”Desert Shield” – A Line Has Been Drawn in the Sand“Mr. President, are we at war?” - Helen Thomas, asking President Bush during the Aug. 8 White House press briefing
AMERICA DOES NOT SEEK CONFLICT
President Bush announced Wednesday, August 8, that U.S. troops were taking up "defensive positions" in oil-rich Saudi Arabia to guard against a possible attack by Iraq. "A line has been drawn in the sand," he declared in a grim warning to Saddam Hussein. Bush would not say how many U.S. forces were being committed to the desert defense of the Saudi kingdom, and he would not say which "other nations" would join the multinational effort. Diplomatic sources in Riyadh, the Saudi capital, said U.S. Marines arrived early Thursday near Khafji, a coastal city seven miles south of the Kuwaiti border that includes an oil terminal.
Troops were arriving from the United States and overseas bases, and Bush said they "will not initiate hostilities, but they will defend themselves." U.S. government sources said at least 5,000 ground troops were involved, along with 140 sophisticated fighters and bombers and naval supply ships. Cruise missiles programmed to hit specific Iraqi sites were loaded aboard a battleship that set out Tuesday on the week-long journey to the Middle East.
Diplomatic sources said the U.S. force buildup would total at least 40,000 troops. Several other estimates ranged up to 50,000. In addition, a formidable U.S. naval fleet is gathering in and around the gulf and the Mediterranean. Bush held his regular national security briefing at the White House Thursday morning, a session sure to include the latest intelligence on the Middle East situation.
In a televised Oval Office address, Bush sharply condemned Iraqi aggression in invading Kuwait last week. He demanded "immediate, unconditional and complete" withdrawal and the restoration of the Kuwaiti government to power. Later, in a noon-hour news conference, Bush said U.S. forces would not be used to try and drive Iraq out of Kuwait. He said he hoped economic sanctions would accomplish that end. Bush sidestepped a question about what other countries would be joining a multinational force in Saudi Arabia. "I'd prefer to leave that to the Saudis to announce,” he said. He noted that British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had said she would commit forces.
Iraq, meanwhile, said Wednesday that it has annexed Kuwait. "Our fellow citizens, history has proved that Kuwait is a part of Iraq," said a statement read on Iraqi state radio and television by an unidentified announcer. Iraq has made claims on Kuwaiti territory for years. Hussein said his people "would rather die than be humiliated" and threatened to "pluck out the eyes of those who attack the Arab nation."
Although Britain said Wednesday that it would join a multinational force, Egypt and Morocco denied U.S. reports that they would do so. The Saudi rulers have never before allowed U.S. troops onto their soil, and sources had said Arab participation in the multinational effort was a Saudi condition for doing so. Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, called for an emergency Arab summit within 24 hours, and he offered to hold it in Egypt. A report said nine other Arab nations, including Saudi Arabia, had agreed to meet.
Bush also said he was concerned with the possibility that Iraq might use chemical weapons, since it has employed them in the past. "It would be intolerable and it would be dealt with very, very severely." In his televised speech, the president conceded that the Saudi defense mission "may take time and be costly" and said he would consider tapping the nation's strategic petroleum reserves to assure a ready supply of oil. He called on the oil companies not to engage in unnecessary price hikes to take advantage of the international uncertainty and urged that other oil-producing nations boost production.
Bush said he thought there were already indications that Iraq was "beginning to feel the pinch" from the economic sanctions voted earlier in the week by the United Nations. "My military objective is to see Saudi Arabia defended. Our overall objective is to see Saddam Hussein get out, go back and have the rightful regime of Kuwait in place," Bush said. Asked if the United States was at war, he replied: "We're not in a war. We have sent forces to defend Saudi Arabia. I want to be clear about what we are doing and why," Bush said. "America does not seek conflict, nor do we seek to chart the destiny of other nations. But America will stand by her friends."
"In a life of a nation, we are called upon to define who we are and what we believe. Sometimes these choices are not easy. Today, as president, I ask for your support in the decision I've made to stand up for what's right and condemn what's wrong, all in the name of peace. The stakes are high. Iraq is already a rich and powerful country that possesses the world's second largest reserves of oil and over a million men under arms," Bush said.
The President added, "If history teaches us anything, it is that we must resist aggression or it will destroy our freedoms. Appeasement does not work. As was the case in the 1930s, we see in Saddam Hussein an aggressive dictator threatening his neighbors."
NULL AND VOID
Thousands of U.S. troops poured into Saudi Arabia Thursday, August 9, and reportedly took up positions within seven miles of the Iraqi border, despite Iraq's insistence it has no plans to invade the desert kingdom. Iraq had also promised it would not invade Kuwait, which it overran a week ago and annexed on Wednesday.
Saudi Arabia's King Fahd called the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait "the most horrible aggression" in the Arab world's modern history. King Fahd, in his first public comment on the invasion, said Thursday the kingdom had sought foreign military help with great reluctance and stressed that U.S. and other troops would act only defensively. In the past, the Saudis had repeatedly rejected U.S. requests to base American forces in the strategic country.
The U.N. Security Council Thursday unanimously declared Iraq's annexation of Kuwait to be "null and void" and called on all nations to shun the government Baghdad installed in Kuwait. The vote was 15-0 on the council, which met for the third time in one week to condemn Iraq's invasion of Kuwait and to support the ousted government. The majority included the council's only Arab member, Yemen.
The resolution says, "Annexation of Kuwait by Iraq under any form and whatever pretext has no legal validity and is considered null and void." It calls upon all states and international organizations not to recognize the annexation and not to take any action that might be interpreted as indirect recognition of the annexation.
In other developments Thursday Israel launched the first test of a new missile developed to combat short-range ballistic missiles. Israel radio said it was a direct response to an Iraqi threat a day earlier. Iran, which fought a bloody eight-year war with Iraq, warned that Tehran "will not tolerate" Baghdad's annexation of Kuwait. A Foreign Ministry statement quoted by the official Islamic Republic News Agency said the Iraqi takeover brought on a "crisis" in the region.
UNLIKELY PARTNERS
"I'm not optimistic about an Arab summit," Sen. William Cohen, R-Maine, told CBS, noting the presence of Libya's Moammar Gadhafi at the gathering. The effort to win regional support for its campaign against Iraq's Saddam Hussein has the United States sounding out unlikely partners - including Iran, Syria and the Soviet Union.
Country responses to a U.S.-led multinational force to deter Iraqi aggression:
- Great Britain: Says it would participate in the multinational force, the only country offering ships and planes.
- Egypt, Morocco: Denies any agreement to participate; Egypt will host an emergency Arab summit.
- Saudi Arabia, Oman, Quatar, Bahrain, U.A.E., Kuwait: Military units of a six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council are currently in Saudi Arabia as part of a force called "Peninsula Shield," could become part of the multinational force.
- West Germany: Allows the U.S. military to use American facilities in the country as a "basis for operations" for soldiers heading to Saudi Arabia.
- Italy: Agrees to let bases in the country to be used to help facilitate transport of troops and equipment and for logistical support.
- Spain: Opposes outside intervention, allows the U.S. to use four jointly operated military bases to support U.S. troops.
- Greece: Grant permission for nine U.S. support planes to pass through Greek airspace.
- France: States "no participation is envisioned at this stage"
- Soviet Union: Silent reaction to deployment of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia
- China: States that it would respect Saudi Arabia's decision to allow U.S. troops on its soil
- Japan: Expresses support for the U.S. decision to send troops into Saudi Arabia as a defensive measure
MOST FAVOR RETALIATION
A majority of Americans favor waging war on Iraq if Baghdad tries to invade Saudi Arabia, holds hostage or kills U.S. citizens in Iraq or Kuwait, or begins to cut off world oil, a Newsweek magazine poll says. The survey of 770 people also showed that a majority of Americans do not believe a covert assassination of Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein would be a "quick way" of solving the Middle East crisis. The poll said that nearly three quarters of those surveyed believe U.S. troops were likely to become engaged in combat with Iraqi troops. It also showed that 67 percent would approve of waging a war on Baghdad if Iraqi troops invade Saudi Arabia, while 58 percent said U.S. troops should engage in battle if Iraq begins to control or cut off access to oil-rich Kuwait.
(Combined AP, UPI, Deseret News, Aug. 8, 9 & 12 – edited)