019 06:03 pm »
"My battery is low and it's getting dark."
Yeah, I know it was set in some kind of code and didn't really mean it in an emotional, lonely voice, but damn.... 

My wife was crying. I have allergies.

Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
Ernest K. Gann

Offline libra

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #277 on: 02/17/2019 07:17 am »
"My battery is low and it's getting dark."

That long black cloud is comin' down
It's gettin' dark, too dark to see
I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door

« Last Edit: 02/17/2019 05:36 pm by libra »

Offline joseph.a.navin

« Reply #278 on: 02/22/2019 02:19 am »
I am writing an article for my school newspaper on Oppy and it's mission.
How dic the rover die in terms of the clocks scrambleing? Are there any guesses by the team?

Offline joseph.a.navin

« Reply #279 on: 02/22/2019 04:28 pm »
here is my newly published article on Opportunity and the MER program for my HS newspaper, enjoy!
https://pfhstheroar.com/7103/news/other-news/after-eight-months-of-silence-nasa-says-a-final-goodbye-to-the-opportunity-rover/

Tags: