Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 486839 times)

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #180 on: 04/02/2017 11:30 PM »
Totally off topic...

Whats the difference between LARS and LARS-J.
This is the first time I noticed you were different people.
You both seem very knowledgeable.

He's LAR (not Lars). :) Not the same person. He is a mod, I am not. I'm an armchair opiniator shouting at windmills.  ;)
But both are seemingly very into LEGOs.

Edit: and why wouldn't you be...LEGOs are awesome!
What are LEGOs? never heard of those things.

I, however think that LEGO elements are nifty, and LEGO sets are cool, and the LEGO company is pretty awesome. So's the owner.

Here's a pic of him, with MY model sitting on his desk after he built it from a kit I designed.

http://www.miltontrainworks.com/MTW/news/testimonial.php
Ok. I get that LEGO is all caps and that is the proper way to type the name. Is it singular always like fish and deer? Must you always refer a to piece of LEGO as a brick or element, not just a LEGO. If one piece can be called a LEGO, then would more than one be LEGOs with a small s because it isn't part of the name itself? It seems like they have developed their own grammar rules. If I had two Porsche cars (don't I wish) I would when referring to both of them say, Porsches. Same for Fords, Airbuses (now referring to planes of course).

Edit: clarity
« Last Edit: 04/02/2017 11:32 PM by cppetrie »

Offline Seamus

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #181 on: 04/02/2017 11:40 PM »
Not to be confused with the verb LEGGO, as in LEGGO my EGGO

Offline cppetrie

« Reply #182 on: 04/02/2017 11:43 PM »
Ok. I get that LEGO is all caps and that is the proper way to type the name. Is it singular always like fish and deer?
No, LEGO is adjective (in English language).
No way. It is a brand name and therefore a noun. While by no means the authoritative source of information in the universe, dictionary.com agrees with me on both points.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lego

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7498
  • Likes Given: 5263
« Reply #183 on: 04/02/2017 11:49 PM »
Ok. I get that LEGO is all caps and that is the proper way to type the name. Is it singular always like fish and deer?
No way. It is a brand name and therefore a noun. While by no means the authoritative source of information in the universe, dictionary.com agrees with me on both points.

Nope. All brand names are adjectives. Ford cars. Xerox copiers. Kleenex brand tissues. Dictionary.com is descriptivist and therefore wrong. :)

See also https://www.lego.com/en-us/legal/legal-notice/fair-play especially

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".Also, the trademark should appear in the same typeface as the surrounding text and should not be isolated or set apart from the surrounding text. In other words, the trademarks should not be emphasized or highlighted. Finally, the LEGO trademark should always appear with a symbol each time it is used.

And we're not going to have this argument here. I'm pretty easy going in general, but this is a hot button topic for me, a pet peeve if you will. A petty point not to cross the Powers that Be.    I actually have been known to edit people's posts if they get stubborn about it. Don't make me misuse my mod powers that way... Because I will.

Just drop it, you can't win.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2017 11:54 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline cppetrie

« Reply #184 on: 04/03/2017 12:07 AM »

Nope. All brand names are adjectives. Ford cars. Xerox copiers. Kleenex brand tissues. Dictionary.com is descriptivist and therefore wrong. :)

See also https://www.lego.com/en-us/legal/legal-notice/fair-play especially

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".Also, the trademark should appear in the same typeface as the surrounding text and should not be isolated or set apart from the surrounding text. In other words, the trademarks should not be emphasized or highlighted. Finally, the LEGO trademark should always appear with a symbol each time it is used.

And we're not going to have this argument here. I'm pretty easy going in general, but this is a hot button topic for me, a pet peeve if you will. A petty point not to cross the Powers that Be.    I actually have been known to edit people's posts if they get stubborn about it. Don't make me misuse my mod powers that way... Because I will.

I wasn't trying to start a war nor win anything nor cross anyone. My initial query was one of genuine interest. You are clearly very passionate and particular about this topic. I was attempting to understand. My apologies if I offended anyone or ruffled any feathers. It was not my intent. Thanks for the information. Consider it dropped.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #185 on: 04/03/2017 12:31 AM »
I wasn't trying to start a war nor win anything nor cross anyone. My initial query was one of genuine interest. You are clearly very passionate and particular about this topic. I was attempting to understand. My apologies if I offended anyone or ruffled any feathers. It was not my intent. Thanks for the information. Consider it dropped.

No worries, it's actually kind of a running joke, the regulars[1] here say "legos" because they like to spin me up. I think it's more amusing than anything else. Ms. Soccer Mom is going to call them "legos" for the rest of her life..... and there isn't anything I can do about it. :)

1 - some of them. You know who you are. So do I.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3652
  • Likes Given: 2251
« Reply #186 on: 04/03/2017 12:50 AM »
Totally off topic...

Whats the difference between LARS and LARS-J.
This is the first time I noticed you were different people.
You both seem very knowledgeable.

Who is LARS ???

I am Lar (short for Larry) I'm a mod. And not that knowledgable. I just act like I am, and get shot down a lot.
Lars-J is some other guy, not a mod, but smarter than me.  However, I have more LEGO elements and sets than he does. so there's that. But he has a cool avatar...  (Benny is cool... but the shuttle sets are cooler)

Hey... I've got a lot of LEGO sets too you know! Sadly my mom got rid of all my old ones - including the classic LEGO space sets (my fav which I got in ... '82?, see image) - when I moved out. For a while I gave a lot of sets to my kids. Although my son now has lost interest in them. But hopefully he'll rediscover the fun in the future like I did.  :)

And no, I'm not smart. My uppity kids tell me so!  ;D
« Last Edit: 04/03/2017 12:56 AM by Lars-J »

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 503
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #187 on: 04/03/2017 12:59 AM »
So, there is no LARS only LAR elements?  ???

Offline Geron

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #188 on: 04/03/2017 01:15 AM »
Oh man I come here to read about SpaceX and I got all excited there were new posts and then I find pages of nonsense about trademarks being adjectives. I'm so disappointed in everyone involved.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 516
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #189 on: 04/03/2017 07:15 AM »
Party's at that awkward winding-down stage.  Time to find another party!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #190 on: 04/03/2017 02:07 PM »
Party's at that awkward winding-down stage.  Time to find another party!
It's all the talk about moderator elements that is killing the buzz....
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1295
  • Likes Given: 1686
« Reply #191 on: 04/03/2017 02:09 PM »
Shouldn't it be "LEGO elements?"
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 782
  • Likes Given: 977
« Reply #192 on: 04/03/2017 02:18 PM »
From the watch party of the recovery thread waiting on the return of the fairing...
Pictures of the recovered fairing being returned to port now on the ASDS support ship activities thread:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38111.0

Fairing is under a large tarpaulin but there are some glimpes around the edges.
The first of those photos shows what looks like some obvious tearing around the edges of what would be be fairing half separation plane. Not sure if that's repairable type damage in the context of reuse someday or not. Still an impressive feat to recover something so large essential intact.

remember, bouncy castles... no fairings should touch salt water... etc. This is a pathfinder, not the real deal. AFRS[1] comes next...

If this is tearing it could either be due to impact, wave action, or water intrusion into the honeycomb, or even damage trying to lift a large awkward item onto the aft deck... Bouncy castle obviates all that (but needs an AFRS[1]  unless they've REALLY increased precision of parafoil steering)

1 - Automated Fairing Recovery Ship, you heard it from me first :) but it's a logical acronym choice.

Introducing The Bouncy Castle, Automated Fairing Recovery (Air) Ship...
« Last Edit: 04/03/2017 02:20 PM by CraigLieb »
Colonize Mars!

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #193 on: 04/03/2017 02:54 PM »
Could we just LEGO these silly argument,
Rather LEGO to the nearest pub and down a pint or two for the E.S.S. Habit.
(Elon Space Ship, named for its habit of flying off just to return to the nest)

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #194 on: 04/03/2017 03:35 PM »
Ooof bad puns, I'm going to have to block that out of my memory

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 782
  • Likes Given: 977
« Reply #195 on: 04/03/2017 03:50 PM »
So Elon has been quoted as saying the FH demo cargo will possibly be silly. I have read proposals in the threads for sending a Bus, a large inflatable pig (250 meter), a model S Tesla, a not so silly Dragon capsule around the moon, and a large amount of cheese.

This seems ripe for a discussion, but since it's silly, maybe should be confined to the party thread.   if the choices were fewer, a survey might make sense. But with an open ended question, maybe propose your best (worst) idea and people can vote with Likes.

I vote for sending the Bus with the cowboy in the driver's seat.

OH and you can like more than one option since this isn't a real vote...
« Last Edit: 04/03/2017 04:07 PM by CraigLieb »
Colonize Mars!

Offline mikelepage

« Reply #196 on: 04/03/2017 04:04 PM »
Going with the theme of inflatable farm animals, I believe sending a large inflatable cow around the moon would serve many purposes, all noble.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #197 on: 04/03/2017 05:27 PM »
Remember that voting with likes requires patience, there is a 120 second delay between likes (we throttled this on purpose for good and valid reasons and my pleading to lift the throttle has fell on deaf ears :) ).

My suggestion for a silly thing? An impactor that has four subimpactors, that form the SpaceX logo with carbon black as they shoot out in 4 different directions... (to get the swoosh right, one of them has to have some steering jets...)  Visible via telescope.

DD Harriman would be proud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delos_D._Harriman

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #198 on: 04/03/2017 06:00 PM »
from SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4

I don't see a copyright problem.  There is no chance that consumers will mistake a 42-engine heavy lift launch vehicle for an amphibious megalizard which shoots radioactive rays from it's mouth.

Dude clearly doesn't work in customer service...

Offline kch

• Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 8815
« Reply #199 on: 04/03/2017 07:04 PM »
Going with the theme of inflatable farm animals, I believe sending a large inflatable cow around the moon would serve many purposes, all noble.

A cow would be noble at all ... just don't forget the aerobraking (or should that be aero-baking?) thing on the way back.  ;)

Tags: