Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 434420 times)

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 343
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #580 on: 05/31/2017 02:51 AM »
Snip

Maybe you could reduce the startup fireball effect by spraying liquid nitrogen into the flame trench just before Falcon 9 ignition.

Or maybe you can spray burnt hydrogen there (you can think it as liquid ash), it can also suppress the sound waves!!! Two flies in one swat! How nobody have think that before.

(sorry Zed I had to...)
You gotta be really careful with that dihydrogen monoxide stuff, though. Inhaling even just a small amount can be devastating to your lungs. Most people just think it's harmless, but it can be deadly and it's everywhere in the environment. You can read more at this great website:
www.dhmo.org

(Yes ,the website is real [and hilarious]. Yes, I know what DHMO actually is. Yes, you should, too.)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6963
  • Likes Given: 4754
« Reply #581 on: 05/31/2017 03:38 AM »

I guess I would have expected the pad perimeter to have been outside whatever distance debris could reasonably be expected to go in order to prevent this sort of thing.

Not really.  The pad perimeter fencing is added security and protection for critical pad systems, not for how far the rocket can throw debris.

I'm not sure what good a "perimeter" would do anyhow, except to make access to the fire harder. And you're sure not going to pave a square mile of ground.

Seriously? Man, think bigger
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #582 on: 05/31/2017 10:44 AM »
So there are quite a few launches stacking up for the next 36 hours......have Chris and you all be fully prepared for all these rockets covfefe yet?  ;)
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #583 on: 05/31/2017 11:46 AM »
So there are quite a few launches stacking up for the next 36 hours......have Chris and you all be fully prepared for all these rockets covfefe yet?  ;)

Yes sir. We'll have live covfefe of all three. We have the best covfefe here, so great, unlike the failing fake news nasaspaceflight.org. Those guys are terrible. #SoSad

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 778
  • Likes Given: 939
« Reply #584 on: 05/31/2017 12:01 PM »

Yes sir. We'll have live covfefe of all three. We have the best covfefe here, so great, unlike the failing fake news nasaspaceflight.org. Those guys are terrible. #SoSad

Like isn't strong enough for this one ...
Should be some extra things for example

LMAO. 
Or even SCTMN = Spit coffee through my nose
Colonize Mars!

Offline dodo

• Scotland
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #585 on: 05/31/2017 12:23 PM »
If only all that energy could be applied in the vertical direction.

Online tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #586 on: 05/31/2017 01:00 PM »
Yes, if you are just planning to go suborbital, otherwise I would put a significant proportion of it to gain adequate horizontal velocity.

Offline Shanuson

• Liked: 197
  • Likes Given: 498
« Reply #587 on: 05/31/2017 02:22 PM »
Yes, if you are just planning to go suborbital, otherwise I would put a significant proportion of it to gain adequate horizontal velocity.

Isn't it only a question of how far/fast you go "vertical". In the extrem case when you excede the earth escape velocity you will never come back to earth and thus you are definitely not suborbital. So the question is there a point(velocity) where you would enter an orbit around earth between being suborbital and leaving earth completely?

Also what kind of vertical are we talking about? vertical relative the the position on Earth we came from, which rotates. Or vertical as we do neither change our angular momentum vector nor our orientation to it.

And does this question even belongs into a party threat?

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #588 on: 05/31/2017 03:56 PM »

Isn't it only a question of how far/fast you go "vertical". In the extrem case when you excede the earth escape velocity you will never come back to earth and thus you are definitely not suborbital. So the question is there a point(velocity) where you would enter an orbit around earth between being suborbital and leaving earth completely?

Also what kind of vertical are we talking about? vertical relative the the position on Earth we came from, which rotates. Or vertical as we do neither change our angular momentum vector nor our orientation to it.

And does this question even belongs into a party threat?

Only is you're already three sheets to the wind! ;D
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #589 on: 05/31/2017 09:36 PM »
I am in Melbourne Beach very close to the Cape, is there a "going to view launch" thread for this launch? If so I have  not been able to find it. Actually I am interested in seeing the landing.

Offline dgates

• Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #590 on: 06/01/2017 12:03 AM »
Jim is a steely eyed rocket man.  That is all.
Pilot

Offline dgates

• Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #591 on: 06/01/2017 12:10 AM »

There is a colloquial term in the USAF and flight test community, "queep".  Covfefe is similar although is smells worse.  Is admin BS, unneeded paperwork, useless reports, forms filled out for the sake of filling out forms, hurt feelings reports, etc.
Another possible is "unequaled excellence", as in "this rocket is SO damned covfefe, it's gonna shoot that comsat into GTO on the first stage alone.  Just sayin'.

Pilot

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 1689
« Reply #592 on: 06/01/2017 12:32 AM »
Here in the blessed city of my fathers and my father's fathers we have an abundance of spiritual resources to call on when the going gets tough. In the next 24 hours we have double the usual need. The Predators are playing in the second game of the Stanley Cup Finals and there's a rocket to launch. We got it covered.

« Last Edit: 06/01/2017 12:33 AM by Elvis in Space »
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 697
  • Likes Given: 1154
« Reply #593 on: 06/01/2017 01:53 PM »

Here's to a yuge month of launches from bigly companies like SpaceX and the rest.

Covfefe for all!!
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Online JazzFan

• Florida
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #594 on: 06/01/2017 05:52 PM »
Old saying, what goes up.............

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1113
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #595 on: 06/01/2017 07:07 PM »
....unless it lasts more than four hours. Then you should consult a physician.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2666
  • Likes Given: 6833
« Reply #596 on: 06/01/2017 09:08 PM »
The SpaceX "weather modification network" (patent pending) might come in handy right now... :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 778
  • Likes Given: 939
« Reply #597 on: 06/01/2017 09:46 PM »
I wish they would wash their rockets the night before and not on launch days.
These scrubs are tiresome. ::)
Colonize Mars!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6963
  • Likes Given: 4754
« Reply #598 on: 06/01/2017 09:51 PM »
a clean rocket is a dirty shame. In this context
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline DaveJ576

• Portage, MI
    • Pigboats.com
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #599 on: 06/01/2017 09:54 PM »
Dang. What a bunch of weenies. Scrub due to lightning. Gene Kranz and Pete Conrad would have said go!  :)
« Last Edit: 06/01/2017 09:56 PM by DaveJ576 »
"We have a pitch and a roll program and man this baby is really going!"

Tags: