Author Topic: NSTP-Sat: more NRO surplus going to NASA  (Read 10036 times)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
Re: NSTP-Sat: more NRO surplus going to NASA
« Reply #40 on: 03/07/2017 02:38 PM »
Don't forget DMSP-5D2 20. While ideally the DOD should find the money to fly it, if it becomes surplus it is an ideal platform for earth science or even weather sciences...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #41 on: 03/07/2017 03:16 PM »
Don't forget DMSP-5D2 20. While ideally the DOD should find the money to fly it, if it becomes surplus it is an ideal platform for earth science or even weather sciences...

except, that the DMSP platform is somewhat prone to disintegrate in orbit...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 03/07/2017 03:22 PM »

except, that the DMSP platform is somewhat prone to disintegrate in orbit...
I thought the battery charging module had been corrected on the newer models.

Honestly, anything that goes to an orbit over a couple of hundred km should have an end of life de-orbit plan. 
It's your med's!

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 592
« Reply #43 on: 03/07/2017 03:24 PM »
and its was ordered to be completely dismantled to prevent launch from ever occurring

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 03/07/2017 03:27 PM »
and its was ordered to be completely dismantled to prevent launch from ever occurring

IIRC, this order was cancelled and it is still in a flightworthy condition.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: 03/10/2017 07:45 PM »
After conferring with some people, I am now about 90% sure that the satellite being offered to NASA is the same one that we saw back in CBS news footage in 1998 as it was in the final stages of construction. I wrote about that satellite and how it was derived from the Intelsat VI series in this February 1999 article. PDF is attached, along with individual page scans.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 03/10/2017 10:20 PM »
After conferring with some people, I am now about 90% sure that the satellite being offered to NASA is the same one that we saw back in CBS news footage in 1998 as it was in the final stages of construction. I wrote about that satellite and how it was derived from the Intelsat VI series in this February 1999 article. PDF is attached, along with individual page scans.

Assuming, that the footage was recorded in 1998, it is very likely the same spacecraft. Except, if there are more than one surplus QUASARS of this series, which is IMHO not so likely.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1761
  • Likes Given: 183
NSTP-Sat: more NRO surplus going to NASA
« Reply #47 on: 03/11/2017 08:30 AM »
I've never seen that full Lacrosse image before, the version I've seen appears to be a edit of part of the full image you've included in the article.
« Last Edit: 03/11/2017 08:31 AM by Star One »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 03/11/2017 11:56 AM »
I've never seen that full Lacrosse image before, the version I've seen appears to be a edit of part of the full image you've included in the article.

I need to look at the chronology again to see when they released these things. What I remember happening was that CBS did a story and showed the satellites and NRO then released the footage as a "B-roll" that any news service could use. After that, I submitted a FOIA for still photos of the two satellites and in a very short time I received the photos, which I used in the article. Early on the images that were used online and in articles were screenshots, I was the one who got higher-quality still photos. Later, NRO put some of the still photos on their website.

Offline Star One

• UK
NSTP-Sat: more NRO surplus going to NASA
« Reply #49 on: 03/11/2017 12:48 PM »

I need to look at the chronology again to see when they released these things. What I remember happening was that CBS did a story and showed the satellites and NRO then released the footage as a "B-roll" that any news service could use. After that, I submitted a FOIA for still photos of the two satellites and in a very short time I received the photos, which I used in the article. Early on the images that were used online and in articles were screenshots, I was the one who got higher-quality still photos. Later, NRO put some of the still photos on their website.

The image I was thinking of is at the top of the Wikipedia article, you can see it's been cropped.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse_(satellite)

By the way is there any clue which Lacrosse that was it seems the design evolved over time according to stuff I've read.
« Last Edit: 03/11/2017 12:53 PM by Star One »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 03/11/2017 03:08 PM »
By the way is there any clue which Lacrosse that was it seems the design evolved over time according to stuff I've read.
Well, if the image was actually taken in 1998, you only have two candidates.

USA-152 launched in 2000 and USA-182 launched in 2005.

That said, USA-133 was launched in October of 1997. So it should of have been long gone from the clean room, unless the film was actually shot a year earlier.
It's your med's!

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #51 on: 03/11/2017 03:26 PM »
Well, if the image was actually taken in 1998, you only have two candidates.

USA-152 launched in 2000 and USA-182 launched in 2005.

That said, USA-133 was launched in October of 1997. So it should of have been long gone from the clean room, unless the film was actually shot a year earlier.

Sounds about right for USA-152. I am guessing the radar array is folded away in the picture and also on the side away from the camera as that's possible one of the most sensitive parts of the craft.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11063
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #52 on: 03/11/2017 05:30 PM »
Sounds about right for USA-152. I am guessing the radar array is folded away in the picture and also on the side away from the camera as that's possible one of the most sensitive parts of the craft.

How about not even installed  That is just the spacecraft bus.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #53 on: 03/12/2017 12:43 AM »

How about not even installed  That is just the spacecraft bus.

Well there was that option as well...

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #54 on: 03/14/2017 10:27 AM »
Mr Day's new article from The Space Review.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3195/1

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7297
  • Likes Given: 5094
« Reply #55 on: 03/14/2017 10:53 AM »
The bus has a despun platform.  What do you think kept the other antennas pointed at earth.

376 bus vs 389 bus.
Oh ya, I wrote an article about this in 1998 after I filed a FOIA to get pics, here ya go.
DMSP does/doesn't disintigrate in orbit
(19 other examples)

This is why I love this forum... the most amazing experts hang out here. All of you please don't stop being awesome, thank you.

now for a very non technical question, if the platform was despun and the sat has an 8 year life, and the bird possibly was used in molniya orbits with high radiation, those must be some amazing bearings... If it's not classified, are those bearings still available? or is this type of spin stabilized bird no longer ever used at all...  (Satellite parts are not LEGO elements and you can't just mix and match but I could see uses for spin stabilization)

And another one, assuming a PAM stage (whicn you need to spin it up after initial launch if I understood the above posts correctly) still existed in surplus, how many tens of millions to adapt it to a current launcher, (or if not, how much to build a new one!!!) or does ULA have adapters for Atlas 5 that already work.

Too bad that science directorate doesn't see how better data relay forwards science efforts and so wants only proposals that are for observation/data collection... On the other hand they may just be trying to protect their budget.
« Last Edit: 03/14/2017 10:54 AM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 03/14/2017 11:50 AM »
The bus has a despun platform.  What do you think kept the other antennas pointed at earth.

And another one, assuming a PAM stage (whicn you need to spin it up after initial launch if I understood the above posts correctly) still existed in surplus, how many tens of millions to adapt it to a current launcher, (or if not, how much to build a new one!!!) or does ULA have adapters for Atlas 5 that already work.

You do not need a PAM or any other perigee kick motor for this satellite, if you launch on an Atlas or Falcon, as these upper stages can put the satellite into a high elliptical orbit and spin it up.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 03/14/2017 02:29 PM »
now for a very non technical question, if the platform was despun and the sat has an 8 year life

One operated for 24 years.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3195/1

Tags: