Author Topic: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion Thread 1  (Read 569648 times)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 4333
  • Likes Given: 1335
Re: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #660 on: 12/30/2017 01:50 PM »
So...let me get this strait.  We have the most eagerly-awaited rocket roll-out in decades, and all we get are long-distance shots and no up-close hi-res's from SpaceX?

Patience, young Padawan.

Yeah, I keep telling Pargoo that but he just won't listen. Stubborn he is. ;)

Offline daveklingler

• Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #661 on: 12/30/2017 02:07 PM »
So...let me get this strait.  We have the most eagerly-awaited rocket roll-out in decades, and all we get are long-distance shots and no up-close hi-res's from SpaceX?

Patience, young Padawan.

Launch it.  :)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2663
  • Likes Given: 6829
« Reply #662 on: 12/30/2017 02:28 PM »
Photos and video are more than likely being taken for engineering documentation, just not released...They have other priorities at this time which also happens to be in the middle of a holiday week... Keep calm, Go SpaceX...
« Last Edit: 12/30/2017 02:32 PM by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1782
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #663 on: 12/30/2017 04:31 PM »
Just a quick question -- I've seen a lot of images of FH being brought out to the pad, erected, then brought back down to horizontal.  But nothing showing that it has been put back in the HIF.

Is it being left outside and on the pad?  If so, should we expect a couple more test erections and de-erections?

:)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1516
  • Likes Given: 4097
« Reply #664 on: 12/30/2017 04:36 PM »

Patience, young Padawan.

Someone over in a. competitor’s thread just called SX risk averse. :D

I think launches are addictive. The more we get, the more we want.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline atsf90east

I can't help but wonder what the excitement and comments would have been like if the internet had existed in May of 1966 when Saturn V 500F was rolled out to Pad 39A for fit checks.
Attended Launches: Space Shuttle: STS-85, STS-95, STS-96, STS-103. Falcon 9: Thaicom-8

Offline CyndyC

I see very little (if any) risk for POGO for FH, since they are flying the same stages as F9. Same engines, same tank lengths. POGO - if present - will show up in early launches.

All this talk of possible failure points - one more dramatic than the next - starts to border on concern trolling, IMO. “Surely SpaceX has not thought of *this*?”

According to what I Googled, pogo was successfully mitigated throughout the Shuttle launch program with only 3 engines each but had a way of creeping back into the Apollo program in spite of mitigation, all the way through Apollo 17.

I doubt people here think they are pointing out anything SpaceX people don't already know, but instead are trying to figure out their extra concerns based on the scary odds Elon has given the launch attempt, beyond the lists Chris Gebhardt has presented in his single core static fire articles.

The majority of concerns are probably even more innocuous than mn's suggestion of issues discretely times 3 in place of 3 times the issues. There might be one valve in one core that needs replacing as there has been in the past. 

I'm amazed that people continue to not understand the expectations game that Elon plays - all the time.

If they truly think that FH only has a 50% chance of succeeding, they are not going to launch. Period. They are going to want to be a lot more confident than that.

The 1st statement is true to some extent. I've only witnessed his giving the same odds for the 1st landing attempt, and even though when asked in a Reddit AMA shortly in advance how he had calculated those odds he admitted they were completely estimated, look what happened then.

However, the 2nd statement I tend to agree with, and since Elon gave the 50/50 odds some months ago, and there are obviously many who trust his instincts, some of those same people have probably done additional checks & corrections & increased the odds of success in the interim.

The biggest indication for observers of the odds of success or failure closer to launch time is going to be the range of the hazard area, and I would NOT want to be in the USAF's position of determining that. I won't go as far as quoting the aftermath of the historically largest pad explosion, but suffice it to say windows were blown off buildings as far away as 35 & 40 km (~22 & 25 mi), and for those feeling strong enough to read more my source is http://www.russianspaceweb.com/n1_5l.html.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5677
  • Likes Given: 1627
« Reply #667 on: 12/30/2017 05:49 PM »
Just a quick question -- I've seen a lot of images of FH being brought out to the pad, erected, then brought back down to horizontal.  But nothing showing that it has been put back in the HIF.

Is it being left outside and on the pad?  If so, should we expect a couple more test erections and de-erections?

:)

Now have confirmation it’s back in the HIF:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44376.msg1765919#msg1765919

Online RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #668 on: 12/30/2017 06:17 PM »
According to Chris B's (awesome) article, we currently ( but don't be shocked if this slips) have a SF targeted for the 6th with a window opening on the 15th. And also what time of day is it going to be?
"The Falcon has landed"

Online Heinrich

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #669 on: 12/30/2017 06:24 PM »
I knew the engines were going to be started 2 at a time. But I always thought this meant at each core. (So in total 6 at a time, 5 steps). Todays article by Chris says:
"It is understood that two Merlin 1D engines will be lit simultaneously followed by the next two… and so on until all 27 are up and running, providing a controlled ramp up to full power for the business end of the vehicle."
Which to me suggests only 2 at a time, so 14 steps in total.

Can someone clarify?
« Last Edit: 12/30/2017 06:25 PM by Heinrich »

Offline dnavas

• San Jose
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #670 on: 12/30/2017 06:46 PM »
I know I am not going to make any friends by saying this but it needs to be said.

I would majorly hate to be a member of the generation that just can't stand to wait until it [whatever "it" may be] actually happens.
The flip side is waiting patiently, like an 'adult,' for decades -- all the while knowing deep down that it will never happen. 

I think the flip side is getting off your own backside and doing something about it.  Either you're waiting to be a witness, or you're pressing to be a participant.

Most of us here are witnesses, and my counsel would be to find many things to watch in between the times when you work.  We've got a launch on the 4th, and a static fire on the 6th.  Then we wait to see what the outcome of that is (from launch mid-month to another pad rebuild .. ).  While we wait, there's CES the week after with cameras (to photograph launches) and maybe even processors (to edit the footage).  And then, hopefully, a launch....  Not sure I understand where the impatience comes from -- there's a LOT going on, especially in this corner of the world.  Heck, the last launch I watched was actually two -- JAXA and SpaceX, practically at the exact same time!
« Last Edit: 12/30/2017 06:47 PM by dnavas »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2663
  • Likes Given: 6829
« Reply #671 on: 12/30/2017 06:49 PM »
I see very little (if any) risk for POGO for FH, since they are flying the same stages as F9. Same engines, same tank lengths. POGO - if present - will show up in early launches.

All this talk of possible failure points - one more dramatic than the next - starts to border on concern trolling, IMO. “Surely SpaceX has not thought of *this*?”
Over the years they though up a "lot of things" that went off with a "bang"... Flight testing is not just to uncover what you haven't thought of but also to "confirm" what you have by building confidence in the modeling... So please don't worry too much by trying to be the "SpaceX thought police"...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online jpo234

• Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #672 on: 12/30/2017 07:33 PM »

There will be a saturation point when the Starlink build-up goes into full swing.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

There will be a saturation point when the Starlink build-up goes into full swing.

Assuming most if not all are broadcast to us of course. If launches become too numerous and common then I can see them only broadcasting special launches such as Crew launches, FH launches, etc. But anyway, back to Falcon Heavy.

Offline archae86

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #674 on: 12/30/2017 07:53 PM »
Larger versions
In the post (on the update thread) I'm referencing, the posted image of the 27-Merlin business end (FH-mated3.jpg) has four curious objects, a pair between each side booster and the main.  A colleague on another forum speculated that they might be damping devices, and I speculate they might be actuators in the separation system.  I've cropped a closeup from the cited photo and am attaching it as FH_Whazzat_0.jpg. 

Does anyone know what they are, or care to guess?
« Last Edit: 12/30/2017 08:11 PM by Chris Bergin »

Online IanThePineapple

Larger versions
In the post (on the update thread) I'm referencing, the posted image of the 27-Merlin business end (FH-mated3.jpg) has four curious objects, a pair between each side booster and the main.  A colleague on another forum speculated that they might be damping devices, and I speculate they might be actuators in the separation system.  I've cropped a closeup from the cited photo and am attaching it as FH_Whazzat_0.jpg. 

[GUESS]

I'd guess it's a pusher, while the other attachment points just hold it in place. Once they let go these would push the booster away.

[/GUESS]

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4465
  • Likes Given: 870
« Reply #676 on: 12/30/2017 08:37 PM »

If you're near SFO, look up the Elephant Bar, located on the shoreline in line with the threshold for runway 28, and watch them land in pairs as you get the Seared Ahi-Tuna and a Jack Daniels.

If THAT doesn't get old, I can't see how a few launches per day would.  :)
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10897
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #677 on: 12/30/2017 08:56 PM »

Not decades.  There were many others, just not hyped

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #678 on: 12/30/2017 09:11 PM »
Larger versions

They are the pneumatic pusher mechanisms. Two for each booster’s octaweb.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10897
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #679 on: 12/30/2017 09:14 PM »
Larger versions

not dampers.  no need for such.  It is the sep system

Tags: