Author Topic: SpaceX customers' views on reuse  (Read 114746 times)

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 241
  • Likes Given: 205
Re: SpaceX customers' views on reuse
« Reply #460 on: 03/30/2018 01:12 PM »
I can't wait for SpaceX to have garages full of Block Vs ready for re-use. Then, they will really be waiting for customers.

Online AncientU

• Liked: 3663
  • Likes Given: 5097
« Reply #461 on: 03/30/2018 04:46 PM »
Nice on-topic article:
After one year, reusable rockets becoming routine for SpaceX

“I don’t want to get complacent, but I think we understand reusable boosters,” CEO Elon Musk said Feb. 6, after two recycled boosters assisted the successful debut of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket.

What seemed very risky a year ago has quickly won buy-in from customers.

Six of SpaceX’s last nine launches have used pre-flown boosters, not including the Falcon Heavy test flight.

“It’s becoming de rigueur now,” said Martin Halliwell, chief technology officer of Luxembourg-based SES, the first company to take a chance launching on a pre-flown Falcon. “It’s becoming commonplace, which is quite extraordinary in the time of a year.”

Buy-in from customers has come surprisingly quickly.
Space industry consultant Jim Muncy, founder of PoliSpace, is bullish, predicting it won't be long before Cape Canaveral hosts 50 to 100 launches a year, thanks to SpaceX’s reusable rockets and another being designed by Blue Origin, the firm backed by Amazon.com founder and billionaire Jeff Bezos.

“They didn’t do this as a science experiment,” said Muncy. “They did it because it’s the right answer economically and financially for the industry, for their customers, for themselves as venture.”
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2018/03/30/after-one-year-reusable-rockets-becoming-routine-spacex/470757002/
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 4944
  • Likes Given: 1387
« Reply #462 on: 04/13/2018 09:47 AM »
Just noticed that last week marked the first anniversary of this thread. I must admit things have moved rather quicker than I expected then.

Currently I'm still maintaining the re-use summary in the thread's first post. However, with Block 5 introduction imminent, and it seems general customer acceptance of re-use, I'm wondering if this thread is reaching the point where it's served it's purpose? Or do we keep going until at least fairing re-use is established?

Views welcome.

Online speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 818
  • Likes Given: 931
« Reply #463 on: 04/13/2018 10:07 AM »
Just noticed that last week marked the first anniversary of this thread. I must admit things have moved rather quicker than I expected then.

Currently I'm still maintaining the re-use summary in the thread's first post. However, with Block 5 introduction imminent, and it seems general customer acceptance of re-use, I'm wondering if this thread is reaching the point where it's served it's purpose? Or do we keep going until at least fairing re-use is established?

Views welcome.

I'd say it still has function at least out until FH stops flying, and BFS takes over.
Which is at least a couple of years away :)

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #464 on: 04/13/2018 10:22 AM »
Just realised have nothing explicit in this thread about SES-12 reusing a booster.

It was confirmed in SES press release yesterday. I'll update the first post.

Edit: actually earlier confirmation on April 5 in media accreditation announcement

Several launches away, but SpaceX has opened media accreditation for SES-12. "The launch (from SLC-40) is targeted for no earlier than May."

"A flight-proven Falcon 9 rocket will deliver SES-12 to a geostationary transfer orbit (GTO)."

SES-12: ses.com/our-coverage/s…

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/981975803922735104
« Last Edit: 04/13/2018 12:35 PM by FutureSpaceTourist »

Online deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1560
  • Likes Given: 2813
« Reply #465 on: 04/13/2018 07:39 PM »

Views welcome.

There will likely still be at least 2-3 hold outs worth following in NSS launches, NASA LSP, and NASA Commercial Crew.  Not that they are necessarily solidly opposed to reuse, just that they don't have it figured out yet how to go about certifying a reused booster for flight.  NASA's experience with doing so for CRS missions has likely helped lay some groundwork for LSP.  Not sure about for CC.  The USAF has made statements in the past about their openness to the idea in theory but needing to work out the practical application and requirements, etc.  So I think the thread is worthwhile to maintain as we follow those institutional customers on their path.  But I agree that from the purely commercial side, it's almost fully adopted.  Next milestones there will be for reuse of boosters that have flown non-LEO trajectories on their first flight and for multiple reuse (i.e. the booster has already flown more than once).
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #466 on: 04/15/2018 05:23 PM »
From the TESS SpaceX mission thread:

Key points from SpaceX's Hans Koenigsmann at a NASA Social event a few moments ago.
 -  Confirmed landing on OCISLY
[...]

Edit: I forgot an important one!
  - The plan is for this booster to fly again on the next CRS mission pending NASA approval.

Online speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 818
  • Likes Given: 931
« Reply #467 on: 04/16/2018 02:57 AM »
I'd say it still has function at least out until FH stops flying, and BFS takes over.

And it just became a whole lot more relevant again.

Might 2019 be the year when the first reused S2 flies?

Online yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #468 on: 04/16/2018 03:01 AM »

2020 at the earliest. It will likely take several iterations to get to recovery if it works at all. Then it will probably take a dev cycle to actually make the 2nd stage reusable after being recovered.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 7661
  • Likes Given: 5104
« Reply #469 on: 04/16/2018 03:13 AM »

2020 at the earliest. It will likely take several iterations to get to recovery if it works at all. Then it will probably take a dev cycle to actually make the 2nd stage reusable after being recovered.
It only took 15 months from 1st first stage recovery to first time they reused a booster on a flight. Could take longer or shorter. So if they get lucky and do it during the first few attempts, it could definitely be by 2019.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: