Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 314420 times)

Online theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 320
  • Likes Given: 155
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #1500 on: 07/13/2018 10:12 PM »
There's a short video attached to the tweet (which I have no idea as to how to post it here!) showing someone using a control to vary the colours of the lighting in the tunnel. As somebody replied: Cool, but why?

Here's a link, at least: https://twitter.com/boringcompany/status/1017808567666126851

My guess is that it's for when bigwigs visit. Selling the sizzle.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1059
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #1501 on: 07/14/2018 11:35 AM »
As somebody replied: Cool, but why?
Cool is why.
It is almost exactly free to do, and makes your tunnel look very different to all the other tunnels.
Brand-building and more coverage and talk by passengers of the test tunnels mean easier funding and perhaps even translate over to more sales as advertising and word of mouth for Tesla/SpaceX/Boring products as time goes on.

Even without making it look cool for big investors or purchasers, getting people to do your back channel work for you and approach their local politicians casually, for example may be invalulable.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1729
  • Likes Given: 3594
« Reply #1502 on: 07/14/2018 02:08 PM »
Cool is why.

I think that's something many people miss when it comes to Elon's companies.  Cool is a commodity.  They ask themselves "How could we make this cooler?" and then intentionally strive for it.  Frankly, I think it's one of the things that probably makes working at them fun.  Sure, they're focused on results.  But they are also considering/doing the things you and your work friends joke around about over coffee.  That little idea that starts from, "Hey, you know what would be cool/fun/funny/etc.?"  Ok, it doesn't really serve any big purpose and at most places your bosses would tell you, "Yeah, amusing.  But it's a waste of time and money, so get back to work."  But there it's really open to consideration.  And as a result, his companies end up doing a lot of things that get that same reaction.  "Cool, but why?"
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #1503 on: 07/14/2018 10:13 PM »
Here's a link, at least ....

Groan! That I knew how to do - I just didn't think of it! Possibly due to concentrating on how to transfer the video.

Cool is why.
It is almost exactly free to do, and makes your tunnel look very different to all the other tunnels.
Brand-building and more coverage and talk by passengers of the test tunnels mean easier funding and perhaps even translate over to more sales as advertising and word of mouth for Tesla/SpaceX/Boring products as time goes on.

Yes, I was just thinking about what function it would perform in the operation of the tunnel - I didn't consider what function it might perform in the operation of the business overall!

Safe to say, I was suffering from a severe case of tunnel vision! :)

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1059
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #1504 on: 07/15/2018 07:56 PM »
I think that's something many people miss when it comes to Elon's companies.  Cool is a commodity.  They ask themselves "How could we make this cooler?" and then intentionally strive for it.
Boring can be good too.
Sigh.
There are benefits to having a CEO with no filter, but also costs.

Online DigitalMan

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1505 on: 07/17/2018 03:34 AM »
I suspect it will be quite a while before The Boring Company starts creating automated Mars versions of their machinery.  Now that would be relevant and quite interesting.

Current iterations could be relevant if they would share their thoughts about what changes they are going to make to get from here to there.  So far the setup for Chicago looks somewhat manpower intensive for a Mars operation.
« Last Edit: 07/17/2018 09:13 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 393
« Reply #1506 on: 07/17/2018 09:02 AM »
Shotwell has suggested that TBC is relevant to Mars.  Admittedly, for this forum, the relevance is indirect.  But there's no other place on the internet where this is being followed, so I hope that this thread will continue to be allowed here.

Further, I hope that this thread isn't used as an off-topic ghetto.
« Last Edit: 07/17/2018 09:11 AM by RedLineTrain »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1732
  • Likes Given: 1694
« Reply #1507 on: 07/17/2018 09:08 AM »
I recall that Elon was asked a while back. Also how heavy the equipment would be. He answered the present boring machine is over 1000t and a machine designed for Mars will need to be much lighter.

Tags: