Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 523985 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 1850
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #1720 on: 07/13/2018 08:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1017807493311811584?s=19

SpaceX ✔ @SpaceX
 Mr. Steven now with more net. SpaceXs fairing recovery vessel has been fitted with a 4x larger net ahead of its next recovery attempt targeted for later this month. http://instagram.com/p/BlLYeNnFZNA/
12:26 PM - Jul 13, 2018
|
https://twitter.com/ShorealoneFilms/status/1017807808169795584?s=19

Matt Hartman @ShorealoneFilms
yup. i was there

DM

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1085
  • Likes Given: 7318
« Reply #1721 on: 07/15/2018 07:37 AM »
The pictures of the new net deployed are incredible.  Can't wait.

It will be very interesting to see if and when we see 2 ships and fairings being reflown.

End of this year is coming quick but maybe there is an outside shot at that.
Launch cadence suggests they will have plenty of chances to get it right. There are at least 2 FH launches scheduled before 1st of Jan 2019
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1445
  • Likes Given: 1198
« Reply #1722 on: 07/16/2018 05:48 AM »

It will be very interesting to see if and when we see 2 ships and fairings being reflown.

Launch cadence suggests they will have plenty of chances to get it right. There are at least 2 FH launches scheduled before 1st of Jan 2019

I think you missed the point.
FH is not what he is talking about.
I think wannamoonbase means two fairing halves from any Falcon launch being recovered, which takes 2 ships, and then be reflown on a single flight.
edit: But you are right that they will have plenty of chances
« Last Edit: 07/16/2018 05:49 AM by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline aero

• Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #1723 on: 07/16/2018 04:15 PM »
If one half of the fairing loitered at altitude for as long as possible while the other half descended as quickly as practical, then after catching the quickly descending fairing half, would there be enough time to lower the net, stow the first half fairing and raise the net to catch the second half fairing?
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 693
  • Likes Given: 1151
« Reply #1724 on: 07/16/2018 07:24 PM »
If one half of the fairing loitered at altitude for as long as possible while the other half descended as quickly as practical, then after catching the quickly descending fairing half, would there be enough time to lower the net, stow the first half fairing and raise the net to catch the second half fairing?

Have to disagree, that's a gamble and wrestling something as large a fairing on a fast schedule would be ripe with safety problems.

Buy a second boat and install a second net.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 693
  • Likes Given: 1151
« Reply #1725 on: 07/16/2018 07:26 PM »

I think you missed the point.
FH is not what he is talking about.
I think wannamoonbase means two fairing halves from any Falcon launch being recovered, which takes 2 ships, and then be reflown on a single flight.
edit: But you are right that they will have plenty of chances

Correct, I meant recovering a full fairing and reflying it.

I agree they have plenty of opportunities to try.  But they'll need to add a second west coast and 2 east coast vessels.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Tags: