Author Topic: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion  (Read 428673 times)

Online MP99

It's safe to say that this will be only Falcon Heavy ever to use pre-Block 5 cores. After re-scoping Falcon Heavy to chase F9 iterations to v1.1 and then to FT specifications, now there's Block 5 coming. SpaceX needed to make the decision whether to bring the FH demo vehicle up to Block 5 spec with bolted octowebs etc. and accept further delays to a program already repeatedly delayed by F9 iteration churn -- or to simply launch the damn thing already even though it will end up being a one-off. This will forever be the unique "albino" FH demo vehicle.
I believe that the initial flight is using pre-block-5 cores because there is some question whether it will reach orbit.

I believe all following flights will be block 5 because they expect to learn enough from flight #1 that subsequent flights have a much better chance of succeeding.

Cheers, Martin

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 1705
  • Likes Given: 1174
Re: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #781 on: 01/02/2018 07:41 PM »
It's safe to say that this will be only Falcon Heavy ever to use pre-Block 5 cores. After re-scoping Falcon Heavy to chase F9 iterations to v1.1 and then to FT specifications, now there's Block 5 coming. SpaceX needed to make the decision whether to bring the FH demo vehicle up to Block 5 spec with bolted octowebs etc. and accept further delays to a program already repeatedly delayed by F9 iteration churn -- or to simply launch the damn thing already even though it will end up being a one-off. This will forever be the unique "albino" FH demo vehicle.
I believe that the initial flight is using pre-block-5 cores because there is some question whether it will reach orbit.

I believe all following flights will be block 5 because they expect to learn enough from flight #1 that subsequent flights have a much better chance of succeeding.

Cheers, Martin

The initial flight is using pre-Block 5 cores because it was meant to fly before Block 5 was ready.  Block 5 was never a requirement for FH.  All following flights will be Block 5 because all of the cores they'll be building will be Block 5.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 2555
  • Likes Given: 408
« Reply #782 on: 01/02/2018 09:31 PM »
That moment when you find a poll with your name on it and you've got the most votes and you go "What?"

But yes, I'll happily take charge of organizing something surrounding Falcon Heavy.  I'll be at KSC press site for the launch, but as we'll likely have A LOT of people coming for this, maybe I can dust off the old Shuttle dinner gatherings I used to organize and we can see who all wants to meet up for dinner/drinks the night before the first launch?

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #783 on: 01/03/2018 12:02 AM »
maybe I can dust off the old Shuttle dinner gatherings I used to organize and we can see who all wants to meet up for dinner/drinks the night before the first launch?

Dixie Crossroads?
Im gonna try to make it down.

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 481
« Reply #784 on: 01/03/2018 12:31 AM »
92% of what the website lists is about what all the 2017 flights have been running at - see the sims thread. I'm guessing it's what Block 3 and 4 cores are rated for, since SpaceX used to list Merlin at 170 klbf at liftoff (89.5% of 190 klbf). This would seem to apply to all early blocks of FT/v1.2, with only Block 5 getting a thrust upgrade.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160101081059/http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

Yes, most of the Block 3 and 4 sims are at 91% thrust up to and after throttle down for max-Q. What this tells me is that my mass estimate for F9 is about 1% too low, so I will be updating that figure.

Offline mdeep

• Photographer
  • Tampa Bay
    • Mike Deep Photography
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #785 on: 01/03/2018 01:56 AM »
But yes, I'll happily take charge of organizing something surrounding Falcon Heavy.  I'll be at KSC press site for the launch, but as we'll likely have A LOT of people coming for this, maybe I can dust off the old Shuttle dinner gatherings I used to organize and we can see who all wants to meet up for dinner/drinks the night before the first launch?

Always meant to go to one of these. As long as it doesn't conflict with remotes, I'll definitely try to join in.
Mike

Offline Flying Beaver

...who all wants to meet up for dinner/drinks the night before the first launch?

Well I look forward to joining everyone for every evening for a week or 2 week (plus) in that case  ;D.

(Kinda) Just joking, i'm sure they'll fly on the first or second attempt if the static fire goes well.

Was able to eye up the OG-2 F2 launch date well enough (one day off but punted 24hrs, in line with Elon :P) that i'd be confident getting plane tickets after a static fire confirmation, in line with the best estimates of launch date at that point, plus a 5/6 day buffer.
Saw OG-2 Booster Land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline Flying Beaver

Interesting detail from the pad pics are these three points on all the cores, facing the same way, even with the west booster being rotated 180degs. I assume these are telemetry transmitters? As they would be facing downwards as the vehicle pitches over during accent.
Saw OG-2 Booster Land in person 21/12/2015.

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 416
  • Likes Given: 1026
« Reply #788 on: 01/03/2018 03:34 AM »
Interesting detail from the pad pics are these three points on all the cores, facing the same way, even with the west booster being rotated 180degs. I assume these are telemetry transmitters? As they would be facing downwards as the vehicle pitches over during accent.
Speaking of one booster being rotated 180degrees. Couldn't help but notice these.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 276
  • Likes Given: 296
« Reply #789 on: 01/03/2018 03:58 AM »

Mods, split these meetup posts to a new thread, like the old STS launch days?

EDIT -- the new thread is here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44587.0
« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 04:00 AM by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline allio

• Dublin, Ireland
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #790 on: 01/03/2018 05:14 AM »
Was thinking the other day, How cool would five foot plushies of Jebediah, Bill, Bob and valentina strapped into the front of the tesla be?

AWESOME!

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1582
  • Likes Given: 339
« Reply #791 on: 01/03/2018 08:44 AM »
Interesting detail from the pad pics are these three points on all the cores, facing the same way, even with the west booster being rotated 180degs.

Note also something that looks like a wire in the leftmost two cores coming out of that same section. Wonder if its some instrumentation for the static fire because it doesn't look secure enough for a flight environment, but then why paint the wiring white?

Offline bdub217

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #792 on: 01/03/2018 01:59 PM »
I am interesting in seeing how big the initial launch window will be when the launch date is posted. Clearly there should be no operational restraints for launching a tesla in the general vicinity of a martian heliocentric orbit. I'd also imagine they'd want plenty of time to call a delay if anything should look unusual. That said - wouldn't an especially  lengthy active launch window negatively impact air and sea navigation around the cape?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 685
« Reply #793 on: 01/03/2018 02:06 PM »
Are there any viable slingshot orbits to enable trans-Martian injection coming up (via Venus or the Moon perhaps)?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1843
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #794 on: 01/03/2018 02:52 PM »
AIUI the inclination-from-the-ecliptic difference between Earth and Mars is "maximally bad" this month, so you'd either have to do something fancy---or else refire S2 after a couple months of coasting.

I'm starting to be persuaded that the "fancy" orbit is just a "simple" apogee-at-Mars-distance elliptical orbit, and the inclination difference is going to be sold as a planetary-protection "feature".

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2504
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #795 on: 01/03/2018 03:19 PM »
That moment when you find a poll with your name on it and you've got the most votes and you go "What?"

Dixie Crossroads like with the shuttle, you might want to count me in ;)

Online envy887

• Liked: 1379
  • Likes Given: 919
« Reply #796 on: 01/03/2018 04:28 PM »
Are there any viable slingshot orbits to enable trans-Martian injection coming up (via Venus or the Moon perhaps)?

There's no particular reason to do this. SpaceX can define a reference orbit that is similar to a TMI, and see how close the actual injection is relative to that target. No point in running any chance of actually hitting Mars down the road.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #797 on: 01/03/2018 06:07 PM »

Always meant to go to one of these. As long as it doesn't conflict with remotes, I'll definitely try to join in.

It definitely won't as it'll have to be around all the media events that I'll be at, too.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #798 on: 01/03/2018 06:30 PM »
With confirmation that there's a good deal of interest in having an NSF member meet up for Falcon Heavy's debut, I've started a dedicated thread for that.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44587.new#new

Offline CyndyC

AIUI the inclination-from-the-ecliptic difference between Earth and Mars is "maximally bad" this month, so you'd either have to do something fancy---or else refire S2 after a couple months of coasting.

I'm starting to be persuaded that the "fancy" orbit is just a "simple" apogee-at-Mars-distance elliptical orbit, and the inclination difference is going to be sold as a planetary-protection "feature".

There is also the question is that going to be close enough to Mars orbit for Elon Musk and enough SpaceX employees? If they delay the launch further just to get closer to Mars orbit, till late February as you said in a previous post on this topic, employees who don't care as much where the Roadster ends up and the public would only be disappointed for another 50 days, whereas if they don't delay the launch, Elon and employees who do care where the Roadster ends up would be disappointed for a billion years. I'm serious  ;)
"Joy to the world!" -- G.F. Handel

Tags: