Author Topic: Trump has won. What is known about his views on space and can they change?  (Read 75122 times)

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2196
  • Likes Given: 12269
Donal Trump is now the next President.

This is the new reality.

So what does anyone know about his views on space and NASA, and what if anything about them would people like to change?

Let me emphasize.  This is specifically with regard to space policy, space plans etc. His views in other areas are irrelevant unless they touch on things like how he will approach international cooperation RE ISS, Mars expedition etc.

Likewise no election replays.  I would call 278 to 218 decisive.  He is going to be the President for the next 5 years barring illness, accident or assassination.

So what can he do for people in the space community, what do you think he will do for the community and what of his views about the community would you like to change?
« Last Edit: 11/09/2016 07:32 am by john smith 19 »
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¨cheap

Offline zodiacchris

• Port Macquarie, Australia
  • Liked: 1346
  • Likes Given: 1156
Hmmm, with the coming new worldwide recession now looming, space might just be a sideshow, no matter what Trump intends to do in regards to space :-[

And we thought Brexit was bad...

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
Hmmm, with the coming new worldwide recession now looming, space might just be a sideshow, no matter what Trump intends to do in regards to space :-[

And we thought Brexit was bad...
I will note that in the UK Brexit caused a sharp drop in both share prices and the exchange rate but within a few days the share prices had exceeded pre Brexit highs.

The £/$ exchange rate remains at levels not seen for 30 years. This has already caused US computer mfgs to hike their prices 20% because of "uncertainty."

However this is unhelpful. Keep in mind the whole NASA budget is less than the US spends on
a) Aircon for it's overseas military bases (DoD about $40Bn)
b) Home pizza delivery (about $27Bn).

Given how much NASA has to deliver (SLS, Orion, JWST, ISS, multiple probe missions), where it delivers it (space, from LEO to the fringes of the Kuiper belt) and who it has to deal with (government contractors) that's quite a lot of work for relatively little money.

Since Apollo (5% of US Govt spending) space has always been a side show (0.8% of USG spending?) in US politics  :(

The question is what sort of side show will it be in a Trump administration?
« Last Edit: 11/09/2016 08:05 am by john smith 19 »
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¨cheap

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4183
  • Likes Given: 2
DM

Offline redliox

• Arizona USA
  • Liked: 596
  • Likes Given: 89
The frank truth is he doesn't really HAVE a space policy of yet.  Speculating at this point is wasting time.  The only bit directly from his mouth was about prioritizing potholes over space.  That pretty much implies he could care less; then again that was essentially the case with (Bill) Clinton back in the day; the ISS only exists now because Clinton wanted to earn brownie points internationally which is partly how Russia got involved.  But, again, Trump has no true space policy for the moment.

...as to what I guess what'll happen?  I'll put in my 2-cents of speculation, although anything could happen.  Trump's advisors and the now-largely-Republican Congress will likely be eager to tear down ANYTHING trademarked as "Obama's Policies."  2 things I see happening 'for certain':

1) ARM (however how many Rs are in the acronym) is canceled.
2) Bolden is fired traded out for a new NASA administrator.

The SLS is being physically put together, so I don't think that would be torn apart.  I expect it to come under close review at the least though.  Orion's SM issues might be frowned upon, especially if it's dubbed "dependence on Europe" in the same light we were dependent on Russia for ISS flights.

Planetary Science might see improvements, since it was favored more or less universally and even defended against by White House budget cuts to it.

Trump spokesperson Robert Walker Op Ed in Space News...

http://spacenews.com/op-ed-donald-trumps-peace-through-strength-space-doctrine/

That vision sounds very militaristic, but then again I'm sure the air force has been wishing to increase "satellite security."  It doesn't elaborate on much beyond that...which seems consistent for an indifferent Trump.

I don't think we'll know what happens until Trump stands in front of a podium at a NASA center sometime next year.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3587
  • Likes Given: 220
I always thought the Republicans didn't mind space spending as long as it wasn't on Earth Resources.

Offline redliox

• Arizona USA
I always thought the Republicans didn't mind space spending as long as it wasn't on Earth Resources.

Pretty much, although most states with direct support for NASA tend to be "blue."  However this year it's noteworthy to see how a few have changed to "red."  If it makes the local governor or senator look good, he'll support it.
-Tigatron

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
Trump spokesperson Robert Walker Op Ed in Space News...

http://spacenews.com/op-ed-donald-trumps-peace-through-strength-space-doctrine/
Note this is space as National Security Space IE the military and intelligence communities. Interesting to note their comments about funding multiple launch vehicles.  It seems they don't believe that competition lowers costs given what CCCP has generated (2 new LV's and 3 SV's for < $5Bn).

Sounds like more money for LM and NASP 2.0. (or possibly 3.0 for those with long memories). The last time they let an AF General have a budget that flushed about $1Bn down the pan chasing the SCramjet. :(

OTOH if they are smart they might fund XS-1 to actually build a vehicle, or the USAFRL could move a SABRE powered vehicle forward, either of which is more likely to allow prompt response to threats and allow faster replacement of damaged satellites.

I hope ARM goes ahead. IMHO it has the potential/i] for delivering a viable, well shielded vehicle to take humans anywhere in the inner solar systems. It may not look like a nice shiny Buck Rogers rocketship, but 1-2metres of rock gives a lot of radiation protection.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2016 09:01 am by john smith 19 »

Offline redliox

• Arizona USA
I hope ARM goes ahead. IMHO it has the potential/i] for delivering a viable, well shielded vehicle to take humans anywhere in the inner solar systems. It may not look like a nice shiny Buck Rogers rocketship, but 1-2metres of rock gives a lot of radiation protection.

Tens of billions of dollars and another wasted decade...FOR A ROCK?  Good luck using that argument with Trump...
-Tigatron

Offline Star One

• UK

Pretty much, although most states with direct support for NASA tend to be "blue."  However this year it's noteworthy to see how a few have changed to "red."  If it makes the local governor or senator look good, he'll support it.

I reckon this will be good news for Europa exploration as the relevant Republicans have been pushing NASA along on this.

Offline redliox

• Arizona USA

I reckon this will be good news for Europa exploration as the relevant Republicans have been pushing NASA along on this.

Correct; lately Congress (including the Republicans) seems more kind-hearted toward probes whereas more critical to human spaceflight.
-Tigatron

Offline Star One

• UK

Correct; lately Congress (including the Republicans) seems more kind-hearted toward probes whereas more critical to human spaceflight.

Do you think this will have a negative effect on commercial human Spaceflight and ISS's survival?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4528
  • Likes Given: 13464
Just a slight correction, the president's term in office is 4 years not 5...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 17817
  • Likes Given: 395
who it has to deal with (government contractors) that's quite a lot of work for relatively little money.

What does that suppose to mean?

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1126
  • Likes Given: 171
Prediction: Private spaceflight/NASA private partnerships for BEO will get a vast bump in funding and priority.

Perhaps SLS gets nixed in favor of NASA funding/partnering with SPX/ULA for an HLV given SPX is already developing one.

Now let's see if it comes  true  8)
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4528
  • Likes Given: 13464
Maybe more private-state partnerships with that of his friend Putin meaning the Roscosmos State Corporation...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 140
It's still (largely) the same old congresspeople holding NASA's purse strings (and leash), so I'm not sure where people are getting the idea from that money will suddenly flow to certain NASA projects, or that there will be any significant departure from what is currently happening. Trump does not seem to be concerned with intricacies of policy, least of all when it comes to space exploration. Earth science might take a beating, but I can't see congress suddenly warming to commercial crew and cargo.

Offline Chris Bergin

I was also thinking Earth Science will take a hit, but I keep thinking back to the 2010 Authorization Act. Showed where the power of decision was. I also wonder if NASA will be just left to get on with it as Trump seems to be focused on numerous other things.

No idea, of course....
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2308
  • Likes Given: 2382
Once he formulates his overall policies, I think he wants to speed up our ability to get humans into space for national pride. 

He also may set a goal of getting to Mars, like Kennedy did for the moon. 

He is more focused and will focus on a goal like Mars, instead of building something with no payloads or overall goals. 

The markets are already rebounding from the shock.  Most hedge fund managers were democrat.  He is also far more interested in getting jobs back, which in the long run gets more federal revenue, which will get NASA more money. 

In my area alone, within 50 miles, we have lost 10-15,000 textile jobs.  Many of these factories were modernized and had new equipment, but went overseas with the free trade agreements.  Most were lower middle class wages, but they had health care.  In my hometown alone, we have lost around 3,000 textile jobs, 950 tire manufacturing jobs, 750 jobs with the bankrupcy of Ampex Corp, another 700 with the closing of Diversified Products exercise equipment, a foundry that made manhole covers, a welding company that made tree climbers.  My hometown has 25,000 people. 

I don't know what happened to these people, but some were union jobs.  If we can't make things to provide jobs, there will be no revenue from income tax, corporate income tax, etc.  Without returning to our sources of revenue, we can't afford a space program. 

Offline Chris Bergin

Heh, nice work embedding space into that, Spacenut! ;D But that reminds me that we need to keep it totally focused on space (My spidey senses feel we could easily go off topic here if we're not careful).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography