Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 488859 times)

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 105
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #1780 on: 02/04/2018 01:23 AM »

Sounds like some futuristic tech if it is simulating mass rather than just being mass. ;)

The latest training tools for the priesthood brought to you by your local Catholic educational institution.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 01:28 AM by Cherokee43v6 »
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
« Reply #1781 on: 02/04/2018 01:26 AM »
Just saw this on Craigslist ...

FS: Gently Used Orbital Launch Vehicle - $9900000 (Port Canaveral)

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/hvo/d/fs-gently-used-orbital-launch/6480376032.html

I dunno, think I'll pass on this one.  Most sellers would at least wash the thing first.  Not just rinse it off.

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #1782 on: 02/04/2018 01:32 AM »
Indy clips are surely party thread material.
You're right of course Lar. I guess we're running out of stuff to speculate on leading up to the big show... ;D

Since he's an aviator and he cares enough about this launch to do what he's doing, then it's not any more far-fetched to think he could be following this thread and others here. How much ribbing someone is willing & able to tolerate or how much it serves a useful purpose would depend on the circumstances and the person, but he has already stated great remorse over the incident, so I'm guessing he wouldn't particularly like or need any reminders.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1841
  • Likes Given: 4000
« Reply #1783 on: 02/04/2018 01:33 AM »

Sounds like some futuristic tech if it is simulating mass rather than just being mass. ;)

The latest training tools for the priesthood brought to you by your local Catholic educational institution.

2...4...6...8... Time to Transubstantiate.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
« Reply #1784 on: 02/04/2018 01:36 AM »
Falcon Heavy Landing Bingo...

Ya know... I'm disappointed.  I took a look and there's not a game to pick the 'geographic equidistant centerpoint' for ALL THREE boosters landed.

8)

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #1785 on: 02/04/2018 01:43 AM »
Anyone want to speculate that Harrison Ford may be one of the two who have contracted for the FH lunar flight?  Wouldnít that be a kick!

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 394
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #1786 on: 02/04/2018 01:47 AM »
Anyone want to speculate that Harrison Ford may be one of the two who have contracted for the FH lunar flight?  Wouldnít that be a kick!

Aww. Makes me think of Ford and Fisher making the flight together.  :'( Would have made a beautiful flight.

Offline zodiacchris

• Port Macquarie, Australia
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #1787 on: 02/04/2018 02:02 AM »
I second what Cyndy said! And itís easy to make fun of an aviator, but hard to show that you can do better, specifically those of you who donít hold a lincense yourself! Besides, this is not the Harrison Ford thread, look at the title, and there is also a thread for the proposed lunar flight...  >:(

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1175
  • Likes Given: 2259
« Reply #1788 on: 02/04/2018 02:18 AM »
I doubt Ford would do it - his wife Callista allegedly doesn't even want him to fly planes much anymore. If any Hollywood type was going to afford the circumlunar mission; Tom Hanks or James Cameron could both probably afford it. But Hanks is a diabetic, so would likely not pass the medical without a special clearance. Also; Cameron is too busy making Avatar films in New Zealand for the next few years.

Edit/Lar:
COME ON GUYS! Not a Harrison Ford thread... don't make me stop this car and turn around.

Edit2/Lar:
Did what I should have (moved it to party thread) Carry on...
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 03:17 PM by Lar »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 782
  • Likes Given: 977
« Reply #1789 on: 02/04/2018 03:41 AM »

Aww. Makes me think of Ford and Fisher making the flight together.  :'( Would have made a beautiful flight.

Even better Ford (Han) and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mayhew

Colonize Mars!

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 782
  • Likes Given: 977
« Reply #1790 on: 02/04/2018 03:53 AM »

2...4...6...8... Time to Transubstantiate.

For the younger crowd you may not catch the reference
So as a community service ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Tom-lehrer-vatican-rag-lyrics

The video at the top is great! Prof Tom Lehrer,  an amazing talent.
We used to sing here songs at lunch (not launch) when I started work a billion years ago.
Colonize Mars!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2799
  • Likes Given: 7354
« Reply #1791 on: 02/04/2018 03:10 PM »
I second what Cyndy said! And itís easy to make fun of an aviator, but hard to show that you can do better, specifically those of you who donít hold a lincense yourself! Besides, this is not the Harrison Ford thread, look at the title, and there is also a thread for the proposed lunar flight...  >:(
You know us pilots all sit around the clubhouse and mentally grade every landing on our field...fess-up! ;)
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 03:31 PM by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2799
  • Likes Given: 7354
« Reply #1792 on: 02/04/2018 03:14 PM »
Indy clips are surely party thread material.
You're right of course Lar. I guess we're running out of stuff to speculate on leading up to the big show... ;D

Since he's an aviator and he cares enough about this launch to do what he's doing, then it's not any more far-fetched to think he could be following this thread and others here. How much ribbing someone is willing & able to tolerate or how much it serves a useful purpose would depend on the circumstances and the person, but he has already stated great remorse over the incident, so I'm guessing he wouldn't particularly like or need any reminders.
All pilots, myself included have made stinkers and we all joke about it... ;) No big deal... "I kid because I care"... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7516
  • Likes Given: 5288
« Reply #1793 on: 02/04/2018 03:17 PM »

This IS the thread you were looking for.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 607
  • Likes Given: 1366
« Reply #1794 on: 02/04/2018 07:09 PM »
T-48:21

PST

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1175
  • Likes Given: 2259
« Reply #1795 on: 02/04/2018 09:00 PM »

Even better Ford (Han) and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mayhew

Peter Mayhew is now frail and wheelchair bound, sadly - so that wont work.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 09:12 PM by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7516
  • Likes Given: 5288
« Reply #1796 on: 02/04/2018 09:36 PM »
Shirley somebody will have to clean up the guano those critters are bound to be depositing on the dish? Or does it not really matter?
Somebody will clean it up.
 And don't call me Shirley.
Apparently Nomadd's industrial empire is expanding???
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1841
  • Likes Given: 4000
« Reply #1797 on: 02/04/2018 09:44 PM »
T-48:21

PST

That's a really strange bingo pick. 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Rangertech1

« Reply #1798 on: 02/05/2018 03:26 AM »
I'm so sorry, I have to admit, "I'm the snitch." I contacted the NIH after I got out of emergency. I was offline doing other things and when i returned to the  Launch, Land, and party thread, I had to binge read 15, uuhhhh? seperators to get caught up. I tipped the diffibulator tech for getting the voltage just right,. Anyhow, if it's got mirrored glass and is predomintely glossy black, you have me to blame.
Solid Rocket boosters get a bum rap. " Fireworks," I beg your pardon Sir! Cheap thrust is still thrust.

Offline toruonu

« Reply #1799 on: 02/05/2018 04:19 AM »
As this clearly isn't on par with the discussion thread I still thought to add that I think the best illustration why you cannot take average statistics also applies here. If Jane sleeps with 100 men a year, Martha sleeps with 20 and Judith is still a virgin, then on average they are all sluts.

I think the deeper meaning of non-additive carries over to also the landing/launch reliability statistics ;)

Tags: