Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 (F9-S1-0028) Reuse Testing Coverage  (Read 31808 times)

Online kevinof

• Antibes
  • Liked: 428
  • Likes Given: 490
SpaceX Falcon 9 (F9-S1-0028) Reuse Testing Coverage
« Reply #40 on: 08/23/2016 10:17 PM »
It did. See post above.

I'm actually curious if the new Falcon transporter made an appearance.  It would be nice to see what that thing looks like with a stage on top.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2016 10:17 PM by kevinof »

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 707
  • Likes Given: 52
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 (F9-S1-0028) Reuse Testing Coverage
« Reply #41 on: 08/24/2016 05:53 PM »
SpaceX New Transporter - JCSAT-16 - 08-24-2016
USLaunchReport

« Last Edit: 08/24/2016 05:55 PM by Scylla »
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1753
  • Likes Given: 393
« Reply #42 on: 08/27/2016 08:37 AM »

Offline DOCinCT

« Reply #43 on: 08/27/2016 05:42 PM »
quote author=Scylla
"I reject your reality and substitute one of my own" isn't that from Adam on Mythbusters?

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 707
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #44 on: 08/27/2016 05:48 PM »
quote author=Scylla
"I reject your reality and substitute one of my own" isn't that from Adam on Mythbusters?
Nope...4th Doctor.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Online ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 854
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #45 on: 08/27/2016 08:30 PM »
Quote from: Scylla
"I reject your reality and substitute one of my own"
isn't that from Adam on Mythbusters?
Nope...4th Doctor.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.
Am I allowed to be pedantic (with a smile and no actual feelings about it)?  Everyone these days knows Adam Savage from Mythbusters said, "I reject your reality and substitute my own." at some point while filming the rear axle myth in the "Explosive Decompression" episode, which aired 2004-01-11.  In "The Dungeonmaster" (1984), right at the 25-minute mark, the protagonist says, "I reject your reality, and I substitute my own." (That's *slightly* different phrasing, but it is not unfathomable that Adam would've seen the movie, and the loss of an "I" is pardonable.)  Looking at transcripts of the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) serial, "The Deadly Assassin", The Doctor did not actually use that line, just the concept, at the beginning of part three, original air date 1976-11-13.  (For reference, see a transcript; search for "DOCTOR: I deny this reality." to find the scene).  I just watched far too much of "The Dungeonmaster" just for pedantry's sake, and I've got the Doctor Who "The Deadly Assassin" serial on the way to me from Netflix to verify the transcript. ;)

Okay, and back on the dual topics of transport of the latest stage *and* pedantry, is it just me, or did all nine blue covers get installed with the "SpaceX" oriented right-side up, as it were?  Someone had previously noted that there was always at least one "creatively-oriented" cover during previous stage transports, so while it matters about as much as where a quote originally came from, may as well comment on it.  ;D

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 804
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #46 on: 08/27/2016 09:00 PM »

Funny enough the Spacehab building SpaceX recently acquired is in the background.
And this is a good reminder that just because one of your fellow space enthusiasts occasionally voices doubts about the SpaceX schedule announcements or is cautious about believing SpaceX has licked a problem before actually seeing proof that's true, it doesn't mean they hate SpaceX.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2055
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #47 on: 08/29/2016 05:26 PM »
If the reuse test program is successful then this core (0028) may not require extensive testing. The same is even more true for 0027. So hopefully these threads will be quite short. Suggest consolidating the reuse test program into 1 thread?

That is a good idea, and you are correct about the testing, but I would keep a close look on this booster's future.

Perhaps this post passed under the radar when it was initially made.  Anyone want to speculate on the interesting future in store for this particular core?

I'll wager FH, just because of my special affection for Heavy. ;)

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1218
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #48 on: 08/29/2016 05:43 PM »
If the reuse test program is successful then this core (0028) may not require extensive testing. The same is even more true for 0027. So hopefully these threads will be quite short. Suggest consolidating the reuse test program into 1 thread?

That is a good idea, and you are correct about the testing, but I would keep a close look on this booster's future.

Perhaps this post passed under the radar when it was initially made.  Anyone want to speculate on the interesting future in store for this particular core?

This 1-stage (Center) booster core doesn't currently have the mounting points for the Engine section brackets or internal thrust beam to support the the loads and attachment of the 0-stage side booster cores. I'm not if this particular core can be made to fly in the FH configuration.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2055
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #49 on: 08/29/2016 06:25 PM »
There's a used stage sitting outside Hawthorne right now with engines and octoweb removed.  So this deficiency could be remedied. (And I was thinking of this as a side booster, not a center core.)

But come on, my guess was plausible. That won't do!  Doesn't anyone want to lay their wager on a greenhouse to Mars or a lunar pathfinder mission?  Or a dark horse DARPA XS-1 entry?
« Last Edit: 08/29/2016 06:26 PM by cscott »

Offline enzo

• USA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 713
« Reply #50 on: 08/30/2016 02:41 AM »
Some radars do seem to have been undergoing maintenance during that post—  though I was still proud to have gained a rare public-side post from SX_MS.  8)
I do not want to speculate, but I find it interesting that all the reuse attention is going to Thaicom-8 and JCSAT-16 cores—at one point we were told that GTO launches had sustained greater damage, and thus the CRS cores were more likely to be in prime condition. As far as I know the current status of the CRS cores (if they are still in one piece) is unclear.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2554
  • Likes Given: 529
« Reply #51 on: 08/30/2016 02:55 AM »

My vote is it gets used for the Dragon unmanned DM-1 test flight, lands on OCISLY, then gets expended on the in-flight abort test.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 03:01 AM by Kabloona »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 3262
  • Likes Given: 1908
« Reply #52 on: 08/30/2016 02:57 AM »
I do not want to speculate, but I find it interesting that all the reuse attention is going to Thaicom-8 and JCSAT-16 cores—at one point we were told that GTO launches had sustained greater damage, and thus the CRS cores were more likely to be in prime condition. As far as I know the current status of the CRS cores (if they are still in one piece) is unclear.

The cores you're actually going to refly with customer payloads are the last ones you'd touch while you're figuring out the retest/refurbish process.

Tags: