Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 224404 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5727
  • Likes Given: 3827
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #640 on: 06/08/2017 04:55 PM »
You're never wrong, Lar.

You've confused me with Jim again! I'm wrong all the time. For instance I once said you were handsome... (grin, duck run!)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 353
« Reply #641 on: 06/08/2017 06:17 PM »
"Rocket bees" tm

You heard it here first.
:)

"Space Wasps", actually. And they first graced the very first Falcon 9 launch.

See here, at 1:11

This rocket has no legs !
STOP THE FLIGHT !
IT'S GOING TO CRASH !
"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal. "
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #642 on: 06/08/2017 08:12 PM »
[ULAlaunch coverage]... is about as exciting and awe-inspiring as watch paint dry.
You don't watch enough of them, then. They have shown video of spacecraft separation in the past.

Jim speaks truth!!!! You can NEVER watch too many launches! Amirite?
Totally right! I watch as many launches as I can because their interesting. And it still amazes me that this huge heavy thing can propel itself to space. Heck, I'm still amazed watching planes fly, and I'm pretty good on the physics of airplanes.

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
  • Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 1282
« Reply #643 on: 06/08/2017 09:00 PM »
[ULAlaunch coverage]... is about as exciting and awe-inspiring as watch paint dry.
You don't watch enough of them, then. They have shown video of spacecraft separation in the past.

Jim speaks truth!!!! You can NEVER watch too many launches! Amirite?
Totally right! I watch as many launches as I can because their interesting. And it still amazes me that this huge heavy thing can propel itself to space. Heck, I'm still amazed watching planes fly, and I'm pretty good on the physics of airplanes.
Agreed...
I watch a launch in awe of the physics involved... not just the sight and sound (which is  8) also)
The gross metric tons of prop and oxidizer being turned into useful work and waste heat at a mind boggling rate per second is what makes me  ;D ... 
You ever figure up the BTU's of waste heat per second left in a F9's wake?... mind boggling...  :o
« Last Edit: 06/08/2017 09:03 PM by John Alan »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #644 on: 06/09/2017 04:40 PM »
Thanks goodness the person that left his calipers behind in the trunk remembered to take his lawn darts with him!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #645 on: 06/09/2017 08:43 PM »
Hi Res set from Gary Blair (taken from a public area...as always) going into L2 over the coming hours, but this is a big milestone, so passing on at least a preview as "Conehead" is cool.

We believe this is 1023 (formerly the leaning Tower of Thaicom-8). One of the two flight proven S1's that will be with the Falcon Heavy debut.
From the picture it looks like the guy wires are attached to some kind of ring placed over the cone.  Does the center core have attach points for the wires that the side cores don't or are covered up by the cone?

The center core (and normal F9s for that matter) have those same guy wires attach to their interstage separation mechanisms. Since the side boosters don't have those, they use that special ring solution.
if these rings have any sensors on them do they qualify as sensor rings?

Beldar would be  pleased.  ;D  8)

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #646 on: 06/10/2017 06:32 AM »
Okay, that's 55 seconds that I will never get back....

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 487
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #647 on: 06/10/2017 11:03 AM »
From the Falcon Heavy discussion thread:

Th east coast of Florida is a major nesting area for the Loggerhead, and also significant nesting of Greens take place here. Maybe some Ridleys.  A lot of activity in Florida revolves around their cycle and the legal testrictions now in place for their protection.

And I'm sure they are frequently at "loggerheads" with the "Greens".
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Online S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 425
« Reply #648 on: 06/10/2017 08:03 PM »
« Last Edit: 06/10/2017 08:05 PM by S.Paulissen »
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #649 on: 06/11/2017 01:35 AM »

That said, the video of the fairing separating from the X-37B would be awesome.

Done to "Also sprach Zarathustra"?

I think blue danube

"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #650 on: 06/11/2017 01:36 AM »
actually this one is better

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #651 on: 06/11/2017 05:54 AM »

Oh dear.. I had hoped to do something productive today, but now you are *forcing* me to watch this masterpiece again.

The mindboggling thing is, this movie is old. *ancient* even. It is actually 2 months older than I am!
And still it is a more accurate portrayal of spaceflight than any of the modern movies. Gravity, anyone? How about some Interstellar gravity?

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #652 on: 06/11/2017 03:40 PM »

Oh dear.. I had hoped to do something productive today, but now you are *forcing* me to watch this masterpiece again.

The mindboggling thing is, this movie is old. *ancient* even. It is actually 2 months older than I am!
And still it is a more accurate portrayal of spaceflight than any of the modern movies. Gravity, anyone? How about some Interstellar gravity?

The only bit that seems inaccurate is the idea of attempting to walk upright in zero g. Up to this point everyone just flies around and doesn't bother wearing shoes. Maybe ITS can "fix" that by enforcing corridors to walk and inventing "grip shoes" that work as God and Kubrick intended.

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #653 on: 06/11/2017 05:42 PM »

The only bit that seems inaccurate is the idea of attempting to walk upright in zero g. Up to this point everyone just flies around and doesn't bother wearing shoes. Maybe ITS can "fix" that by enforcing corridors to walk and inventing "grip shoes" that work as God and Kubrick intended.

What's to invent? Use pile carpet on the 'floor' and velcro soles on your sneakers.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #654 on: 06/11/2017 05:49 PM »

That and space liners would never fly with an empty flight like that. They'd have it overbooked ten ways to Sunday with a survival of the fittest scrum in the loading area.

« Reply #655 on: 06/11/2017 06:12 PM »
That and space liners would never fly with an empty flight like that.

Space liners of the future will be navigated by computers rather than by two pilots as in Kubrick's vision.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 3452
« Reply #656 on: 06/11/2017 06:35 PM »
Okay, that's 55 seconds that I will never get back....
Isn't that the very definition of of a party thread?
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4139
  • Likes Given: 843
« Reply #657 on: 06/11/2017 08:18 PM »

That and space liners would never fly with an empty flight like that. They'd have it overbooked ten ways to Sunday with a survival of the fittest scrum in the loading area.
That was the point in the book - that it was sooo classified, he got a private flight, otherwise unheard of.

Like the feds clearing up the freeway for someone in a recent movie...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #658 on: 06/11/2017 08:19 PM »

Space liners of the future will be navigated by computers rather than by two pilots as in Kubrick's vision.
That's right!

And video payphones.....

I mean video calls, ok.  But they missed the whole phone-in-your- pocket thing..

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #659 on: 06/11/2017 08:22 PM »

That's right!

And video payphones.....

I mean video calls, ok.  But they missed the whole phone-in-your- pocket thing..
But yeah, an absolute masterpiece.

Tags: