Author Topic: Analysis of Trump's Space Views from 100 day agenda  (Read 5994 times)

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 3173
  • Likes Given: 4391
Re: Analysis of Trump's Space Views from 100 day agenda
« Reply #20 on: 02/07/2019 05:41 am »
The President is the decision maker.  The presidents decides on a policy and then installs people into those positions of authority in which they can maneuver to implement policies.

Let's not very glorify the position of President too much. A President gets involved as much as they want in issues, but otherwise the people they install to run the agencies and departments take care of the day to day stuff. And from all evidence, and from recent allegations, Trump is a very much hands-off President.

Trump has also proven to be very much a high-concept President, who from all reports doesn't understand much about the details concerning space related stuff. For instance, he asked if NASA could land humans on Mars by the end of his first term - clearly he had spent ZERO time on the topic before asking that question, and didn't seem to understand why it couldn't happen.

The other party that is responsible for space policy is Congress, and that is where a lack of Presidential leadership really shows up, since given a perceived lack of interest by the President, Congress will do whatever they want regarding the budget. And so far Trump has not shown a willingness to stick his neck out on any space related issues.

Make no mistake about it that the president says, "I want this" and his faithful lieutenants execute the orders.

Not unless Congress agrees.

It is true that in the Trump administration the Vice-President is taking a much more active roll.  However, this is by the President's wish.

This is a good role for a V.P., but pretty much the biggest effort Pence has shown is for regulatory stuff, not leading the charge to put together a plan for human exploration.

Finally, to be fair; it is my personal opinion that Neither President Trump or President Obama really put NASA and Human Space Exploration AND SETTLEMENT as a moderate priority in their agendas.

To be fair, I think you are COMPLETELY forgetting what Obama did in his first two years compared to what Trump has NOT done in his first two years.

Remember that Obama put a quick focus on space with the Augustine Commission, and then reshaped his budget priorities based on the results of the Augustine Commission. Regardless whether you liked or disliked what Obama requested from Congress, it was a bold move that sought to reshape American space policy in a VERY significant way.

In comparison Trump has pretty much done nothing regarding HSF - no specific proposals, and nothing in his budget.

Trump only seems to pay attention to space when it makes him look good. Otherwise he could care less.

My $0.02
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1334
  • Likes Given: 8916
« Reply #21 on: 02/07/2019 05:58 am »
In comparison Trump has pretty much done nothing regarding HSF - no specific proposals, and nothing in his budget.

Trump only seems to pay attention to space when it makes him look good. Otherwise he could care less.
A comment which describes pretty much all of his interest in just about everything AFAIK.
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP stainless steel structure booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 1233
  • Likes Given: 756
« Reply #22 on: 02/07/2019 01:35 pm »
Marcia Smith notes that Pres. Trump mentioned past space achievements during the state-of-the-union address, but as to the future referred only to commercial crew, which will likely fly Americans before the end of his current term.  From the implied lack of interest (compare to Trump's previous state-of-the-union address), she infers that a relatively meager budget request for NASA may be in the offing.  He didn't even mention the Space Force, which is weird, considering how much play both the president and vice president were giving it in the second half of last year.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2019 01:37 pm by Proponent »

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 1233
  • Likes Given: 756
« Reply #23 on: 02/07/2019 02:14 pm »
President Trump's space policy continues on.  He is betting the ranch on commercial aspect of space.  Both BFR and New Glenn have a very high probability of flying before the POR.

The Trump administration's Space Policy Directives 2 and 3 are beneficial to commercial activity.  But I don't see how Pres. Trump is betting the ranch on commercial space.  Despite the progress by SpaceX and Blue Origin that you note, NASA remains committed to Orion and SLS.  If SpaceX and Blue disappeared tomorrow, what would change as far as the US government's space activities?  The biggest impact would be that NASA would be down to a single commercial provider each for both commercial cargo and commercial crew to ISS, but that's because of decisions made long before Trump entered office.  A few NASA and military launches would have to be shifted to Atlas V.  The Air Force's upcoming STP-2 payload would not be able to fly on Falcon Heavy, but it's just a test, and, again, it predates the Trump administration.  It appears to me that the Trump administration is actually less willing to gamble on commercial capabilities than the two preceding administrations were.

And that's despite the fact that Trump has personally acknowledged that the commercial sector can launch payloads much more cheaply than NASA.

On top of that, while the previous administration's efforts to terminate the boondoggle of Shuttle-derived heavy lift were stymied from without, by Congress, the Trump administration's own chief space-policy thinker, Scott Pace, is an enthusiastic supporter.

Finally, it seems to me that a putative pivot by the Trump administration toward greater reliance on commercial capabilities could easily be derailed by a supporter of Boeing, Lockheed, Orbital ATK or Northrup Grumman reminding Trump that Blue Origin is run by Jeff Bezos and SpaceX by Elon Musk.  Trump, who prominently holds grudges and personalizes conflicts, has publicly attacked Bezos and his companies (Amazon and The Washington Post).  As for Musk, the relationship has not been all bad but definitely rocky -- just google "Musk Trump."

EDIT:  Inserted crucial "not" in last sentence.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2019 05:59 pm by Proponent »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 6981
« Reply #24 on: 02/11/2019 04:47 pm »

A comment which describes pretty much all of his interest in just about everything AFAIK.
(mod)
And which is off topic. General policy discussions are off topic. Yeah, passing comment, so I didn't delete it but there will be periodic warnings about this.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3155
  • Likes Given: 8772
« Reply #25 on: 02/11/2019 09:23 pm »
During the SOTU he ceremoniously conflated CC first flights with Buzz being on the Moon almost 50 years ago coming up... Man, I'm getting old waiting to see it live again... :(
« Last Edit: 02/18/2019 12:29 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3155
  • Likes Given: 8772
« Reply #26 on: 02/16/2019 08:30 pm »
Given recent events one can't help to muse how things would be like in an "alternate universe" if the president expended all his political capital on spaceflight compared to his one obsession... Dare to dream I guess...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1674
  • Likes Given: 1998
« Reply #27 on: 03/22/2019 07:21 pm »
Given recent events one can't help to muse how things would be like in an "alternate universe" if the president expended all his political capital on spaceflight compared to his one obsession... Dare to dream I guess...

A statesmanlike 'I have a dream/before this decade' speech at the inauguration may already be too late if you've been stirring the pot of division through the election campaign.

Some other candidate less divisive might have been able to get the support to not spoil damn near anything he announces because of personal opposition in absence of other reasons.

Tags: