Author Topic: SpaceX has hundreds of open job positions  (Read 26778 times)

Offline JAFO

• Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 204
Re: SpaceX has hundreds of open job positions
« Reply #60 on: 06/21/2017 05:03 am »
The generation they're targeting is probably more interested in free Red Bulls than free coffee.

(But then again, Space X doesn't need wings where they're going.)
« Last Edit: 06/21/2017 05:05 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3788
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #61 on: 06/21/2017 05:14 am »
Pffft... the baristas are always busy at SpaceX.

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4116
  • Likes Given: 5628
« Reply #62 on: 06/21/2017 12:23 pm »
SpaceX's Elon Musk Earns 8th Spot on Glassdoor's Top 100 CEOs List

SpaceX employees have good reasons to be happy

Given SpaceX's recent track record with rocket launches (and rocket landings), it's not surprising that employees approve of Musk's leadership. Following an explosion of its Falcon 9 on the launchpad last September, a major setback for the company, SpaceX has been on a success streak in 2017.

http://host.madison.com/business/investment/markets-and-stocks/spacex-s-elon-musk-earns-th-spot-on-glassdoor-s/article_26730a8f-1dd5-5db1-ad92-86c4496bcb74.html
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 731
« Reply #63 on: 06/21/2017 01:48 pm »
It's interesting re Glassdoor.  After the Amos 6 anomaly, Musk's ratings started trending up.  I wonder what Musk did to make his troops approve of him more after that episode.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2630
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #64 on: 06/21/2017 05:38 pm »
It's interesting re Glassdoor.  After the Amos 6 anomaly, Musk's ratings started trending up.  I wonder what Musk did to make his troops approve of him more after that episode.

Rallying the troops during a shared crisis usually works. Look at presidential approval ratings during an international crisis.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2017 05:39 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 2898
« Reply #65 on: 06/21/2017 06:18 pm »

Wild speculation: NOT taking a 'heads must roll' approach?

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1767
  • Likes Given: 4548
« Reply #66 on: 06/21/2017 09:32 pm »
I would be suspicious of people who mention "free coffee" as a "great employee benefit" and reason to join. It's a perk at most.

Similarly, I haven't worked in the US, but company canteens, usually charging net cost price only, are absolutely standard for firms above a certain size.
All that said I don't see free coffee as a huge benefit.

Why are we concentrating on the 'free coffee' part? That seems to be the least of the perks listed.

Why are we talking about perks at all for that matter?   Anyway, Free Swag is FAR more valuable!  :)
Seems like the OP is ignoring the "working at a rocket factory with a great culture and amazing people" part. I know that SpaceX is not everyone's cup of tea but that's some serious cherry-picking.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 1170
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #67 on: 06/22/2017 02:50 am »

The CEO rating didn't change much (has always been high), the company rating increased a lot though.

Offline Sotar

• Pacific NW
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #68 on: 06/22/2017 04:18 am »
I put in for a recent finance position they had posted.   I wasn't chosen for an interview.   A guy I work with is a former SpaceX Finance guy.  My understanding is they have a lot of millennials, and they haven't quite figured out a way to enable career growth. 

I check their job site every day or so.   I don't have the aeronautics exposure that they prefer.  I do have 17 years in high tech, and I have all you guys to educate me.!

Plus I have the desire to live in Cocoa Beach and drive a vet.  I'd even sweep the floor late into the night if need be. 

1% for Space

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 477
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #69 on: 06/22/2017 06:23 am »
What about logistics ?
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Offline AncientU

« Reply #70 on: 06/23/2017 12:24 pm »
Sounds like they are recruiting interns early:

‘They’re just like us’: Hawthorne middle-school girls get unique SpaceX visit

It’s rare to get a tour of SpaceX’s rocket-making Hawthorne headquarters, let alone one-on-one chats with its engineers.

But some Hawthorne middle-school girls who got just such an invitation recently were in awe of the work being done in their neighborhood.

“It was pretty surreal,” 13-year-old Bella Freire said. “Usually, you see rockets in magazines but not up-close and personal. Seeing people work on them is amazing. It makes me feel really small.”

A new volunteer group of female SpaceX employees — the 300-member SpaceX Women’s Network — welcomed Freire and two dozen other Prairie Vista Middle School students on a Saturday afternoon this month for some lessons on engineering and tips about life.

Freire said she enjoyed doing hands-on work with the engineers. Even though it sounds “kinda cheesy,” she said she was inspired by what she saw and heard.

“I was expecting them to be nerds, but they’re just like us,” she said. “One of the SpaceX girls reminded me of myself, and she was able to go to college and do engineering, and build a race car. That was pretty cool.”

Students got to take home their creations to tell their families about what they learned.

Toepel said she hoped to inspire young women in the way she was inspired by former NASA aerospace engineer and astronaut Susan Helms.

“Ever since I was young, I knew I wanted to become an astronaut,” Toepel said. “When they’d send a crew up, I’d sit there watching the Earth rotate in complete awe. Susan Helms became my mentor growing up because I thought: ‘There’s nothing special about her. I can do what she’s doing.’ ”

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20170622/theyre-just-like-us-hawthorne-middle-school-girls-get-unique-spacex-visit

Great outreach... GS must be delighted in her workforce.

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #71 on: 06/23/2017 12:34 pm »

After the events of 9/11, American Flags appeared on any house with a flagpole and 'American Flag Car Flags' were everywhere.

Adversity breeds solidarity.  In the face of a big problem, my little problem doesn't seem so worth griping about.

Elon probably didn't have to do anything except lead and give direction to his teams.
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8865
  • Likes Given: 5742
« Reply #72 on: 06/23/2017 12:34 pm »
RE: AncientU:
That's the perfect age to do this outreach, too. Most kids love this stuff in grade school, but by the time they get to high school, many think it's nerdy (and so often girls are told it's just for boys, that girls are bad at math, etc, so girls lose interest by the time they get to high school).

Also, middle school often sucks for girls with all the changing social pressures and expectations. A good time to do this.

And GS is such a boss. Glad to see the SpaceX women doing this outreach.
« Last Edit: 06/23/2017 12:35 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline AncientU

« Reply #73 on: 06/23/2017 12:38 pm »

After the events of 9/11, American Flags appeared on any house with a flagpole and 'American Flag Car Flags' were everywhere.

Adversity breeds solidarity.  In the face of a big problem, my little problem doesn't seem so worth griping about.

Elon probably didn't have to do anything except lead and give direction to his teams.

Not nothing...

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 272
« Reply #74 on: 06/23/2017 12:44 pm »

Not nothing...

Agreed.  However it is what he already does, not anything exceptionally different or special.  I am certain he tailored that leadership to the situation, as any good leader would do.
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #75 on: 06/23/2017 03:03 pm »

Not nothing...

Agreed.  However it is what he already does, not anything exceptionally different or special.  I am certain he tailored that leadership to the situation, as any good leader would do.

there's an (old now) war story from the third failed Falcon 1 launch available on Quora, from Dolly Singh, formerly SpaceX HR lead. well worth reading the whole thing if you haven't seen it already. certainly shows that Elon has some leadership skills when necessary:

I think most of us would have followed him into the gates of hell carrying suntan oil after that.  It was the most impressive display of leadership that I have ever witnessed.  Within moments the energy of the building went from despair and defeat to a massive buzz of determination as people began to focus on moving forward instead of looking back.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-work-with-Elon-Musk

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 7484
  • Likes Given: 2500
« Reply #76 on: 11/16/2017 08:13 am »
SpaceX have obviously been filling some positions:

Shotwell: I was the 7th employee at SpaceX. We’re up to about 7,000 now. #NewSpaceEurope

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/931087032830582784

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 348
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8398
  • Likes Given: 6728
« Reply #78 on: 10/30/2018 05:24 pm »
SpaceX bumps up hiring efforts with a focus on Hawthorne facility production line

From one of the listings for "Propulsion Technician (Merlin Engine)"...

"Responsible for staging, installing, set-up, testing and de-staging of production, repair and overhaul engines."

emphasis mine.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Rondaz

• Liked: 177
« Reply #79 on: 01/30/2019 08:24 pm »
SpaceX job openings have dropped 63% in just 3 weeks

7 hours ago by Joshua Fruhlinger in News, Trends

https://media.thinknum.com/articles/spacex-job-openings-are-down-63-in-just-the-last-3-weeks/

Tags: