Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 189305 times)

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #1320 on: 12/03/2017 04:55 PM »
If the Roadster is confirmed, we need a thread about other things that ought to be included with it.
Fuzzy dice, like Dream Chaser and any good, fun car.
Obvious passenger - buster

Sunglasses!

"We're 67 miles from orbit.  Its night and we're wearing sunglasses.  Punch it."

8)
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline dodo

• Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1321 on: 12/03/2017 06:30 PM »
Can't wait to see, after multiple orbits around the sun, a Roadster falling off the sky in season 3 of The Expanse.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #1322 on: 12/03/2017 06:56 PM »
I can see at some point in the future, someone one attempting to retrieve said car in order to put it in the Smithsonian.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline CJ

• Liked: 564
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #1323 on: 12/03/2017 07:32 PM »
Okay, so, there's some controversy as to whether Musk was serious regarding putting his Tesla Roadster about FH and sending it toward Mars.

I recall Musk tweeting, humorously, that he was frustrated about being stuck in traffic, so he was going to build a tunneling machine and start digging. And he'd call the new outfit "the boring company.". And we all knew he was joking... right? I mean, if he wasn't joking, there would be a boring company by now, and it would be digging. Ummm... oh.

He also said his new Tesla truck transforms into a robot to fight aliens, and makes one hell of a latte. Er, has anyone actually disproven this claim, or are we just assuming humor, like we did with "The boring company"? I need to know because I really crave a good latte right now... 

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB/Mesquite, NV
  • Liked: 61
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1324 on: 12/03/2017 07:35 PM »
Anyone else buy their lottery ticket hat?

Quote from: Elon Musk
Every 5000th buyer of our boringly boring hat will get a free hat signed by the delivery guy

That special hat delivery will take place deep within the real, but fictional (of course), tunnel we are building under LA while you drive the giant machine blindfolded. This will actually happen.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/937402084692975616
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/937411489635241984
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT)

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 681
  • Likes Given: 769
« Reply #1325 on: 12/04/2017 03:12 AM »
I hear that the Grasshopper cowboy is willing to come out of retirement to pilot the TeslaX.
His name is buster
Colonize Mars!

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #1326 on: 12/05/2017 02:30 AM »
I am ashamed to say, I did not know that.  :o

Offline aero

• Liked: 724
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #1327 on: 12/05/2017 02:48 PM »
This morning I had a fun thought experiment - unfortunately, I don't have the answer. The thought goes like this:

Assume that Elon Musk created Tesla for the sole purpose of building his electric Roadster so that he could launch it into Mars orbit, then further assume that he created SpaceX for the sole purpose of launching his Roadster into Mars Orbit. (I know that Elon had/has other motivations!)

Under the above assumptions, how does the cost of a Roadster in Mars orbit compare to the cost of "... a man on the moon and returning him safely before the decade is out..." That is, how does the cost of Falcon Heavy demo mission compare to the cost of the Apollo program?

This is just for fun so don't forget to inflate 1960 dollars to twenty-first-century dollars.
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline CorvusCorax

• Germany
  • Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #1328 on: 12/05/2017 09:51 PM »
This morning I had a fun thought experiment - unfortunately, I don't have the answer. The thought goes like this:

Assume that Elon Musk created Tesla for the sole purpose of building his electric Roadster so that he could launch it into Mars orbit, then further assume that he created SpaceX for the sole purpose of launching his Roadster into Mars Orbit. (I know that Elon had/has other motivations!)

Under the above assumptions, how does the cost of a Roadster in Mars orbit compare to the cost of "... a man on the moon and returning him safely before the decade is out..." That is, how does the cost of Falcon Heavy demo mission compare to the cost of the Apollo program?

This is just for fun so don't forget to inflate 1960 dollars to twenty-first-century dollars.

It's hard to calculate that.

Had Tesla designed the roadster with the only goal of shooting one to mars, they probably could have done that with one of the early prototypes which were modified Lotus Elise with an electric drive train. The car went through a lot of development cycles to get to the low scale mass production version that was produced from 2008 to 2012

The first real prototype had a 7.5 million $ funding round in 2004 according to

http://www.businessinsider.de/tesla-the-origin-story-2014-10?r=US&IR=T

Then another $13 million in 2005 for further development.

in 2006 the roadster was unveiled in its proposed for production setting and people could testdrive it.

So this is definitely the car that could have gone to mars, cost $ 20.5 million + one red paintjob

but it could have been cheaper if it had just been in order to send it to mars and not also make the money to fund model S

then there's the Falcon Heavy.

I think all the Falcon 1 development would have needed to happen in pretty much the same way.

the F9 too, since its needed for the 3 core version

from Wikipedia:
"In 2011, SpaceX estimated that Falcon 9 v1.0 development costs were on the order of $300 million"
"The total development cost of Falcon 1 was approximately US$90 million."

Reuseability has been quoted as having cost 1 billion, but that's not necessary for a 1 off mars mission, only for SpaceX future mars plans beyond the roadster gig, I wouldn't include it.

I couldn't find the source for Falcon Heavy development. It shares the same engines as F9, but it ended up significantly more difficult than just stripping 3 boosters together. Let's be conservative and estimate $ 500 million (to also include the thrust system evolution through M1D FT)

And last but not least the rocket needs to be built and launched so another $ 90 million for the launch.

Payload:
Development:  $ 20.5 Million
Production and Payload integration (including red paintjob): $ 0.5 Million

Rocket:
Development: $ 90+300+500 = 890 Million
Production and Launch: $ 90 Million

===================================
Total program cost: 1001 Million US $

Theres multiple different estimates for the Apollo program, but all of them are in excess of 100 Billion inflation corrected.

So flying the Roadster towards Mars happens for roughly 1% of the cost of the Apollo program.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2017 10:01 PM by CorvusCorax »

Offline Heinrich

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #1329 on: 12/05/2017 10:21 PM »
The point is to have Tony Bruno begging Boeing and Lockeed for priority funding to develop SMART reuse to compete with SpaceX, and his masters laughing off SpaceX without realizing what a powerhouse Elon's company is. Just because the experts know the truth, doesnt mean the people with the money believe it. Just look at Climate change.

Does Smart re-use involve launching a Smart car multiple times??? I'm confused now...

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2219
  • Likes Given: 5198
« Reply #1330 on: 12/06/2017 05:17 PM »

"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Offline bilboleo1

« Reply #1331 on: 12/06/2017 05:47 PM »
Brilliant!

?Syntax
  Error
Ready

Laughed the whole way through!! Thanks for the happy thoughts and good humor ;)
-SpaceX made the solar system a slightly smaller place tonight, but they also inspired the next generation of engineers to carry on mankinds exploration of space. What a great way to wrap up 2015. [Rifleman]

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 3046
  • Likes Given: 1016
« Reply #1332 on: 12/06/2017 07:27 PM »
Static fire at LC-40 warrants a brief hurrah! Good to have the pad back in business  :D

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 902
  • Likes Given: 141
« Reply #1333 on: 12/06/2017 08:16 PM »
Glad to see Zuma getting officially back on the roster. Itís been so long they actually wrote a song about it...

John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline ZachS09

« Reply #1334 on: 12/06/2017 08:19 PM »
Glad to see Zuma getting officially back on the roster. Itís been so long they actually wrote a song about it...

Very creative, Johnnyhinbos.
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Offline toren

• Idaho, USA
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 147
« Reply #1335 on: 12/08/2017 05:11 PM »
If the Roadster is confirmed, we need a thread about other things that ought to be included with it.
Fuzzy dice, like Dream Chaser and any good, fun car.

A towel.

Ha!

A further, but very important, payload detail:

Will the glove box contain "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"?
https://twitter.com/tiamaria68uk/status/938930620511801345

Yes
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/938947119246860290

Plus a towel and a sign saying ďDonít PanicĒ
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/938947119246860290

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 681
  • Likes Given: 769
« Reply #1336 on: 12/08/2017 09:01 PM »
Imagine in about 100M years, some alien civilization finds the solar system. ...
 And the aliens find the book in the glove box. Of course, they dont know its a glove box but they find the book there. And they reverse engineer the human culture from that book if its not turned to dust. Ohh dear ohh dear, the misinterpretations!
The obvious conclusion would be this is the most important book of our civilization. After all, why go to the trouble to launch it in a sealed monument to preserve/entomb it.. The book could be considered possibly the primary religious philosophy of the planet. Making Marvin the paranoid android our deity (brain the size of the planet, lives forever, etc.)
Placing this response in the party thread.
Colonize Mars!

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #1337 on: 12/09/2017 01:21 AM »
Here is an Elon quote from the Twittersphere:  Why is there no Flat Mars Society!?

To Elon. 

I still have a few kinks to work out on  my flat Mars theory.  If I can bum a ride to Mars for hands on testing I would be in a position to give a full lecture on my findings for the first FMS meeting.

Sincerely,

Alan

Offline toren

• Idaho, USA
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 147
« Reply #1338 on: 12/09/2017 04:04 AM »
Imagine in about 100M years, some alien civilization finds the solar system. ...
 And the aliens find the book in the glove box. Of course, they dont know its a glove box but they find the book there. And they reverse engineer the human culture from that book if its not turned to dust. Ohh dear ohh dear, the misinterpretations!
The obvious conclusion would be this is the most important book of our civilization. After all, why go to the trouble to launch it in a sealed monument to preserve/entomb it.. The book could be considered possibly the primary religious philosophy of the planet. Making Marvin the paranoid android our deity (brain the size of the planet, lives forever, etc.)

If you ponder which of all the various science fiction futures we might actually be living in, and then that we have a guy who made his money letting people running garage sales online, firing his electric powered sports car toy into a circum-solar orbit using the world's most powerful rocket, as a joke / PR stunt - there's a pretty good argument that Douglas Adams came about as close as anyone.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #1339 on: 12/09/2017 10:16 AM »

If you ponder which of all the various science fiction futures we might actually be living in, and then that we have a guy who made his money letting people running garage sales online, firing his electric powered sports car toy into a circum-solar orbit using the world's most powerful rocket, as a joke / PR stunt - there's a pretty good argument that Douglas Adams came about as close as anyone.

Especially since the first crewed BFS landing on Mars will be the "Heart of Gold" as proclaim by the SX CTO on twitter.  8)

Tags: