Author Topic: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion Thread 1  (Read 586819 times)

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 887
Re: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #180 on: 11/20/2017 06:12 PM »
If Zuma really is delayed until at least December (which is currently being reported) can SpaceX move its launch to SLC-40 and start working on LC 39A to prepare it for Falcon Heavy launch?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1403
  • Likes Given: 1635
« Reply #181 on: 11/20/2017 06:25 PM »
If Zuma really is delayed until at least December (which is currently being reported) can SpaceX move its launch to SLC-40 and start working on LC 39A to prepare it for Falcon Heavy launch?

Related also to if FH-demo will use a fairing.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5578
  • Likes Given: 715
« Reply #182 on: 11/20/2017 07:37 PM »

Bingo.  FH has a fairing, too.  But to the SLC-40 question, why?  What would be the need to move Zuma to SLC-40?

CRS-13 is getting ready to go from SLC-40, and with a crew rotation period coming up, ISS traffic is a factor in having CRS-13 in early-December (not mid- to late-December if that can be avoided). 

And there is no need to move Zuma to SLC-40 just so 39A work can proceed for a maiden voyage of a rocket that doesn't have to launch by the end of the December.  If FH goes in January, that is perfectly all right.

Why completely disrupt paying customers' launch schedules by taking a perfectly active pad offline to prepare for a mission that isn't for a customer, isn't for profit, and doesn't have a "we need it launched by this date" aspect to its mission?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 444
  • Likes Given: 1368
« Reply #183 on: 11/20/2017 09:39 PM »

Seeking confirmation: Is the FH PLF to be the same "make/model" as currently used on F9?
Support your local planetarium!

Offline CuddlyRocket

Seeking confirmation: Is the FH PLF to be the same "make/model" as currently used on F9?

Does it matter? The demo mission is to demonstrate the launcher, not the fairing! If the fairing fails to open or opens improperly does that invalidate the test of the launcher which will have already passed through launch, maxQ, MECO, staging and second stage ignition? At worst you'll demonstrate an already suspected fault in the fairing. (Although the second stage might not complete its full firing sequence, it's a standard second stage - already flown on multiple missions.) Of course, you'll lose whatever's inside the fairing, but that might only be a mass simulator!

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 3149
  • Likes Given: 1848
« Reply #185 on: 11/21/2017 04:31 AM »
Yes it matters. A fairing failure would stop all launches with fairings during the failure investigation.

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #186 on: 11/21/2017 06:53 AM »

Does it matter? The demo mission is to demonstrate the launcher, not the fairing! If the fairing fails to open or opens improperly does that invalidate the test of the launcher which will have already passed through launch, maxQ, MECO, staging and second stage ignition? At worst you'll demonstrate an already suspected fault in the fairing. (Although the second stage might not complete its full firing sequence, it's a standard second stage - already flown on multiple missions.) Of course, you'll lose whatever's inside the fairing, but that might only be a mass simulator!

Also you forgot that the fairing could fail any time after ignition. Could come apart before maxQ

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #187 on: 11/21/2017 02:37 PM »
Yes it matters. A fairing failure would stop all launches with fairings during the failure investigation.

Seems that is already the case, without a failure.

Offline Michael Baylor

• Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #188 on: 11/28/2017 08:25 PM »
Numerous reports and confirmed by SpaceX: Falcon Heavy NET early 2018.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 6260
  • Likes Given: 1886
« Reply #189 on: 11/28/2017 08:52 PM »
Bit more detail:

SpaceX confirms Aviation Week report that the Falcon Heavy’s debut test flight is now expected in early 2018, a few weeks after a hold-down static fire test at KSC in December.

https://twitter.com/stephenclark1/status/935619345182543872

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5578
  • Likes Given: 715
« Reply #190 on: 11/28/2017 11:27 PM »
Bit more detail:

SpaceX confirms Aviation Week report that the Falcon Heavy’s debut test flight is now expected in early 2018, a few weeks after a hold-down static fire test at KSC in December.

In other words, it slipped by about 1 week.  And it's only "news" because it crossed a year boundary in that week. :D

Offline georgegassaway

• George's Rockets
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #191 on: 11/29/2017 05:13 AM »
In other words, it slipped by about 1 week.  And it's only "news" because it crossed a year boundary in that week. :D

How did you extract "early 2018" to mean first week of January???  Not even January, but first week of January?

Heck, I take it to mean Q1 of 2018. Which is what I predicted during Q1 of this year (hoping I'd be wrong, but considering everything related to FH announced scheduling for years, that seemed more likely than July 2017 did at the time).

I'd love for it to be the first week of January. But fool me once, fool me twice, fool me 27 or so times.... eventually a pattern emerges.  :)   and  :(
« Last Edit: 11/29/2017 05:15 AM by georgegassaway »

Online hamerad

• South Australia
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #192 on: 11/29/2017 06:06 AM »

How did you extract "early 2018" to mean first week of January???  Not even January, but first week of January?

Heck, I take it to mean Q1 of 2018. Which is what I predicted during Q1 of this year (hoping I'd be wrong, but considering everything related to FH announced scheduling for years, that seemed more likely than July 2017 did at the time).

I'd love for it to be the first week of January. But fool me once, fool me twice, fool me 27 or so times.... eventually a pattern emerges.  :)   and  :(
Maybe the part that says bold mine
Bit more detail:

[/b]

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5026
  • Likes Given: 1603
« Reply #193 on: 11/29/2017 06:09 AM »
Bit more detail:

You should have seen the static I was sent privately when I reported info (coming from SpaceX-ers no less), in september this year, that FH was fully expected to slip into 2018.

But in the end those SpaceX sources turned out to be correct.
« Last Edit: 11/29/2017 06:15 AM by woods170 »

Offline georgegassaway

• George's Rockets
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #194 on: 11/30/2017 12:01 AM »

Maybe the part that says bold mine

So, for your interpretation that  the launch to have just slipped one week into the first week of January,  you expect all hold down static firing tests  to be completed in the first week or two of December?

That’s the only way that “a few weeks” between then and the launch could be first week of January (if everything else worked out OK).

I’m willing to say “I was wrong” if it flies  before the 2nd week of January. Heck, I want to see it fly soon too.

Somewhere, there still may be someone expecting FH to launch tomorrow, because Elon said November.   :)
« Last Edit: 11/30/2017 12:24 AM by georgegassaway »

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1797
  • Likes Given: 1786
« Reply #195 on: 11/30/2017 07:37 AM »

You should have seen the static I was sent privately when I reported info (coming from SpaceX-ers no less), in september this year, that FH was fully expected to slip into 2018.

Actually no, they did not. Without the Zuma problems they might well have made it this year. Sources saying months ago that it can not happen this year were missing important developments like working in parallel on LC-40 and LC-39A.

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #196 on: 11/30/2017 09:55 AM »

Actually no, they did not. Without the Zuma problems they might well have made it this year. Sources saying months ago that it can not happen this year were missing important developments like working in parallel on LC-40 and LC-39A.

And yet, despite all your denials, the launch has still been moved to January. So YES they were correct.

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1797
  • Likes Given: 1786
« Reply #197 on: 11/30/2017 11:58 AM »
And yet, despite all your denials, the launch has still been moved to January. So YES they were correct.

Not relevant. Their reasons were wrong.

Edit: Or to formulate it differently, their statement that FH would not fly this year was based on wrong assumptions. So invalid even if in the end FH now does not fly this year.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2017 12:10 PM by guckyfan »

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #198 on: 11/30/2017 12:26 PM »

Not relevant. Their reasons were wrong.

Edit: Or to formulate it differently, their statement that FH would not fly this year was based on wrong assumptions. So invalid even if in the end FH now does not fly this year.

You have no idea what their reasons were.

And FH slipping to 2018 isn’t based purely on the Zuma situation anyways, it’s a complicated scenario with no one factor causing it.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2017 12:27 PM by old_sellsword »

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2054
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #199 on: 11/30/2017 01:43 PM »
The blame and I-told-you-so game is boring the rest of us.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2017 01:44 PM by cscott »

Tags: