Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 395069 times)

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 782
  • Likes Given: 72
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #2360 on: 04/18/2018 11:46 PM »
So, now we have to wait for Star Wars Day for Lil' Bangy?  ;D  (May the 4th be with Bangabandhu.)

Offline Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 389
  • Likes Given: 997
« Reply #2361 on: 04/18/2018 11:48 PM »
Great launch, congrats SpaceX, and very interesting to see a different flight profile to boost to an inclined orbit off the equator.  I'm really excited to see what TESS comes up with, and I hope it generates some excitement outside the usual enthusiasts too.
Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #2362 on: 04/19/2018 12:00 AM »
Well done SpaceX!
Recovering astronomer

Offline Skamp_X

• Belgium
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2363 on: 04/19/2018 12:35 AM »
Damn I missed a successful launch and landing on a drone ship , o well, ill watch the next one.
Looking forward to Tess results.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2635
  • Likes Given: 6727
« Reply #2364 on: 04/19/2018 12:36 AM »
Congratulations to NASA, Goddard, MIT and SpaceX on the successful launch and deploy of TESS. Don't forget to smile during her fly-by of Earth in mid-May! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 797
« Reply #2365 on: 04/19/2018 04:31 AM »
Congrats to SpaceX and NASA!

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2190
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #2366 on: 04/19/2018 05:09 AM »
I love that landings are so routine that the article on NSF about it not only doesn't mention the fact that the first stage landed in the headline, it doesn't even mention it until the 12th paragraph.

I also love the fact that there are several more flights manifested for block 4 boosters but the last new block 4 booster has already flown.

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #2367 on: 04/19/2018 08:34 AM »
Being at LC-39 Gantry was a very uplifting experience for the TESS launch. Prior to the launch, by show of hands, most people were there to see their first launch. It was clear, though that these were not casual observers. I listened to several parents, parents with accents from all over the world, filling their kids in on the purpose of TESS and how historic it's mission will be. The kids seem to get it, and were excited.The launch was picture perfect. People were surprised by the sun-like brilliance of the launch plume. The rocket was hard to look at without sunglasses. And then sound hit! Many parents brought ear protection for their children, and it was probably a good idea. The winds were favorable for the sound to travel directly towards the Observation Gantry, and it was loud!.
There were gasps and worry as the rocket reached a vapor trail forming level of the upper atmosphere and started leaving a thick trail in an otherwise nearly cloudless sky. And relief, as the mission continued despite leaving the twisty trail of vapor in the sky.
For an experience that effectively lasts about two minutes, I'm sure most people there felt like me. Just being there to experience a launch with a group of enthusiastic, like-minded people from all over the world, was well worth the hassles and cost of getting tickets to this viewing site, just 3.4 miles from SLC-40.

Congratulations SpaceX on another smooth launch. Congtatulation to NASA, and the many people who built TESS!, And thanks to the Air Force, and the FAA, who have stepped up their game to support the increasing pace of launches. Congratulations to all the enthusiasts out there, and here on NSF! Today was a good day.

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #2368 on: 04/19/2018 01:29 PM »
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 675
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #2369 on: 04/19/2018 01:44 PM »
Congratulations SpaceX and NASA.

Next up Block 5!
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline niwax

• Germany
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2370 on: 04/19/2018 02:59 PM »
Not only did they do a perfect landing, it's great to see the next launch listed as in 14 days.

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #2371 on: 04/20/2018 01:03 PM »
*riiing...  riiinnnng*

"D'Urbaville Residence"

'...........'

"She's WHERE?!?!"

'..........'

"HONEY, your daughter has apparently gone on a world tour."
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6838
  • Likes Given: 4618
« Reply #2372 on: 04/20/2018 03:49 PM »
SpaceX has released an updated press kit. Launch time and mission timeline have been adjusted.
Would that be a TESSkit?

...I'll show myself out.
Incorrigible punster. Do not incorrige.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Mongo62

• Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #2373 on: 04/20/2018 10:43 PM »
Has anybody made a TESSLA joke yet?

After the FH-Tesla launch, the options are obvious.
« Last Edit: 04/20/2018 10:45 PM by Mongo62 »

Offline CJ

• Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #2374 on: 04/21/2018 08:48 AM »
Okay, it looks like Spacex is going to try to recover 2nd stages (with party balloons!). Let's assume they succeed. Let's also assume they succeed in recovering fairings.

What's left before the F9 is fully reusable? The Dragon nosecone, but Dragon 2 looks like it doesn't jettison the nosecone, so that will be solved.

I think all that's left is the MVAC engine bell stiffner ring? Is that going to be the roadblock to full reusability? There's gotta be a way!
Clearly, what's needed is some Rube Goldberg engineering! Could they buy a military surplus AWACS plane to track it, and a deep-sea submersible to retrieve it? Or deploy a few square miles of Aerogel to catch it? 

Hrmmm. Shuttle used to cover its RCS nozzles with butcher paper while on the pad, and they'd come off during liftoff. Does F9 do the same? If so, there's another reuse engineering target!

Online ZachS09

« Reply #2375 on: 04/21/2018 02:19 PM »
Okay, it looks like Spacex is going to try to recover 2nd stages (with party balloons!). Let's assume they succeed. Let's also assume they succeed in recovering fairings.

What's left before the F9 is fully reusable? The Dragon nosecone, but Dragon 2 looks like it doesn't jettison the nosecone, so that will be solved.

I think all that's left is the MVAC engine bell stiffner ring? Is that going to be the roadblock to full reusability? There's gotta be a way!
Clearly, what's needed is some Rube Goldberg engineering! Could they buy a military surplus AWACS plane to track it, and a deep-sea submersible to retrieve it? Or deploy a few square miles of Aerogel to catch it? 

Hrmmm. Shuttle used to cover its RCS nozzles with butcher paper while on the pad, and they'd come off during liftoff. Does F9 do the same? If so, there's another reuse engineering target!

Okay. That's going a bit too far, CJ. Why would SpaceX consider reusing the MVac nozzle stiffener or the Dragon nose cone?
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6838
  • Likes Given: 4618
« Reply #2376 on: 04/21/2018 02:24 PM »
Okay. That's going a bit too far, CJ. Why would SpaceX consider reusing the MVac nozzle stiffener or the Dragon nose cone?
You may have missed where you are?

Speaking of missing things, I missed this when it first came out.

On-Orbit Status 04-03-2018:

Video Channels Image Quality Yesterday, ground teams noticed Downlink (DL) channels 5 and 6 appeared to be pixelated and grainy.  The images looked Picasso-like or psychedelic.    A video channel reset cleared the images.   Ground teams are investigating the anomalous signature.   

Check for monoliths.
« Last Edit: 04/21/2018 02:59 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #2377 on: 04/21/2018 04:34 PM »

Actually, it sounds like the Dragon nosecones are self-recovering already.  Didn't one wash up on an island off Britain recently?  They don't need to spend any money there, just send out 'Steviepuff Jr.' to catch it.  Hmm... maybe they should go Scaled Composites one better and have rib-stiffened feathering deploy out the back...  of course 'Steviepuff, Jr.' would then have to replace the net with a racket.

Hey, that keeps in line with earlier posts about SpaceX fielding a soccer team... their maritime component could take up Badminton! :)
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1777
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #2378 on: 04/21/2018 11:31 PM »

Well, per some notes after the TESS launch, rather similar to the covers on the Shuttle RCS nozzles, there appear to be Tyvek covers over pressure equalization vent holes in the landing leg structures.  These get pulled off the bird, at least by design, when a snag-wire is grabbed by a hook or somesuch as the bird lifts away from the pad.  They will also apparently blow off easily when pressure differential becomes great enough.

I don't believe I've ever seen anything that states with any certainty that these Tyvek covers are recovered and re-used.  So, there's a fat opportunity... ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline octavo

• Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #2379 on: 04/22/2018 07:45 AM »
I have some bad news that the main stream media refuses to cover.

Ever since SpaceX started reusing rockets, I've noticed that several of the lab mice that I regularly expose to carcinogens, have developed cancer!!!

This clear and unmistakable link between cancer in lab mice and rocket reusability has not been adequately funded. If anyone here would like to help further fund my studies into these effects, please private message me your credit card details.

Tags: