Author Topic: Paper states 234 stars signals probably from ETIs  (Read 4957 times)

Online faramund

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Paper states 234 stars signals probably from ETIs
« Reply #20 on: 11/01/2016 09:01 AM »
Science growths thanks to disagreement. If some reputable journal decided to publish it, and most people find it bad science, then many will write papers disproving it.

I also agree with that!

By the way, I'm very much against retraction of "bad" papers (unless there's obvious plagiarism). I think that retractions hurt the  scientific process. If an article turns out to be bad, it should be disproven, not retracted.
I totally concur that shame should be the most powerful incentive not to publish bad papers.
I think its more complicated than that - I'm widely published in an AI field - and its common for my students to aim a paper for a high quality journal. Some succeed, and some fail, but even in failing - they usually get a few - to many - useful comments/suggestions. So then they revise their paper in the light of those comments - and then resubmit somewhere else.

To be clear, this isn't retraction - its what happens because of rejection, i.e. a journal stating that it will not publish a paper.

Journals today keep records of every submission, and every revised submission they are sent - its just not public. If they were public, I don't think the appropriate reaction would be shame, but I'm sure many people would feel (needlessly) embarrassed. From both the point-of-view of a reviewer, and a submitter - its very rare for a paper to be accepted without any revisions being requested.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1571
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: Paper states 234 stars signals probably from ETIs
« Reply #21 on: 11/21/2017 10:59 PM »
And here’s an update.

Either Stars are Strange, or 234 Alien Species Are Trying to Contact Us

What we’re talking about here is a study from E.F. Borra and E. Trottier, two astronomers at Laval University in Canada. Their study, titled “Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small fraction of solar type stars” was published in the Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific.

The two astronomers used data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and analyzed the spectra of 2.5 million stars. Of all those stars, they found 234 stars that are producing a puzzling signal. That’s only a tiny percentage. And, they say, these signals “have exactly the shape of an ETI signal” that was predicted in a previous study by Borra.

The 234 stars in Borra and Trottier’s study aren’t random. They’re “overwhelmingly in the F2 to K1 spectral range” according to the abstract. That’s significant because this is a small range centred around the spectrum of our own Sun. And our own Sun is the only one we know of that has an intelligent species living near it. If ours does, maybe others do too?

The authors acknowledge five potential causes of their findings: instrumental and data reduction effects, rotational transitions in molecules, the Fourier transform of spectral lines, rapid pulsations, and finally the ETI signal predicted by Borra (2012). They dismiss molecules or pulsations as causes, and they deem it highly unlikely that the signals are caused by the Fourier analysis itself. This leaves two possible sources for the detected signals. Either they’re a result of the Sloan instrument itself and the data reduction, or they are in fact a signal from extra-terrestrial intelligences.

To sum it all up, the two astronomers have found a tiny number of stars, very similar to our own Sun, that seem to be the source of pulsed signals. These signals are the same as predicted if a technological society was using powerful lasers to communicate with distant stars.

We all want there to be aliens, and maybe the first sign of them will be pulsed light signals from stars like our own Sun. But it’s all still very preliminary, and as the authors acknowledge, “…at this stage, this hypothesis needs to be confirmed with further work.”

https://futurism.com/either-stars-are-strange-or-234-alien-species-are-trying-to-contact-us/

Tags: