November 8: PRESIDENT BUSH ORDERS MASSIVE NEW BUILDUP
President Bush is ordering more than 150,000 additional American troops to the Persian Gulf, a move that nearly doubles U.S. firepower in the region and marks a fundamental shift toward an offensive military stance. Bush said today in announcing the new wave of troop deployments for Operation Desert Shield that he still hoped to get Iraq out of Kuwait without starting a war. But he said he wanted an "adequate offensive military option" in case United Nations economic sanctions and diplomatic pressures against Iraq prove futile.
Analysts said the move brought the United States closer to war with Iraq. "The Iraqis, in effect, are being put on notice that they will be attacked" unless they withdraw from Kuwait under Bush's terms, said Frank Gaffney Jr., director of the Center for Security Policy and a former Pentagon official. The scale of the additional U.S. troop deployments is enormous. Once the added forces are in place, America will have more troops in the gulf region than it had in Europe during the Cold War when the perceived enemy was a nuclear superpower. About one-third of the Army's worldwide force will be in the Saudi desert.
About 230,000 U.S. air, ground and sea forces now are in and around Saudi Arabia, and a coalition of other Western and Arab nations have put at least 100,000 troops in the gulf area. The Iraqi force in Kuwait and southern Iraq is estimated at 430,000. Full deployment of the units listed today by Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, who gave details of the new buildup, would add more than 150,000 troops to the U.S. forces there, Pentagon officials said in private conversations. Bush and Pentagon officials refused to disclose the numbers, but the new deployment should more than double the number of U.S. tanks in Saudi Arabia, to about 2,000, judging from organization charts and estimates by Army sources. The Pentagon estimates that Iraq has about 3,500 tanks in and around Kuwait.
Bush said he hoped Iraqi President Saddam Hussein viewed the stepped-up U.S. deployments to the gulf as evidence that the Western and Arab coalition arrayed against him was serious about using military force if diplomatic and economic pressures fail. "If this movement of force is what convinces him, so much the better," Bush said. He added later, "When he surveys the force that's there he will recognize that he is up against just a foe that he can't possibly manage militarily."
The president also said he was heartened by reports from Secretary of State James A. Baker III that the Soviet Union would not oppose passage of a U.N. resolution authorizing the use of force against Iraq as a last resort to liberate Kuwait. Administration officials had strongly hinted in recent weeks that additional U.S. Army units would be sent to Saudi Arabia, but there had been little indication that Bush would order such a large increase in naval and Marine power.
Sen. Claiborne Pell, D-Rhode Island, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, expressed skepticism about the buildup. "I am concerned that the administration is moving to establish an offensive capacity in advance of a U.N. resolution authorizing offensive action," Pell said. He said the international trade embargo against Iraq has not had "a decent chance to produce results." (Deseret News, Nov. 9, 1990 – edited)
November 9: TIME FOR NATION TO PREPARE FOR WAR?
Members of Congress say President Bush's massive deployment of nearly 200,000 additional U.S. forces to the Persian Gulf is a signal to the nation to get ready for war. "I think the American people need to prepare themselves for a major conflict in the Middle East," said Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Montana, a senior member of the House Armed Services Committee. There was cautious support for the latest military buildup, but one Republican criticized Bush for acting without broad advance consultation with Congress.
"This is a major change, and they're missing a bet, frankly," said Rep. William Broomfield, R-Michigan, the senior GOP member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. "The whole question is one of putting more pressure on Saddam Hussein. But if you want the broadest support, Congress has got to be in on the takeoff as well as the landing," he said today. Bush's failure to contact lawmakers could eventually undermine the gulf policy, Broomfield said, adding that he and committee Chairman Dante Fascell, D-Florida, asked Bush in an Oct. 26 letter to be kept informed of any additional deployment or change in mission of U.S. troops.
Bush is to meet with congressional leaders Wednesday, November 14, to discuss the gulf situation. Fascell said it remained to be seen whether the military buildup will force Saddam to withdraw from Kuwait. "From what we know about him, it is unlikely he can be bluffed," Fascell said in a statement. "This means that we cannot keep increasing our forces in Operation Desert Shield unless we are ready, willing and able to use them in offensive operations."
Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Connecticut, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he agreed with Bush's decision if the step was taken to enhance the diplomatic and political efforts to unseat Saddam. However, if Bush has abandoned that approach, "then I suggest the President get the Congress back here immediately," Dodd told reporters at a Capitol Hill news conference."If you send in these troops and you end up with 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 kids coming back to this country in body bags to liberate a scorched Kuwait, I'm not sure you're going to find a tremendous amount of support or approval for the President," Dodd said.
Elsewhere, Rep. Charles Rangel was harshly critical of Bush's action. "With this troop buildup, the President is sending every signal that instead of seeking peaceful solutions, he plans to rush the nation into war," Rangel said. Rangel, D-N.Y., suggested that while many U.S. allies have placed a stronger emphasis on a diplomatic solution, "the President really seems to be going his own way on this." Sen. Steve Symms, R-Idaho, said he wouldn't second guess Bush. The President "has sole responsibility for assuring we have adequate military might," he said. (Deseret News, Nov. 10, 1990 – edited)
November 9: EX-CHANCELLOR LANDS IN GERMANY WITH 174 NEWLY FREED HOSTAGES
Former West German Chancellor Willy Brandt arrived in Frankfurt, Germany, today from Baghdad with three Americans and 171 other Westerners whose freedom he obtained from Saddam Hussein. One of the Americans, Miles Hoffman, 33, of Columbus, Georgia, shot in the arm by Iraqi forces in Kuwait, was immediately taken off the plane and taken to the U.S. Air Force Hospital in Wiesbaden, Germany, for a checkup, Air Force Captain Tom Gilroy said. Hoffman, a financial analyst with the Kuwaiti government at the time of Iraq's invasion, was shot when Iraqi soldiers tried to force their way into his Kuwait City apartment September 5, according to reports from Columbus. The bullet shattered a bone in his left forearm and he was hospitalized for about a week, the reports said. A second American, Don Swanke, 66, of Westlake Village, California, also was taken to the hospital in Wiesbaden, 25 miles west of Frankfurt, for a precautionary checkup, Gilroy said. Swanke lost 33 pounds during his captivity.
The airport rang out with the cheers of the hundreds on hand for the arrival of the former hostages as the German jetliner touched down. Relatives who hadn't seen each other since Iraq's invasion of Kuwait on August 2 wept and embraced as they emerged from the plane. Some held signs reading, "Thank you, Mr. Brandt." Others departed the plane carrying children; one woman hugged Brandt.
"Good riddance," Hoffman told TV cameras at the airplane boarding counter in Baghdad as he clutched his U.S. passport and boarding documents. His arm was in a cast and he seemed to be in pain. Swanke and his wife, Brenda Swanke, were presented to reporters by U.S. authorities. Also on the plane were nationals from Britain, Italy, Switzerland, Finland, Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Norway and Luxembourg, the German carrier Lufthansa said. Earlier reports of a Canadian aboard could not be confirmed. The airline's manifest only listed nationalities, not names.
Brandt said upon his departure that he had discussed with Saddam efforts to achieve a durable and solid settlement for the problems of the Middle East. At the Baghdad airport, Brandt told a news conference he was carrying proposals for settling the three-month-old gulf crisis. "I need a weekend to go through my notes and put together what I have," Brandt said, refusing to elaborate. (Deseret News, Nov. 10. 1990 – edited)
November 10: BAKER: WE BELIEVE WE ARE TOTALLY UNITED
Secretary of State James A. Baker III on today claimed success in his mission to shore up the anti-Iraq coalition, but the Baghdad government accused the United States of dragging its allies toward a war they did not want. Baker flew back to Washington after a weeklong round of diplomacy that ended with talks in Paris. After meeting with French President Francois Mitterrand, he expressed satisfaction with the state of the alliance that came together after Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's troops seized Kuwait on August 2.
"We believe we are totally united," the secretary of state told reporters. "We have built a consensus; we have increased the pressure on Saddam Hussein." But, he added, "We must heighten the pressure further. Indeed we have to lay the foundation for the use of force should that become necessary. Clearly, one way to do that is to get ready militarily."
During Baker's trip, U.S. officials said the American contingent in the gulf would be increased by up to 200,000 troops. Already, about 230,000 U.S. forces are deployed in the region, facing 430,000 Iraqi troops in southern Iraq and Kuwait. Iraq's foreign minister said the plans to dramatically strengthen the U.S. deployment proved that Washington had planned an offensive from the beginning. The Iraqi official, Tariq Aziz, said President Bush had misled the governments of Saudi Arabia and Egypt and other nations about the true mission of the multinational force. (Deseret News / AP, Nov. 11, 1990 – edited)