November 28: U.N. EXPECTED TO AUTHORIZE “ALL NECESSARY MEANS”
Iraq said today it would ignore any U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing the use of force to drive it out of Kuwait. "Any decision taken by the Security Council under the present U.S. hegemony is of no concern to us," said al-Thawra, newspaper of the ruling Baath Party."It will not force us to step back or relinquish our national historical rights," it added. Meanwhile, the Pentagon said Baghdad is defiantly sending more troops into Kuwait as the United Nations prepares to vote on a U.S.-sponsored resolution demanding that Iraq withdraw from Kuwait by January 15 or face the likelihood of attack.
The Bush administration, building its case for military action to end the nearly 4-month-old crisis, charged Tuesday, November 27, that Iraq could produce a crude nuclear bomb within a year. However, international nuclear inspectors who visited Iraq last week said they saw no such evidence. White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater rejected the report by the International Atomic Energy Agency. "We think the International Atomic Energy Agency is wrong," said Fitzwater. "They see only what they want to see." Fitzwater repeated President Bush's contention that Baghdad will have a nuclear device in six months.
Iraq's deputy foreign minister said Wednesday in Baghdad that Bush should initiate talks with Saddam Hussein to restore peace in the gulf, although he did not offer concessions regarding Kuwait. Iraq has called for dialogue with the United States previously, but U.S. officials have said there is nothing to discuss as long as Iraq refuses to free all foreign hostages and withdraw unconditionally from Kuwait.
Iraq's deputy prime minister, Taha Yassin Ramadan, said Bush "is leading the entire world to a ruinous war" and "has no choice other than to come to his senses and initiate a dialogue." Ramadan indicated, however, that Iraq had not softened its position on Kuwait, saying it was intent on ousting "aggressors and traitors" from Arab land.
China's foreign minister, Qian Qichen, said in Beijing his country would not vote for the U.N. use-of-force resolution. But he refused to say whether China would veto the measure, which it could do as one of five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council. U.S. officials say the Chinese have promised not to oppose the resolution. Qian will meet with Secretary of State James A. Baker III tonight and may be seeking concessions in return for abstaining during Thursday's U.N. vote. China wants Washington to lift economic sanctions it imposed following the June 1989 military crackdown that crushed China's pro-democracy movement. Qian's is the first official visit by a Chinese minister since the crackdown.
The Pentagon estimated Tuesday that Iraq has 450,000 troops in the Kuwaiti theater of operations, up 20,000 from last week. About 230,000 U.S. soldiers are in the region and about 200,000 more are to be sent in coming weeks. Pentagon spokesman Pete Williams said any Iraqi buildup in the region is a further indication that Saddam has no intention of complying with demands that he withdraw, which are already backed by a U.N.-ordered trade embargo.
Iraq will have until January 15 to pull its troops from Kuwait before it faces the prospect of U.N.-authorized military action, Soviet U.N. Ambassador Yuli M. Vorontsov said Tuesday. Soviet and U.S. diplomats fixed the deadline in the past 24 hours, said Western diplomats who spoke on condition of anonymity. The resolution authorizes "all necessary means" to get Iraq out of Kuwait after that deadline. Even without China's support, the draft resolution has more than enough pledges of positive votes to pass.
Pentagon estimates that Iraq could produce a "very crude" nuclear device within a year have prompted concern that it could be used against U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia, spokesman Williams said in Washington. Such a device might not be delivered from an airplane or "weaponized in the traditional sense of a nuclear weapon, but it would be capable of doing some damage, of producing some kind of yield," he said.
Gary Milhollin of the Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control said the administration is exaggerating the danger of Iraq's nuclear program in an effort to gain support for the U.N. resolution authorizing use of force. Milhollin, a nuclear expert, said he didn't think it was a "credible scenario" that Iraq would have nuclear weapons in less than a year.
Senator Edward Kennedy, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, says he has knowledge that Iraq could not acquire nuclear weapons within two years. The Massachusetts Democrat has urged that economic sanctions against Iraq remain in place for a year or two before any military action is taken.
Saddam on Tuesday said after meeting with boxing great Muhammad Ali in Baghdad that a number of Americans held in Iraq would soon be allowed to leave the country. In an interview, Ali said the number of hostages Saddam promised to free was not specified but that he would remain in Baghdad until they could fly home. He met Tuesday with some of the Americans detained in Baghdad as "human shields" in case of attack by multinational troops.
Ali, on a mission to Baghdad on behalf of a number of American peace groups, arrived in the Iraqi capital last Wednesday, November 21. He met Tuesday with Saddam for about 50 minutes. During the meeting, the president reiterated his stand on the need for a peaceful settlement to the crisis. Ali said he told the Iraqi leader that a release would be "good for maintaining peace in the area and good for the image of Iraq in the United States." (Deseret News, Reuters, AP, UPI, Nov. 28, 1990 – edited)
November 29: UNITED NATIONS TURNS UP THE HEAT ON IRAQ
Even though the United States has the votes to pass a U.N. resolution authorizing military force to drive Iraq from Kuwait, Secretary of State James Baker lobbied for it up to the last minute. The resolution, expected to pass overwhelmingly this afternoon, would authorize an attack if Iraqi troops do not withdraw by January 15, diplomats say.The only other time the Security Council has sanctioned force to counter aggression was during the Korean War.
Baker was presiding over today’s meeting. On Wednesday night, he met with Cuba's foreign minister, Isidoro Malmierca, then with China's top envoy, Qian Qichen. Both countries have said they would not vote in favor of the measure, although U.S. officials say China was not expected to exercise the veto power it wields as one of five permanent Security Council members. Baker's talk with Malmierca was the first formal U.S.-Cuban meeting in more than 30 years. The two countries still lack formal relations.
Today Iraq renewed its bitter criticism of the proposed resolution, which the ruling party newspaper called a "declaration of war." President Saddam Hussein accused the United States of pushing the United Nations into using "double standards" - supporting resolutions against Iraq but not those against Israel. The Arab Baath Socialist Party newspaper Al-Thawra suggested the resolution could provoke a backlash: "increased resistance by the oppressed."
The Security Council yesterday took another step against Iraq, condemning atrocities committed against Kuwaitis and placing Kuwait's civil records in U.N. custody. The council voted 15-0 to adopt a resolution that "condemns the attempts by Iraq to alter the demographic composition" of Kuwait and to destory the country's civil records. U.N. Secretary-General Javier Perez de Cuellar was asked to take over the records of the Kuwaiti government and its population of nearly two million, which is composed of 39 percent ethnic Kuwaitis, 39 percent other Arabs and the rest from India, Iran and Pakistan.
IN OTHER DEVELOPMENTS:
- A former Navy secretary said today that President Bush must not add to his "error" of ordering 430,000 troops to the region by attacking Iraq. "The President's mistake in sending so many troops should not be compounded by a further error in using them in a premature, unprovoked ground offensive," James Webb told the Senate Armed Services Committee. Webb, who served in the Reagan administration, is the third former top military official to urge caution in the gulf. Two former chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Wednesday Bush should give sanctions against Iraq more time to work before going to war.
- Senator Bob Dole, R-Kan., the Senate minority leader, said in a statement Wednesday the chances were "better than 50-50" for a special congressional session on the gulf crisis, probably before Christmas. White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said Bush remains reluctant to call Congress back to discuss the gulf crisis. "Let's wait and see," Fitzwater said today, suggesting Bush would consult with members of Congress he has invited to the White House tomorrow about the possibility of a special session.
- Vice President Dan Quayle argued against waiting too long. "Does patience today risk greater American casualties tomorrow?" Quayle asked in remarks to Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J. "Even as we exercise patience and restraint, we must also be alert to the moral costs of such a course." He said that "with every day that passes," the plight of the people of Kuwait "grows more desperate." Furthermore, Quayle asked, "will continued patience with Iraq help make the world vulnerable to nuclear blackmail by Saddam" and if so, is this a moral course of action?
The U.N. use-of-force resolution remained on track after the United States, presiding over the council this month, delayed a vote Wednesday on whether to deploy U.N. observers to protect Palestinians in Israeli-occupied lands. Seeking to maintain its alliance with Arab countries opposing Iraq, Washington wants to avoid having to veto or abstain in a vote that would offend Israel. U.S. officials also wanted to pass the use-of-force resolution before Saturday, when the council presidency passes to Yemen, which has sympathized with Iraq. "Either we will build civilized relations between states, a new world order and new policy, or will live by the law of the jungle," Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze said upon arriving in New York on Wednesday.
Baker personally has consulted all 14 other Security Council members. At least 12 appeared solidly behind the resolution. With nine votes needed to pass, Cuba, Yemen and China were the holdouts. Malmierca said after meeting with Baker that he found the resolution "not acceptable." Baker and Qian refused to answer reporters' questions when they got together at midnight Wednesday at a New York hotel. Earlier Qian said he would not vote in favor of the resolution. China had not said publicly how it would vote. (Deseret News, Nov. 29, 1990 – edited)
November 30: IRAQ PONDERS BUSH'S OFFER FOR NEGOTIATIONS
Iraq's leaders on today pondered President Bush's offer to negotiate an Iraqi pullout from Kuwait. The Iraqi ambassador to France called it "an important step toward peace." However, earlier in the day, Iraq's ruling Revolutionary Command Council rejected the U.N. Security Council's latest ultimatum to withdraw from Kuwait. The seven-member body said Iraq would fight to keep the conquered emirate. There was no immediate official comment from the Iraqi capital on Bush's offer to dispatch Secretary of State James Baker and invite Iraqi officials to Washington for talks on an Iraqi withdrawal from Kuwait.
The Iraqi leadership seemed taken by surprise by Bush's announcement. They immediately went back into session to discuss the development, diplomats said, but it was not known who attended the meeting. Iraqi officials said later that the government would make no official comment until Saturday. However, the Iraqi ambassador to France, Abdul Razzack al Hashimi, told the BBC radio: "This is an important step, really, toward peace, and we hope it is going to achieve what we are all striving for, negotiations instead of beating the drums of war. I consider it very good news."
There was an announcement on television that major demonstrations would be held Saturday - Martyrs' Day - to protest the U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing military force against Iraq if it does not withdraw from Kuwait by January 15. The resolution was passed Thursday in New York. But the nightly news passed with no mention of Washington's offer of talks. Baghdad's reticence was seen as an indication officials do not want to appear too eager to respond to Bush's initiative.
For weeks, Iraqi officials have said they would welcome talks with U.S. officials on the gulf crisis but rejected demands that Iraq first withdraw unconditionally from Kuwait. Officials in Britain, Italy, Jordan, the Palestine Liberation Organization, Libya, Yemen and Saudi Arabia welcomed Bush's proposal. One Saudi newspaper publisher, speaking on condition of anonymity, said, "I imagine that Bush would not have been ready to send his foreign minister to Baghdad unless he secured some encouraging commitment from the Iraqi leadership."
Libya, a longtime foe of U.S. policies, greeted Bush's announcement warmly. At the United Nations, Libyan Ambassador Ali Treikki congratulated Bush for making a "good step forward for a peaceful solution" in the gulf. Yemen, the only Arab country in the 15-nation Security Council to vote against the resolution authorizing the use of force against Iraq, also praised the offer. "That's the best news we have had in a long time, it's very promising," Yemen's U.N. Ambassador Abdallah Saleh Al-Ashtal told reporters.
"We welcome Mr. Bush's initiative," said Jordan's foreign minister, Marwan Qassem. "This decision complies with Jordan's proposal calling for dialogue." Jordan has tried to mediate between Iraq and the nations supporting the ousted Kuwaiti government. The Palestine Liberation Organization - also supportive of Iraq - called Bush's action "the first constructive step."
Kuwaitis expressed doubt Saddam would bend and accept peace. Hassan Abdul-Aziz, a Kuwait University professor and a volunteer in the Kuwaiti information office in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, said: "We are convinced this person and his regime understand only force. We are heartened to see that almost all the nations of the world support us."
Congressional leaders emerged from an hour-long meeting with Bush later Friday praising the decision to send Baker to Baghdad."It's an opportunity to express face-to-face to Saddam Hussein the commitment of the American people" to Bush's policy to end the occupation of Kuwait, said House Speaker Thomas S. Foley, D-Wash. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, D-Maine, called the Baker trip "a good idea" and said he agreed with Bush that a special session of Congress was not needed. But Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole, R-Kan., while praising Bush for sending Baker to Iraq, accused Congress of wanting "to sit this one out" rather than meeting to adopt a resolution of support. (Deseret News, Associated Press, Dec. 1, 1990 – edited)