Author Topic: Buran orbiters (Ptichka + OK4M) and Energia-M in amateur Baikonur video  (Read 5323 times)

Offline eeergo

Great video montage, and astonishing updated footage of the MZK building housing Ptichka (OK-1K2, the only remaining flight-worthy orbiter) and the OK-4M mockup. They later make their way into the Energia's vertical test building where the Energia-M mockup (?) is still stored.

« Last Edit: 07/11/2017 09:41 pm by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline IanThePineapple

Now I want to go there  :'(

Online ace5

• Scale model and 3-D modeler.
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 27
Ptichka ?

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 474
  • Likes Given: 996
Ptichka ?

"Birdie" I believe - this name was rumoured for the second orbiter planned to reach orbit.   I always wondered if it was a misunderstanding of simply calling the orbiters "birds".
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline B. Hendrickx

• Liked: 274
  • Likes Given: 10
Ptichka ?

"Birdie" I believe - this name was rumoured for the second orbiter planned to reach orbit.   I always wondered if it was a misunderstanding of simply calling the orbiters "birds".

"Ptichka" was a indeed nickname for Soviet orbiters in general and not the name of the second flight vehicle. This is a persistent myth that appears to be hard to eradicate. The second flight vehicle never got an official name.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 380
  • Likes Given: 465
That last shot seems to be the second Zenit pad, which was lost on October 4, 1990. Actually, the damage doesn't look that bad, probably you could buff some of that right out.

Offline eeergo

That last shot seems to be the second Zenit pad, which was lost on October 4, 1990. Actually, the damage doesn't look that bad, probably you could buff some of that right out.

That scene actually looks like a decomissioned (as in destroyed for treaty compliance) silo.
-DaviD-

Offline GClark

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 5
"Ptichka" was a indeed nickname for Soviet orbiters in general and not the name of the second flight vehicle. This is a persistent myth that appears to be hard to eradicate. The second flight vehicle never got an official name.

Somewhere along the way I managed to convince myself that OK 1.02 was (going to be) named Burya.  Not sure where that came from now.

Hmmm...

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 474
  • Likes Given: 996
Somewhere along the way I managed to convince myself that OK 1.02 was (going to be) named Burya.  Not sure where that came from now.
Hmmm...

I cannot remember the source but around the early 1990s, maybe even the late 1980s, I came across a suggestion that the orbiters would simply be Buran-1, Buran-2,etc.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 125
Hmmm...

I cannot remember the source but around the early 1990s, maybe even the late 1980s, I came across a suggestion that the orbiters would simply be Buran-1, Buran-2,etc.

Kristall started off as Kvant-3?
https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4225/documentation/mhh/mirhh-part3.pdf

Tags: