Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 517066 times)

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 361
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #2760 on: 09/19/2018 07:49 PM »
My previous fingerpainting experience was before Gagarin flew, but it is coming back to me.
I'm working on a portfolio to send to MZ.  ;D

Offline Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 445
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #2761 on: 09/19/2018 07:56 PM »
Watching the new physics sim of the BFS entry when the wife says, "Is that a drone?"
 "No it's the BFS",  I reply.
 "Best Friend Sometimes", is her retort.

which goes with the "Best Friend Before" to make the "Best Friend Rarely".

(Also: hang on to that one, she's a keeper. But you know that.)
Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 601
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #2762 on: 09/19/2018 07:59 PM »
My previous fingerpainting experience was before Gagarin flew, but it is coming back to me.

What happens once you've painted all your fingers?

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 1900
« Reply #2763 on: 09/19/2018 07:59 PM »
I actually did study photojournalism in college and got very hungry learning that there are about six people who actually make money doing it. Most of those worked for National Geographic at the time. I finally went back to school and learned how to wear a tie but I've always tried to  keep my skills up. Think he might be impressed with hundreds of college bikini-girls from the early 80's and ten thousand very well composed photos of my family? I can work on computers and clean toilets during the flight too. If they launch by 2023 I'll only be 60 and I like dogs. My wife says I can go. I think she really wants me to.  ::)
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #2764 on: 09/19/2018 08:03 PM »

What happens once you've painted all your fingers?

LOL

Don't know. My daughter takes away my paints before I get them all done.

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
« Reply #2765 on: 09/19/2018 08:11 PM »
I actually did study photojournalism in college and got very hungry learning that there are about six people who actually make money doing it. Most of those worked for National Geographic at the time. I finally went back to school and learned how to wear a tie but I've always tried to  keep my skills up. Think he might be impressed with hundreds of college bikini-girls from the early 80's and ten thousand very well composed photos of my family? I can work on computers and clean toilets during the flight too. If they launch by 2023 I'll only be 60 and I like dogs. My wife says I can go. I think she really wants me to.  ::)

Not sure about the photos, although MZ might find early 80's swimsuit fashions to be of interest.
It's great you have your wife's support. (I think)

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7736
  • Likes Given: 5638
« Reply #2766 on: 09/19/2018 08:16 PM »
My wife says I can go. I think she really wants me to.  ::)
That one may or may not be a keeper.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 363
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2767 on: 09/20/2018 02:59 AM »
I’m just counting on being able to refer to my random banging on pots and pans using wooden spoons as abstract music and my random splashes and slashes with a paint brush as abstract painting and get picked for my out-there creativity.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1900
  • Likes Given: 4473
« Reply #2768 on: 09/20/2018 06:26 AM »
I wonder why they “kind of have to” add more engines later.
Laymans guess: could be tied to why they are now saying "100+ tons" instead of "150 tons".. maybe they are not hitting the performance they were designing for in this first iteration.

As one specific example, I wondered how this drop from 150 to "100+" would affect the target of being able to perform all F9 and FH missions. You need huge margins to be able to do what an expendable FH does, while remaining reusable, without refueling.

Actually, it just occurred to me, maybe this drop in performance could actually be a preparation to exceed the 150 ton figure. They did increase the volume after all. What if they had decided to oversize the upper stage, even though this would drop performance in the short term, so that more iterative performance could be delivered later while not making any future radical changes to the very difficult upper stage.

Isn't Elon just referencing Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy here?  31+11 = 42 engines.  If he's going to name his Mars ship Heart of Gold, that's why he has to add more engines to make it 42.  It's not a technical reason, it's an Elon reason.
After Mr Musk showed the Raptor engine test and praised the SpaceX propulsion team, he said this:

"I don't think most people, even in the aerospace industry, like, know what question to ask, like it took us a long time to even frame the question correctly.  Look, once we could frame the question correctly, the answer was, I wouldn't say easy, but, the answer flowed once the question could be framed with precision. Framing that question with precision was very difficult."

More Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy references.  Elon's comment about the difficulty in framing the question also fits very well in this context.   ;) 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 647
  • Likes Given: 1449
« Reply #2769 on: 09/21/2018 03:20 PM »
If you left your car in the parking lot for months during the freezing winter, and you suddenly go out and open the door, it might not open perfectly easily.
If I was leaving my car outside in winter for months, I'd put a cover on it.
Putting dust covers over critical hinges, seals, fittings doesn't seem too difficult.  Especially with people there to do it.

So you're saying the BFS could be the long pole in the tent?
Ha. :)

Offline Draggendrop

• Canada
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 117
Revision 2, Dragon 2      mmm...   R2D2

....(awkward silence)....I'll find my way out.....

Offline Heinrich

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #2771 on: 09/21/2018 11:49 PM »
Watching the new physics sim of the BFS entry when the wife says, "Is that a drone?"
 "No it's the BFS",  I reply.
 "Best Friend Sometimes", is her retort.

which goes with the "Best Friend Before" to make the "Best Friend Rarely".

(Also: hang on to that one, she's a keeper. But you know that.)

Every now end then it gets together with the BFB. But after the 'fireworks' the BFB returns home.

Best Friend with Benefits.

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #2772 on: 09/26/2018 01:41 AM »
But Blue Origin today has ~1600 people on staff.

Yup, they're even more top-heavy than NASA.

You really don't see a problem with a launch company that has 1600 staff and hasn't launched a damn thing?

It all makes sense .....
« Last Edit: 09/26/2018 01:43 AM by Tomness »

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #2773 on: 09/26/2018 02:16 AM »
The news story does seem to match the disclosure form (at least according to Google Translate, I don't read Hebrew).

https://maya.tase.co.il/reports/details/1185436/1/0

Google Translate:
Re: Immediate Report Nature of the Event: Agreements for the Acquisition and Launch of the Amos 8 Satellite - Update Further to the Company's reports regarding its undertaking to purchase the Amos 8 satellite from SPACE, the Company updates that the last date for payment and updating of the Loral Systems / By the Company, which applies today, will not be extended and therefore, the agreement will not take effect and will be canceled. In addition, following the cancellation of the agreement with Loreal, the company notified SpaceX of the cancellation of the launch agreement. Pursuant to the provisions of the agreement, the Company is entitled to reimbursement of the amounts paid to SpaceX by the Amos 28 satellite for the Amos 8 launch, with the exception of an agreed upon amount of SpaceX. As reported in the past, the Company is working to optimize the Amos 8 satellite program, and examines the feasibility and feasibility of several alternatives, including the possibility of cooperation with the Government of Israel.
If they launch with any launcher other than SpaceX they WILL need L'oreal ... to put lipstick on that pig. :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Swedish chef

• Sweden
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #2774 on: 09/27/2018 09:52 PM »
Is it possible to extradite from Mars? Asking for a friend.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #2775 on: 09/27/2018 10:53 PM »
You'll have to petition the Elon of Mars to get your friend extradited, I expect.

Oh wait... you want to know if your friend will be safe from extradition? If the crime is just mopery and dopery of the spaceways, probably. Better call Saul.

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
  • Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 1908
« Reply #2776 on: 09/29/2018 12:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1045800522136018949

And hopefully in 10 years time... Sept 28, 2028...
We can get a group photo of Falcon 1, Falcon 9, and the first BFS back from landing on the Moon or even Mars...  8)

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #2777 on: 09/30/2018 03:51 PM »
Boca Chica will be particularly expensive. Every launch attempt, including scrubs, will be charged one six pack of Shiner Bock delivered to all permanent residences within two miles of the pad.

It'll be dirt-cheap then given that half of the time you are not actually there. ;)
He said residenCES not residenTS ... but where can you leave beer so it doesn't taste worse after sitting out a while and also safe from theft?

...good thing he didn't say Bud light.. .nothing can make that taste worse, and no one would steal it[1].

1 - yeah I am a beer snob. Grand Rapids has some of the most amazing breweries on the planet.

Online randomly

• Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2778 on: 09/30/2018 04:26 PM »
Blasphemy!
Bud Light is the beer of choice for those who chose to litter!

Offline TripD

• Waiting for longer boats
  • Liked: 518
  • Likes Given: 375
« Reply #2779 on: 09/30/2018 11:46 PM »
I can occasionally smell the hops from the Sierra Nevada Brewery here.  I can remember when it actually was a micro brewery.  :-[

Tags: