Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 373944 times)

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 287
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #1500 on: 07/13/2018 10:12 PM »
There's a short video attached to the tweet (which I have no idea as to how to post it here!) showing someone using a control to vary the colours of the lighting in the tunnel. As somebody replied: Cool, but why?

Here's a link, at least: https://twitter.com/boringcompany/status/1017808567666126851

My guess is that it's for when bigwigs visit. Selling the sizzle.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1634
  • Likes Given: 1958
« Reply #1501 on: 07/14/2018 11:35 AM »
As somebody replied: Cool, but why?
Cool is why.
It is almost exactly free to do, and makes your tunnel look very different to all the other tunnels.
Brand-building and more coverage and talk by passengers of the test tunnels mean easier funding and perhaps even translate over to more sales as advertising and word of mouth for Tesla/SpaceX/Boring products as time goes on.

Even without making it look cool for big investors or purchasers, getting people to do your back channel work for you and approach their local politicians casually, for example may be invalulable.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1908
  • Likes Given: 4508
« Reply #1502 on: 07/14/2018 02:08 PM »
Cool is why.

I think that's something many people miss when it comes to Elon's companies.  Cool is a commodity.  They ask themselves "How could we make this cooler?" and then intentionally strive for it.  Frankly, I think it's one of the things that probably makes working at them fun.  Sure, they're focused on results.  But they are also considering/doing the things you and your work friends joke around about over coffee.  That little idea that starts from, "Hey, you know what would be cool/fun/funny/etc.?"  Ok, it doesn't really serve any big purpose and at most places your bosses would tell you, "Yeah, amusing.  But it's a waste of time and money, so get back to work."  But there it's really open to consideration.  And as a result, his companies end up doing a lot of things that get that same reaction.  "Cool, but why?"
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #1503 on: 07/14/2018 10:13 PM »
Here's a link, at least ....

Groan! That I knew how to do - I just didn't think of it! Possibly due to concentrating on how to transfer the video.

Cool is why.
It is almost exactly free to do, and makes your tunnel look very different to all the other tunnels.
Brand-building and more coverage and talk by passengers of the test tunnels mean easier funding and perhaps even translate over to more sales as advertising and word of mouth for Tesla/SpaceX/Boring products as time goes on.

Yes, I was just thinking about what function it would perform in the operation of the tunnel - I didn't consider what function it might perform in the operation of the business overall!

Safe to say, I was suffering from a severe case of tunnel vision! :)

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1634
  • Likes Given: 1958
« Reply #1504 on: 07/15/2018 07:56 PM »
I think that's something many people miss when it comes to Elon's companies.  Cool is a commodity.  They ask themselves "How could we make this cooler?" and then intentionally strive for it.
Boring can be good too.
Sigh.
There are benefits to having a CEO with no filter, but also costs.

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1505 on: 07/17/2018 03:34 AM »
I suspect it will be quite a while before The Boring Company starts creating automated Mars versions of their machinery.  Now that would be relevant and quite interesting.

Current iterations could be relevant if they would share their thoughts about what changes they are going to make to get from here to there.  So far the setup for Chicago looks somewhat manpower intensive for a Mars operation.
« Last Edit: 07/17/2018 09:13 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 526
« Reply #1506 on: 07/17/2018 09:02 AM »
Shotwell has suggested that TBC is relevant to Mars.  Admittedly, for this forum, the relevance is indirect.  But there's no other place on the internet where this is being followed, so I hope that this thread will continue to be allowed here.

Further, I hope that this thread isn't used as an off-topic ghetto.
« Last Edit: 07/17/2018 09:11 AM by RedLineTrain »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1849
« Reply #1507 on: 07/17/2018 09:08 AM »
I recall that Elon was asked a while back. Also how heavy the equipment would be. He answered the present boring machine is over 1000t and a machine designed for Mars will need to be much lighter.

Online ajmarco

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #1508 on: 08/16/2018 12:41 PM »
Elon Musk's tunnel construction and infrastructure firm, The Boring Company, in cooperation with the city of Los Angeles, announced Wednesday it would build a privately funded tunnel from a subway station in East Hollywood to Dodger Stadium that would reduce time in traffic from more than an hour in the car to fewer than four minutes by electric vehicle.

Dugout Loop

Offline Tulse

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1509 on: 08/16/2018 01:45 PM »
The Dodger Stadium project seems absurd to me -- games will have a huge peak demand at the start and finish, with little demand at other times, and Elon's tunnels are relatively low capacity, and far better suited to continuous demand.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8585
  • Likes Given: 5604
« Reply #1510 on: 08/16/2018 01:59 PM »
The Dodger Stadium project seems absurd to me -- games will have a huge peak demand at the start and finish, with little demand at other times, and Elon's tunnels are relatively low capacity, and far better suited to continuous demand.
"Relatively low capacity" is exaggerated.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline envy887

• Liked: 2724
  • Likes Given: 1446
« Reply #1511 on: 08/16/2018 02:10 PM »

Dodger stadium has an average attendance of 46,801. Using the Chicago numbers (16 people per car, 120 cars per hour) fills 4.1% of the stadium average per hour.

I'm guessing there will be at least 2 tunnels to support bi-directional traffic, and they can run in the same direction at peak load times. So make that 8.2% of capacity per hour.

Edit: from the FAQ, initially one tunnel, and up to 2.9 to 5.8% of average attendance (1400 to 2800 people per event).
« Last Edit: 08/16/2018 06:00 PM by envy887 »

Offline Tulse

« Reply #1512 on: 08/16/2018 02:22 PM »
The capacity is low relative to transit technologies of similar infrastructure requirements, such as subway and light rail.  (Subways can run at 25,000-30,000 passengers per hour, or over an order of magnitude above this.)

And keep in mind this is all being done for a single destination, and not as part of an integrated transit system, meaning that the overall average number of passengers per year will be absurdly low.  The cost per trip will have to be very high to recoup the capital and operating expenses.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 601
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #1513 on: 08/16/2018 02:37 PM »
The dugout loop seems a good fit for an experimental tunnel,

* single bore, traffic only one way, towards the stadium at the start of the game, away from the stadium at the end so half the tunnelling cost of a two lane system.
* long down times between peak periods so plenty of time to fix things.
* only taking a small percentage of traffic so it's not a disaster if it is off line
* high peak demand to test max operational loads.

This is not about recouping capital and operating expenses, ticket price was suggested at $1 per trip . It's about developing the system while providing some utility and public good. Much more useful than putting a tube in the desert.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2018 02:37 PM by nacnud »

Offline Tulse

« Reply #1514 on: 08/16/2018 02:50 PM »
If we're viewing it as purely a test implementation, then that makes some sense.  But this is nowhere near a practical, affordable deployment.

Online Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #1515 on: 08/16/2018 02:53 PM »
Interesting shot of the western terminus on that page.  Looks like they store the skates on a big shelf, and they're finally show guide wheels on them.

$250000 a year doesn't even sound as it it will cover their running costs, but it is a good test route.  I guess if they can start to expand the network to something more complex, the Dugout run provides a good utilisation of skates in off-peak times.

Maybe each Skate has a foam glove dispenser to recoup further costs?  Merchandising, merchandising...
« Last Edit: 08/16/2018 02:53 PM by Cheapchips »

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 601
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #1516 on: 08/16/2018 02:58 PM »
According to Electrek this loop replaces the test one planned for West Hollywood which I think has been held up for some reason.

Online Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #1517 on: 08/16/2018 03:03 PM »

Didn't the local council (don't know if that's the right term in LA) start getting a bit arsy about it?

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1518 on: 08/16/2018 03:51 PM »

Dodger stadium has an average attendance of 46,801. Using the Chicago numbers (16 people per car, 120 cars per hour) fills 4.1% of the stadium average per hour.

I'm guessing there will be at least 2 tunnels to support bi-directional traffic, and they can run in the same direction at peak load times. So make that 8.2% of capacity per hour.

Yea, for a functional proof of concept it should keep the costs down to a minimum even though it is a longer tunnel than the other project would have been.  After this, the Chicago tunnel should be more understood and hopefully will be a real showcase for the concept.
The dugout loop seems a good fit for an experimental tunnel,

* single bore, traffic only one way, towards the stadium at the start of the game, away from the stadium at the end so half the tunnelling cost of a two lane system.
* long down times between peak periods so plenty of time to fix things.
* only taking a small percentage of traffic so it's not a disaster if it is off line
* high peak demand to test max operational loads.

This is not about recouping capital and operating expenses, ticket price was suggested at $1 per trip . It's about developing the system while providing some utility and public good. Much more useful than putting a tube in the desert.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 564
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #1519 on: 08/16/2018 04:28 PM »
According to Electrek this loop replaces the test one planned for West Hollywood which I think has been held up for some reason.

The Boring Company website now says: "Previously, The Boring Company proposed a test tunnel under Sepulveda as a proof of concept for tunneling in Los Angeles. However, this test tunnel proposal did not include passenger operations and included only one surface terminal (as opposed to two). The Boring Company has made technical progress much faster than expected and has decided to make its first tunnel in Los Angeles an operational one, hence Dugout Loop!"

This represents an upgrade of the test tunnel project to having some public function. This subway to stadium version was probably chosen because itís a route that can be useful with a single tunnel.

Later, it might also be integrated into a larger system, have a second tunnel added for steady two way traffic and become even more useful.

It can also be a much more effective public demonstration. It might be open to the public normally for $1 rides in both directions when there are no stadium events. This will be complete well before Chicago so it will get a lot of attention.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2018 04:41 PM by Ludus »

Tags: