Author Topic: SpaceX 'Roomba' (Rocket Grabbing Robot) - Updates and Discussion  (Read 159484 times)

Online Flying Beaver

Update and Discussion Thread for SpaceX's 'Roomba' Robot.

Which is in development for securing F9 first stages in place after landing on the Autonomous Spaceport Droneship, Of Course I Still Love You. Probably stems from the risk presented to crew by the 'walking booster' from the Thaicom-8 launch in 2016

First clear photo taken on 20/3/17 by Reddit user 'aftersteveo'.

Not used during most recent droneship landing, after the SES-10 launch on 31/3/17. First use wont be until June at the earliest (after NROL-76, Inmarsat 5-F4, and CRS-11).

Selection of highlight pictures from throughout the thread.
« Last Edit: 04/15/2017 11:41 PM by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Online Flying Beaver

Re: SpaceX Droneship 'Roomba' Envisioning
« Reply #1 on: 03/13/2017 01:26 AM »
Did some Roomba envisioning in Sketechup from the pics on the SpaceX Facebook group.

Assuming use of tank treads if using weight alone to secure the stage (can turn on a dime as well). Its a pretty basic model, but we'll see how it holds up to what actually will be deployed on OCISLY (soon!!).

Picture from Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208499692436598&set=p.10208499692436598&type=3&theater

Edit: Looking back now, after all the actual images have come out, it seems I got really close to the actual design. Really chuffed about that  :D
« Last Edit: 04/15/2017 11:42 PM by Flying Beaver »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7808
  • Likes Given: 5205
« Reply #2 on: 03/13/2017 01:40 AM »
Please post the pics from Facebook or at least link to them here.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 564
« Reply #3 on: 03/13/2017 01:57 AM »
Looked at the Facebook fan page, here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208499471591077&set=gm.10155181297956318&type=3&theater

And here are some screen grabs for the non FB users.

Enjoy, Matthew.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 643
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #4 on: 03/13/2017 02:02 AM »
I wonder how they'll test this thing, will we see a used stage loaded back to ASDS as test target?

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 564
« Reply #5 on: 03/13/2017 02:20 AM »
I wonder how they'll test this thing, will we see a used stage loaded back to ASDS as test target?

Might it be cheaper to build a test rig for it to grab?

Matthew

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 2665
« Reply #6 on: 03/13/2017 02:20 AM »

I imagine it's already been tested before putting it on ASDS, but I'd like to know how and where  :)

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 432
« Reply #7 on: 03/13/2017 09:23 AM »
Do I get a prize for first Roomba prediction? Although I was going down the welder route, not jack stand.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29457.msg1477632#msg1477632
Waiting for joy and raptor

Offline FishInferno

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #8 on: 03/13/2017 10:11 AM »

After the next ASDS landing, they could put the Roomba on once the rocket is in port, before it's unloaded.
Comparing SpaceX and SLS is like comparing paying people to plant fruit trees with merely digging holes and filling them.  - Robotbeat

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 562
  • Likes Given: 439
« Reply #9 on: 03/13/2017 12:51 PM »

After the next ASDS landing, they could put the Roomba on once the rocket is in port, before it's unloaded.
After they've hooked the rocket to the crane, and after they've removed the usual set of chains securing the rocket.
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #10 on: 03/13/2017 10:34 PM »
I imagine it's already been tested before putting it on ASDS, but I'd like to know how and where  :)

I haven't been following, what's the date stamp on the construction pictures?  They had a landed booster in a safe and private location less than a month ago.

Offline IainMcClatchie

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 298
« Reply #11 on: 03/14/2017 03:07 AM »
Did SpaceX say they were doing this?

Online Flying Beaver

« Reply #12 on: 03/14/2017 03:29 AM »
Did SpaceX say they were doing this?

Nope! Nothing official, just some juicy rumors and spottings in the wild.

Also from the current state judging from the pictures i'd say that it won't be ready in time for SES-10.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 568
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: 03/14/2017 04:01 AM »
Where was the fundamental need for this? Or are they just accessorizing?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7808
  • Likes Given: 5205
« Reply #14 on: 03/14/2017 04:33 AM »
Safety, labor, and turnaround time. Right now they need people to board the ASDS in the middle of the Atlantic then walk up to a huge landed rocket that could be shifting a bit as the ASDS tilts in the waves and tie down the stage to the barge surface, possibly putting a bunch of cables and winches and/or welding on stuff to properly secure the stage. That then needs to be removed once in port.

A roomba thing that can secure the stage robotically would be WAY safer and probably less labor intensive, too. And maybe faster, which would be safer for the stage, too.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #15 on: 03/14/2017 11:27 AM »
Safety, labor, and turnaround time. Right now they need people to board the ASDS in the middle of the Atlantic then walk up to a huge landed rocket that could be shifting a bit as the ASDS tilts in the waves and tie down the stage to the barge surface, possibly putting a bunch of cables and winches and/or welding on stuff to properly secure the stage. That then needs to be removed once in port.

A roomba thing that can secure the stage robotically would be WAY safer and probably less labor intensive, too. And maybe faster, which would be safer for the stage, too.

So this concept has taken on a life of its own here and on the SpX social media fan sites. Is this based on real insider info or is just collective navel-gazing, with each site pointing to the other fan sites for blurry photos and imagined concepts as "support"?

(But more generally - more jobs for robots mean fewer good-paying jobs for ocean going heavy labor deck hands. When we wonder why our economy is full of 30 hr/week minimum wage jobs, this is a microcosm of the situation. But I digress ...)
« Last Edit: 03/14/2017 11:27 AM by Herb Schaltegger »
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 530
  • Likes Given: 461
SpaceX Droneship 'Roomba' Envisioning
« Reply #16 on: 03/14/2017 11:32 AM »

So this concept has taken on a life of its own here and on the SpX social media fan sites. Is this based on real insider info or is just collective navel-gazing, with each site pointing to the other fan sites for blurry photos and imagined concepts as "support"?

FWIW, a SpaceX employee on Reddit recently called it "Optimus Prime."
« Last Edit: 03/14/2017 11:32 AM by old_sellsword »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6833
  • Likes Given: 4611
« Reply #17 on: 03/14/2017 11:48 AM »
Do I get a prize for first Roomba prediction? Although I was going down the welder route, not jack stand.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29457.msg1477632#msg1477632

Welders don't count unless you're just looking for "wouldn't it be cool if they used robots to help with general rockety stuff" credit, which I think was first mentioned by the writers in Forbidden Planet. Lost in Space for sure.

Also that render is awesome, we need to find out how close "the beev" came!!!!

You're not thinking ballsy enough, IMNSHO.

WE ALL have to wait and find out. I think we'll learn soon enough.

Mod hat mode:
(But more generally - more jobs for robots mean fewer good-paying jobs for ocean going heavy labor deck hands. When we wonder why our economy is full of 30 hr/week minimum wage jobs, this is a microcosm of the situation. But I digress ...)

Yes, you did digress. Don't do that. Space Policy if you think it fits (dubious), or general anti bot ranting to your own personal blog/Facebook please.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2017 11:53 AM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline 00reidlewis00

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: 03/14/2017 03:52 PM »
Beautiful visualizations, Flying Beaver!

Looking at them makes me think that there's a need for outriggers that are as wide as the landing legs to match or exceed the stability provided by the wide stance of those legs.

Perhaps the roomba can have clamps that fasten to the ASDS deck just as you've shown clamps fastening to the points where the legs attach to the booster.

Regardless, the concept for this machine demonstrates again the continued opportunity to innovate for safety, speed and efficiency in the pursuit of re-usability and lowering the cost of spaceflight.

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #19 on: 03/14/2017 04:46 PM »
Very nice invention, we still do not know if this is for real, but to make space travel affordable one step is reuse, the other is reuse quickly. If the use of this mechanized solution allows to use less personnel at sea and get to port faster, and once there move the rocket to land again with less personnel and faster, it's a big win for space exploration!!!

Tags: