Author Topic: Rebuilding SLC-40  (Read 274418 times)

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Rebuilding SLC-40
« Reply #400 on: 05/26/2017 05:09 PM »
edkyle99 I think the time it takes really is more a function of priorities than anything else. I think it's evident they decided to prioritize other stuff and leave the pad behind, not because it's physically impossible to repair it sooner; am I wrong on this? What I am trying to say is that they decided to leave it behind, because of a compromise given their launch backlog, cash flow, actual available resources (hiring people is a time consuming and expensive process) etc etc

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #401 on: 05/26/2017 05:11 PM »
I for one am more than happy with the launch cadence instead of flashy new stuff.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB/Mesquite, NV
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #402 on: 05/26/2017 05:19 PM »
Maybe they've cleaned out NASA's scrap yard, and can't find any good deals on ebay.

Musk needs a new heavy industries company to fabricate all the steel and such for rocket pads and other less exciting (boring) endeavours he might embark on.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2017 05:32 PM by pb2000 »
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3331
  • Likes Given: 2097
« Reply #403 on: 05/26/2017 05:23 PM »
Maybe they've cleaned out NASA's scrap yard, and can't find any good deals on ebay.

Musk needs a new heavy industries company to fabricate all the steel and such for rocket pads and other less exciting (boreing) endeavours he might embark on.

This is the 4th pad and T/E construction effort, so I think they have enough experience by now.

Offline ThePonjaX

• BsAs. - Argentina
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #404 on: 05/26/2017 05:48 PM »
edkyle99 I think the time it takes really is more a function of priorities than anything else. I think it's evident they decided to prioritize other stuff and leave the pad behind, not because it's physically impossible to repair it sooner; am I wrong on this? What I am trying to say is that they decided to leave it behind, because of a compromise given their launch backlog, cash flow, actual available resources (hiring people is a time consuming and expensive process) etc etc

We've the confirmation of this situation ? Because until now I just read a post about someone who "can" have inside information. 

I've to say I love the "new stuff" but as several people here say the cadence at this moment is more important.

Offline DOCinCT

« Reply #405 on: 05/26/2017 05:48 PM »
Didn't we already know that SLC 40 was not going to be ready until "Fall" at the earliest?  Autumn in the northern hemisphere doesn't end until December 21!
I have always expected at least a one-year effort to restore the site to service. 
 - Ed Kyle
Meteorological winter starts on Dec 1; autumn Sep 1.  Pick your "poison".

Online ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5226
  • Likes Given: 645
« Reply #406 on: 05/26/2017 06:32 PM »
Didn't we already know that SLC 40 was not going to be ready until "Fall" at the earliest?  Autumn in the northern hemisphere doesn't end until December 21!

I have always expected at least a one-year effort to restore the site to service. 

- Ed Kyle

No.  Latest we have is that SLC-40 is on track for August activation.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #407 on: 05/26/2017 06:35 PM »

Musk needs a new heavy industries company to fabricate all the steel and such for rocket pads and other less exciting (boring) endeavours he might embark on.

Hey, rig up his boring machines to cut through nickle-iron and send them to 16 Psyche!  He'd have plenty of metal to build with then!
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Mangala

• Portugal
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #408 on: 05/26/2017 09:05 PM »

- Ed Kyle

Glad to see that Chris. My purpose was not to attack the post of this guy in the French Forum, as he was very neutral in his comment. No, what's bothered me is that others jumped, or could have jumped, very quickly in attacking SpaceX, or Elon Musk, just because!
Having good arguments about SpaceX difficulties to restore the pad is one thing, bashing SpaceX only because some hopeful communication about the time they would clear the work in SLC-40 it is like taking vantage of true difficulties to feed their despise against SpaceX and what it represents. So, finding here, or elsewhere, good arguments to counter these bashing naysayers is always better than commenting without arguments and risking to appear like some one who has some blinding faith, cult about Elon Musk or having drinking too much SpaceX kool-aid... ;)

And I tried to find the last info he made like this one, I didn't succeed, but now I'm not sure he referred, at that time, having inside info from SpaceX or rather from someone in KSC, the latter sounds now more familiar to me.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2017 09:06 PM by Mangala »

Online Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #409 on: 05/26/2017 09:33 PM »

- Ed Kyle

But in fairness, we also had information LC-39A was "activated" several months before the first launch so ...
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1091
  • Likes Given: 7350
« Reply #410 on: 05/29/2017 02:26 PM »

We've the confirmation of this situation ? Because until now I just read a post about someone who "can" have inside information. 

I've to say I love the "new stuff" but as several people here say the cadence at this moment is more important.
Good point. Last time I checked the manifest SX wanted to launch 25 payloads this year.  IIRC this is possible if they can maintain a 3 week launch cadence at VAFB and a 2 week launch cadence at the Cape. They did this for 2 launches in a row but the question is can they keep it up? It also needed SLC40 to come back on line on time and of course to have no more launch mishaps causing another stand down.
BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #411 on: 05/29/2017 02:54 PM »

Good point. Last time I checked the manifest SX wanted to launch 25 payloads this year.  IIRC this is possible if they can maintain a 3 week launch cadence at VAFB and a 2 week launch cadence at the Cape. They did this for 2 launches in a row but the question is can they keep it up? It also needed SLC40 to come back on line on time and of course to have no more launch mishaps causing another stand down.

I am hoping they get to at least 18 for this year. Its the guess I did at the beginning of the year.  :)
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 1788
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #412 on: 05/29/2017 06:40 PM »
  Manifest excerpt  Count  LC40" "  SLC4E" "  LC39A
" "" " Interval  Launch date  Interval  Launch date  Interval  Launch date
  Dragon (CRS-11)  7  " "  " "  " "  " "  0  06/01/17
  BulgariaSat-1  8  " "  " "  " "  " "  15  06/16/17
  Intelsat 35e         9  " "  " "  " "  " "  15  07/01/17
  Iridium NEXT (Flight 2)   10  " "  " "  0  06/25/17  " "  " "
  SES-11/Echostar 105  11  " "  " "  " "  " "  15  07/16/17
  Formosat-5  12  " "  " "  21  07/16/17  " "  " "
  Koreasat 5A  13  " "  " "  " "  " "  15  07/31/17
  Iridium NEXT (Flight 3)        14  " "  " "  21  08/06/17  " "  " "
  RTLS  Dragon (CRS-12)  15  0  08/25/17  " "  " "  " "  " "
  Falcon Heavy Demo Flight  16  " "  " "  " "  " "  60  09/29/17
                  25-1 (B) B1023  RTLS
                       (B)        RTLS
  US Air Force (STP-2)  17  " "  " "  " "  " "  30  10/29/17
  SES-16/GovSat  18  45  10/09/17  " "  " "  " "  " "
  Iridium NEXT (Flight 4)  19  " "  " "  45  09/20/17  " "  " "
  PAZ  20  " "  " "  21  10/11/17  " "  " "
  SAOCOM 1A  21  " "  " "  21  11/01/17  " "  " "
  Dragon (CRS-13)  22  21  10/30/17  " "  " "  " "  " "
  SES-14 / GOLD  23  30  11/29/17  " "  " "  " "  " "
  CCTCAP In-Flgt Abrt Test  24  " "  " "  " "  " "  45  12/13/17
  Iridium NEXT (Flight 5)  25  " "  " "  30  12/01/17  " "  " "
  Bangabandhu-1     26  21  12/20/17  " "  " "  " "  " "

Edited: corrected table line up and understandability
« Last Edit: 05/30/2017 05:01 PM by oldAtlas_Eguy »

Offline AJW

• Liked: 490
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #413 on: 05/30/2017 04:30 AM »
Jim stated earlier in this thread that the TEL would be the long pole in the schedule.   Would there be any advantage to building two TELS at this time, or as the Brits say, an heir and a spare?  Could this shorten the delay in the event of another pad failure, or speed up processing if one is damaged during a launch?

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 5137
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #414 on: 05/30/2017 04:42 AM »
Jim stated earlier in this thread that the TEL would be the long pole in the schedule.   Would there be any advantage to building two TELS at this time, or as the Brits say, an heir and a spare?  Could this shorten the delay in the event of another pad failure, or speed up processing if one is damaged during a launch?
It wouldn't make much sense to spend time and resources building a spare when there are other, working TELs that need building or upgrading. Maybe in another year or two. Having an extra to swap in while they're working on the other one could make sense in Florida. Keep from taking a pad down every time you need to do something to a TEL.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2017 04:45 AM by Nomadd »

Online jpo234

• Liked: 754
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #415 on: 05/30/2017 12:21 PM »

Read what Shawn told us about the TEL construction:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=52072
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline bob the martian

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #416 on: 05/30/2017 04:16 PM »

I am hoping they get to at least 18 for this year. Its the guess I did at the beginning of the year.  :)

I'm getting the feeling that SpaceX are finally in third gear - they've been there on the manufacturing end for a while, and now they're getting there in pad operations.  In a way it's kind of a good thing they've built up this backlog, because it gives them the opportunity to establish and maintain a rapid cadence over a longish period of time, allowing them to optimize operations and lower costs even further. 

If they can make it a full year with no kabooms, then the end result will be nothing less than stunning - routine rocket launches and landings of the sort that STS promised but could never deliver.  And in a ridiculously short amount of time, all things considered. 

Offline envy887

• Liked: 2131
  • Likes Given: 1273
« Reply #417 on: 05/30/2017 04:20 PM »
It wouldn't make much sense to spend time and resources building a spare when there are other, working TELs that need building or upgrading. Maybe in another year or two. Having an extra to swap in while they're working on the other one could make sense in Florida. Keep from taking a pad down every time you need to do something to a TEL.

The TELs are pad-specific, so there's no greater reason to have a spare in Florida as opposed to VAFB or Boca. Except, perhaps, because the Florida pads might see higher flight rates so it's more important to keep them operating.

Offline MP99

« Reply #418 on: 06/04/2017 08:04 PM »
There was a NASA technical report on lox supercooling posted a while back with details on a process which is likely broadly similar to SpaceX's.  IIRC it operated at ambient pressure. SpaceX achieved greater cooling than the NASA prototype equipment did; speculation is that they are drawing a partial vacuum in order to achieve the lower temperatures.
Sorry for a bit of necro on this thread, but the NASA process put the LO2 through one LN2 bath boiling at atmospheric pressure, followed by another boiling in partial vacuum (maintained by extraction fan, IIRC).

Cheers, Martin

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #419 on: 06/07/2017 11:23 AM »
Slightly newer image (May 8th).

Thanks due to Deimos Imaging, who dug this out by request  :)

https://twitter.com/deimosimaging/status/872410477489512448

Tags: